Thread: Saved chipmunk w/possible head trauma, how to help

Default Saved chipmunk w/possible head trauma, how to help

Hi there, so my cat caught a chipmunk yesterday and I was able to save him before more damage was done. The tip of his tail is gone but other than that, I didn’t find any puncture wounds or bleeding. Behind his left ear was wet with saliva from my cat catching him but that’s it. I assumed he was in shock but okay so I tried to help.

I first tried to relocate him outside safely but seeing him on the ground, I noticed that his head tilts to one side and was only able to walk in a circle before falling on his side. So I took him inside and put him in a box with a towel to rest while I figured out what to do. Many years ago, I did rescue and raise a baby squirrel for several months that was pink and hairless when found into a healthy adult so I have some novice knowledge.

Yesterday, I just kept it warm and protected in the box to rest in a spare room with door closed but window open for sound. This morning, I was able to give some water, little bits of apple and plain peanuts. He can eat and hold food and drank from a syringe. He has pooped and urinated several times and is alternating between active or napping when I check but the head tilt and gait are unchanged.

I do have some meloxicam and prednisone that I could give but I don’t know if and how much to do so. The head tilt worries me and I don’t know how bad off he is but he made it through the night so I need to do something.
    What should I do to help him?

Default Re: Saved chipmunk w/possible head trauma, how to help

Should I post this in another forum?

If he was caught by a cat, he will need antibiotics. Even the slightest scratch or bite can be deadly to a squirrel (including chipmunks).

If you can locate any antibiotics, someone will help determining if those antibiotics will be effective and help with dosing.

Prednisone and meloxicam (NSAID) cannot be given together.

We'll need to know how much he weighs to dose medications. Also the strength of the medication. If the head tilt is severe, prednisone would be the way to go IMO..

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

frankc (09-27-2020), Nancy in New York (09-27-2020), Rainygirl (09-26-2020)

Thank you for the info! I do have some antibiotics on hand but I don’t have a scale to determine his weight so I can type up the dosage of all of the medication I have to offer him but I can’t weigh him. So not sure what to do.

Are there any rehabbers in the Atlanta area that can take him to treat him? I checked with AWARE but they’re not taking any new animals at the moment. I just want to help as best as I can so he has a chance to recover and be free again.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rainygirl from:

frankc (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainygirl View Post
    Thank you for the info! I do have some antibiotics on hand but I don’t have a scale to determine his weight so I can type up the dosage of all of the medication I have to offer him but I can’t weigh him. So not sure what to do.

Tell us what antibiotics and strength. Is this a full grown chipmunk? If you can post a picture with something next to him for reference (like a soda can, a soup can.. something common to provide reference to his size) we can guesstimate his weight to start.

Are there any rehabbers in the Atlanta area that can take him to treat him? I checked with AWARE but they’re not taking any new animals at the moment. I just want to help as best as I can so he has a chance to recover and be free again.

I know everyone is very full. I am not in Atlanta but on Lake Hartwell... if you can get him here I will try to help him. With the squirrels I am already caring I cannot leave for long...

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

frankc (09-27-2020), Mel1959 (09-26-2020), Nancy in New York (09-27-2020)

This is a big help, thank you. Chippy wanted a lot of water this morning as compared to yesterday. He didn’t want any plain sunflower seeds but put a few peanut halves in his cheeks for later and a nibble of apple. He seemed more calm with me and the head tilt really comes out when he’s stressed/scared so I haven’t seen it yet this AM.

Amoxicillin/clav - 875/125mg per tablet (14 pills)

Prednisone - 10mg per tablet (40 pills)

Meloxicam - 1.5mg per ml (4 ml)

This is what I have so far, I can get more medicine or food if I need to.

I don’t know how mature of a chippy he is but I did take some photos to see if that helps.
    Thank you for offering to take him, if I can’t take care of him, I will drive to you as you’ve been so gracious.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Tell us what antibiotics and strength. Is this a full grown chipmunk? If you can post a picture with something next to him for reference (like a soda can, a soup can.. something common to provide reference to his size) we can guesstimate his weight to start.

I know everyone is very full. I am not in Atlanta but on Lake Hartwell... if you can get him here I will try to help him. With the squirrels I am already caring I cannot leave for long...
    Thank you once again Spanky. YOU have never let us down.
    We so appreciate YOU!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

frankc (09-27-2020)

This is a big help, thank you. Chippy wanted a lot of water this morning as compared to yesterday. He didn’t want any plain sunflower seeds but put a few peanut halves in his cheeks for later and a nibble of apple. He seemed more calm with me and the head tilt really comes out when he’s stressed/scared so I haven’t seen it yet this AM.

Amoxicillin/clav - 875/125mg per tablet (14 pills)

Prednisone - 10mg per tablet (40 pills)

Meloxicam - 1.5mg per ml (4 ml)

This is what I have so far, I can get more medicine or food if I need to.

I don’t know how mature of a chippy he is but I did take some photos to see if that helps.
    Thank you for offering to take him, if I can’t take care of him, I will drive to you as you’ve been so gracious.

OK this picture next to the soda can isn't too helpful. Can you get something a little smaller
    like a tennis ball, or a ruler?
    I will dose for 50 grams, and wait for you to give me a better guesstimate.
    In other words, just dose ONCE and then we will do the correct weight in grams
    You can buy a GRAM scale at places like Bed Bath and Beyond or even Walmart.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

frankc (09-27-2020)

Looks to be an adolescent chippy to me. I am going to send dosing for a 50gram chipmunk (squirrel)... hopefully others will weigh in on my "guess"... I am not overly confident in my estimate on this one....

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

frankc (09-27-2020), Rainygirl (09-27-2020)

Okay thanks, I’m doing my best with what I have on hand as I wasn't prepared. I will work on it, thank you for the dosing.

Any other guidance on food, water or other things to be aware of?

Edit: able to borrow a food scale from neighbor. Appears to be about .053kg?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Chipmunk diets parallel squirrel diets, here is the healthy diet pyramid:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

He is a juvenile and I would try to get him to take Esbilac Puppy Formula, powdered version with an expiration date of 10/2021 or later. Not just any puppy formula, the Esbilac formula is the only one well matched to a squirrels nutritional needs).

A dark, quiet place is the best. He would appreciate piles of fleece or flannel to burrow into.