Thread: WHEENING 7 WK OLD**HELP PLEASE***

Exclamation WHEENING 7 WK OLD**HELP PLEASE***

Hey there i am new to this forum and a new squirrel momma , about three weeks ago I rescued a grey squirrel , I've been bottle feeding it but I know its time to get it to start eating solids but wants nothing to do with it ... how did everyone handle this and what are some tips I could use. Also he still seems really scared when I first go into handle him ( which I do three or four times daily ) but he still jerks a little when I go in, I do want to point out that I've had him since his eyes were closed so he should know my scent and touch right?. Any help would be greatly appreciated I want him to be comfortable and not stressed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: WHEENING 7 WK OLD**HELP PLEASE***

NOOOOOOO! Don't wean a 7 week old squirrel! That is way to young - mama hangs onto them until they are 9 or 10 weeks old and she does not bring them food back to the nest - squirrels don't do that, the babies are nursing.. We don't wean our squirrels here, we let them wean themselves. At 6 or 7 weeks old, continue formula feeding as before but begin to leave a squirrel block (https://www.henryspets.com/diets/) in their enclosure during the day. They will probably play with and tear up and pee on the first ones and that is fine; gradually their natural inclination to wean will show up at the time they realize they actually LIKE those blocks and it will happen naturally. Formula is a safeguard for good health for them - things become trickier once they stop eating it. So let them have it as long as they will take it!

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

bre (09-30-2020), frankc (09-27-2020), Mialouise (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by melzie1822 View Post
    Hey there i am new to this forum and a new squirrel momma , about three weeks ago I rescued a grey squirrel , I've been bottle feeding it but I know its time to get it to start eating solids but wants nothing to do with it ... how did everyone handle this and what are some tips I could use. Also he still seems really scared when I first go into handle him ( which I do three or four times daily ) but he still jerks a little when I go in, I do want to point out that I've had him since his eyes were closed so he should know my scent and touch right?. Any help would be greatly appreciated I want him to be comfortable and not stressed.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Being new at this and mentioning "bottle feeding" makes me cringe at the thought and I hope
    you don't actually mean bottle as that is a dangerous way to be feeding a baby squirrel.

How did you determine it's age?
    Squirrels are fed between 5-7% of their body weight, do you have a weight on this baby to
    know how much it should actually be eating per feeding?
    What formula are you feeding?

Linked below is information on baby squirrel care:
    Go to this link this is a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

If you will post a picture of baby it can help to evaluate it's over all condition
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mialouise (09-27-2020)

[QUOTE=CritterMom;1322351]NOOOOOOO! Don't wean a 7 week old squirrel! That is way to young - mama hangs onto them until they are 9 or 10 weeks old and she does not bring them food back to the nest - squirrels don't do that, the babies are nursing.. We don't wean our squirrels here, we let them wean themselves. At 6 or 7 weeks old, continue formula feeding as before but begin to leave a squirrel block (https://www.henryspets.com/diets/) in their enclosure during the day. They will probably play with and tear up and pee on the first ones and that is fine; gradually their natural inclination to wean will show up at the time they realize they actually LIKE those blocks and it will happen naturally. Formula is a safeguard for good health for them - things become trickier once they stop eating it. So let them have it as long as they will take it![/QUOT

" thank you so much I was worried I wasdoing something wrong I really appreciate the advice and tips I'm so glad I found this place . I want the best for my lil one "

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Being new at this and mentioning "bottle feeding" makes me cringe at the thought and I hope
    you don't actually mean bottle as that is a dangerous way to be feeding a baby squirrel.

How did you determine it's age?
    Squirrels are fed between 5-7% of their body weight, do you have a weight on this baby to
    know how much it should actually be eating per feeding?
    What formula are you feeding?

Linked below is information on baby squirrel care:
    Go to this link this is a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

If you will post a picture of baby it can help to evaluate it's over all condition

No not bottle feeding I just put that , should have said formula feeding i apologize, Im not sure how to attach a photo I researched what different ages of squirrels should look like on multiple sites ... wasn't aware I needed to weigh him but have been following the amount " cc " I should be feeding according to his age. Like I said I am new to this and want so badly to learn so please be easy on me , I really do want the best for my little one and want him to be healthy and happy. So any advice would be great Thank you so much . "

Walmart, Target and bed bath and beyond sell kitchen scales that will weigh in grams. They’re usually about $20. Pick one up and weigh your little one. Knowing his weight is how you will determine what 5-7% of it is and then be able to feed that amount at each feeding.

Sometimes when squirrels reach around the 10 week old point, they begin to refuse being fed by syringe. It usually happens gradually as they begin to understand that block is food and therefore they don’t need so much formula. Let them decide when the right time is. When they no longer want to take formula by syringe you can place it in a dish and many will continue to drink it that way for weeks.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Scooterzmom (09-27-2020)

Many become quite a handful around 7 or 8 weeks old I have a couple 8 weeks old who are just too wiggly and curious to hold by now when feeding time comes. When they get to that point I start feeding them in a wide and shallow dish instead. Get your camera ready for that stage as this is quite a sight for the first couple of times. They end up swimming in it, playing in it and wearing more than they drink - which is why I put out more than they usually drink for the 1st day. It's one of the precious stages worth filming.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

3Stooges (10-09-2020), bre (09-30-2020), Mel1959 (09-28-2020)