Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 week old bleeding from butt. Please help!

Default Re: 5 week old bleeding from butt. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    How many doses of pepto has he had and when did you start giving it to him?
    He has had 3 doses. I started him on it sometime around 1 p.m yesterday. His poop is still light brown and very runny so im not sure if i'm supposed to give him another dose or not. It looks like the blood has cleared up though

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jpars from:

frankc (09-29-2020)

Hi. Check this link it may helpand explain some very important things. It's Titled 12 common Stool problems in Squirrels.

I hope this helps in some way. It' great info to have on hand. It is a PDF file.

http://www.ewildagain.org/assets/sto...ssquirrels.pdf
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to frankc from:

SammysMom (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jpars View Post
    Oh ok, that article explains a lot. So as long as i keep his formula the same it should start to get solid again? It was solid when I first found him, but i messed up by feeding him formula that wasn't rich enough in nutrients and ended up changing it.
    How is his poop today?

I would expect that little by little with a consistent, healthy diet his poop should get better and better. The flora and fauna of the digestive tract need to find a healthy equilibrium.

What means are you using to feed the squirrel?

Young juveniles are inclined to inhale food, literally and figuratively. Both are a problem. If food gets inhaled into the pulmonary system this can lead to inhalation pneumonia, which can turn fatal before you even realize what is going on. They can be inclined inhale rather than swallowing and swallowing rather than inhaling. Both cause problems. Pneumonia on the one hand and bloating on the other.

So, it is critical that the food be provided at a moderate rate to prevent both problems.

Is the squirrel being kept warm? Are you using the recommended heating pad set up?

Squirrels at this age snuggle all day with mom and siblings and have limited body hair and limited capacity to generate their own body heat. So if they are not supplied with supplementary warmth they are much vulnerable to other forms of illness.

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Hi. Check this link it may helpand explain some very important things. It's Titled 12 common Stool problems in Squirrels.

I hope this helps in some way. It' great info to have on hand. It is a PDF file.

Hi Sorry the top link may not work, Please try this one.
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    How is his poop today?

I would expect that little by little with a consistent, healthy diet his poop should get better and better. The flora and fauna of the digestive tract need to find a healthy equilibrium.

What means are you using to feed the squirrel?

Young juveniles are inclined to inhale food, literally and figuratively. Both are a problem. If food gets inhaled into the pulmonary system this can lead to inhalation pneumonia, which can turn fatal before you even realize what is going on. They can be inclined inhale rather than swallowing and swallowing rather than inhaling. Both cause problems. Pneumonia on the one hand and bloating on the other.

So, it is critical that the food be provided at a moderate rate to prevent both problems.

Is the squirrel being kept warm? Are you using the recommended heating pad set up?

Squirrels at this age snuggle all day with mom and siblings and have limited body hair and limited capacity to generate their own body heat. So if they are not supplied with supplementary warmth they are much vulnerable to other forms of illness.
    His poop is still light brown and very runny so no improvements there sadly, although it might be getting ever so slightly darker so maybe thats good. And i am using a 3cc syringe with a nipple on it to feed him very slowly. He is laying on a bed sheet that is half way over a heating pad, so if he gets too hot he can climb over to the cooler side.

Are you still feeding him the temporary goat's milk formula?

It might be worth going over the guidelines for formula... no following these guidelines can cause diarrhea too.
    1) The temporary HGMF+ is good for about 48 hours after it is combined.
    2) Formula should be stored in the refrigerator
    3) Never "re-heat / re-use" warmed formula.. if it was warmed for feeding but not used, toss it.
    4) Do not microwave formula to warm it for feeding; microwaving destroys the good bacteria that is needed

If you are ordering Fox Valley and have not ordered that yet, I'd recommend ordering some Dia-Stat... I am a big fan of DiaStat for resolving chronic diarrhea issues.

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Hi Sorry the top link may not work, Please try this one.
    Yea thats a very helpful article thank you 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Are you still feeding him the temporary goat's milk formula?

It might be worth going over the guidelines for formula... no following these guidelines can cause diarrhea too.
    1) The temporary HGMF+ is good for about 48 hours after it is combined.
    2) Formula should be stored in the refrigerator
    3) Never "re-heat / re-use" warmed formula.. if it was warmed for feeding but not used, toss it.
    4) Do not microwave formula to warm it for feeding; microwaving destroys the good bacteria that is needed

If you are ordering Fox Valley and have not ordered that yet, I'd recommend ordering some Dia-Stat... I am a big fan of DiaStat for resolving chronic diarrhea issues.

What is Dia-Stat made of?

For Treating Diarrhea

DIA-STAT helps normalize stool consistency. Provides energy and electrolytes rapidly to the animal to help restore lost fluids. Mix with water only, not milk or milk formula. Use for all orphaned mammals. Net wt. 200 g.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Sodium, Min. ... 2.20%
    Potassium, Min. ... 0.50%
    Magnesium, Min. ... 0.06%
    Dextrose, Min. ... 40.00%
    Ingredients:

Dextrose, Rice Flour, Coconut Oil, Salt, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Calcium lactate, Fructooligosaccharide, Magnesium Sulfate, Citric Acid, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Citrate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Streptococcus faecium fermentation product,Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Amino Acid Blend, Natural and Artificial flavors.

Mixing directions:

Shake 1 teaspoon into 3 ounces of warm (100 F) water. Feed soon after mixing as the liquid will thicken upon setting. Start feeding as soon as possible after indications that the animal needs supplemental energy and electrolytes.
    Made inthe USA.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Mel1959 (09-30-2020)

His poop is still light brown and very runny so no improvements there sadly, although it might be getting ever so slightly darker so maybe thats good.
    A squirrel fed strictly on formula typically has light gold, soft, well-formed pellets.

As the squirrel gets older and solids begin to get added to the diet, the poop becomes darker in color.

From your description, I would say that color is okay, but consistency is not.

Am I correct in assuming that there is no more bleeding?

To review, what are the components of the formula being currently given?

Can you post a photo of the squirrel?

This helps the members assess the overall health of the squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    For Treating Diarrhea

DIA-STAT helps normalize stool consistency. Provides energy and electrolytes rapidly to the animal to help restore lost fluids. Mix with water only, not milk or milk formula. Use for all orphaned mammals. Net wt. 200 g.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Sodium, Min. ... 2.20%
    Potassium, Min. ... 0.50%
    Magnesium, Min. ... 0.06%
    Dextrose, Min. ... 40.00%
    Ingredients:

Dextrose, Rice Flour, Coconut Oil, Salt, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Calcium lactate, Fructooligosaccharide, Magnesium Sulfate, Citric Acid, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Citrate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Streptococcus faecium fermentation product,Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Amino Acid Blend, Natural and Artificial flavors.

Mixing directions:

Shake 1 teaspoon into 3 ounces of warm (100 F) water. Feed soon after mixing as the liquid will thicken upon setting. Start feeding as soon as possible after indications that the animal needs supplemental energy and electrolytes.
    Made inthe USA.
    Ill start giving him dia stat tommorow. It should be here by then

A squirrel fed strictly on formula typically has light gold, soft, well-formed pellets.

As the squirrel gets older and solids begin to get added to the diet, the poop becomes darker in color.

From your description, I would say that color is okay, but consistency is not.

Am I correct in assuming that there is no more bleeding?

To review, what are the components of the formula being currently given?
    Oh ok, so the color is definitely fine, thats good. Thankfully the bleeding is gone. And yesterday i was feeding him a mixture of goat milk heavy whipping cream and yogurt but i took him to the vet and they said that the whipping cream was bad so i removed that from his feedings until this morning when his fox valley formula arrived.

Can you post a photo of the squirrel?

This helps the members assess the overall health of the squirrel.
    Name:  20200930_161748.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  94.2 KB

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jpars from:

Rock Monkey (09-30-2020)

Oh ok, so the color is definitely fine, thats good. Thankfully the bleeding is gone. And yesterday i was feeding him a mixture of goat milk heavy whipping cream and yogurt but i took him to the vet and they said that the whipping cream was bad so i removed that from his feedings until this morning when his fox valley formula arrived.
    It is true that many squirrels have a difficult time with the heavy cream...

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

stepnstone (10-02-2020)

Everything in focus except the squirrel. Always on the move I suppose.

Can you post another that is more of a close up, showing the full length.

Poop pictures will also be useful. (It is part of the job description of being a squirrel caretaker, looking for poop that is.)

Everything in focus except the squirrel. Always on the move I suppose.

Can you post another that is more of a close up, showing the full length.

Poop pictures will also be useful. (It is part of the job description of being a squirrel caretaker, looking for poop that is.)
    Name:  20201001_153052.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  107.0 KBName:  20201001_153526.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  78.7 KB

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jpars from:

Rock Monkey (10-02-2020)

Are both eyes open? Or just one? It is a little hard to tell in the second pic. Also just might be resting.

Any improvement in the consistency today?

Do you have a food scale? If so, is he gaining weight?

(Such a scale can be purchased for under $20 at Walmart and other locations.)

It is always a good idea to review feeding proper techniques since young squirrels are inclined to literally and figuratively inhale the food they are being given. Unfortunately, aspiration pneumonia, which is often fatal, is all too common with novice caretakers. Better to be forearmed with knowledge rather than be behind the curve, which with squirrels is steep. (I intend no offense, but just trying to be proactive. I would just rather not assume.)

Are both eyes open? Or just one? It is a little hard to tell in the second pic. Also just might be resting.

Any improvement in the consistency today?

Do you have a food scale? If so, is he gaining weight?

(Such a scale can be purchased for under $20 at Walmart and other locations.)

It is always a good idea to review feeding proper techniques since young squirrels are inclined to literally and figuratively inhale the food they are being given. Unfortunately, aspiration pneumonia, which is often fatal, is all too common with novice caretakers. Better to be forearmed with knowledge rather than be behind the curve, which with squirrels is steep. (I intend no offense, but just trying to be proactive. I would just rather not assume.)
    Both eyes are open. He made his first succesful jump to my arm today 😀 and no his poop is still pretty runny but i think its starting to solidify very slowly. I dont have a food scale yet, im gonna buy one tomorrow though. I would like to start him on the dia-stat but the vet has me giving him antibiotics so i dont want to overload his system. And he looks like he is gaining a good amount of weight, he's a little chonker now lol

I dont have a food scale yet, im gonna buy one tomorrow though.
    The scale is very important. Especially with formula it is difficult to know how much to feed him if you don't know his weight. Their stomachs are only so big and you don't want to overload their intestinal system. This can cause all sorts of problems.

5% of body weight per feeding is a good conservative starting point. If well tolerated it may over time be increased to 7%.

Beware that squirrels are so eager to eat that they sometimes inhale when they should swallow and swallow when they should inhale.

What size syringe are you using to feed the squirrel?

The antibiotics from the vet will likely kill off the flora and fauna of the intestinal tract, which likely will result in more loose stool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast