Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medicine needed in this case?

Exclamation Medicine needed in this case?

My cacucasian/persian squirrel sally is very lethargic is there something i can give to her to make her more energetic to start eating and drinking?
    I have a friend vet that does not take on squirrels but i have access in some common vet medicines.
    Are antibiotics for this case?
    Is there anything i can get?

Default Re: Medicine needed in this case?

Have you checked her teeth to make sure they are okay? Squirrels get malocclusions where their upper and lower teeth do not align with one another and the teeth get overgrown often making it difficult (and eventually impossible) for them to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Have you checked her teeth to make sure they are okay? Squirrels get malocclusions where their upper and lower teeth do not align with one another and the teeth get overgrown often making it difficult (and eventually impossible) for them to eat.
    Yeah i check them and seems fine and staight cant post a pic now i am in work i will put it later

As far as medications, I'd not know what exactly to give if her only symptom is loss of appetite and lethargy.

I believe you are familiar with Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) and have ruled that out?

Baytril (vet med) or Cipro (Human Med) could be used if this were AP or even a UTI.

Did you get her from a local pet store?

I'd try to make her cage more comfortable... as Nancy suggested a pile of flannel or fleece squares for her to burrow into and hide in her nest box would be good. I'd place the nest box up higher in the cage or hang a cloth one from the top. Some folks use old stocking caps as hanging nests... you've probably seen different pictures here on the board of these hanging nest cubes.

Putting her cage up higher on a shelf or someplace (safe) might make her more secure... tree squirrels are used to looking down on things, not up (it can terrify them). When alarmed or escaping they go up, up, up. I put wilds I get in for treatment up higher, as high as I can, sine being up higher looking down on me makes them more comfy than looking up at the giant (to them) person.

How they look?
    Name:  IMG_20200926_202318.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  70.5 KB

As far as medications, I'd not know what exactly to give if her only symptom is loss of appetite and lethargy.

I believe you are familiar with Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) and have ruled that out?

Baytril (vet med) or Cipro (Human Med) could be used if this were AP or even a UTI.

Did you get her from a local pet store?

I'd try to make her cage more comfortable... as Nancy suggested a pile of flannel or fleece squares for her to burrow into and hide in her nest box would be good. I'd place the nest box up higher in the cage or hang a cloth one from the top. Some folks use old stocking caps as hanging nests... you've probably seen different pictures here on the board of these hanging nest cubes.

Putting her cage up higher on a shelf or someplace (safe) might make her more secure... tree squirrels are used to looking down on things, not up (it can terrify them). When alarmed or escaping they go up, up, up. I put wilds I get in for treatment up higher, as high as I can, sine being up higher looking down on me makes them more comfy than looking up at the giant (to them) person.
    Whats uti?

Quote Originally Posted by Napped View Post
    Whats uti?
    Urinary Tract Infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Urinary Tract Infection.
    And how i see that what are the effects/symptoms?

How they look?
    Yes, the teeth look fine to me...

And how i see that what are the effects/symptoms?
    Symptoms if a urinary tract infection include strong smelling urine, straining to urinate, very dark yellow urine, peeing small amounts frequently, bloody urine, pain.

Signs of pain include head tucking, folding ears down against their head and "white tears".

Can you vet friend run lab tests on her feces and urine to see if there are infection?

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Clare (10-16-2020)

Symptoms if a urinary tract infection include strong smelling urine, straining to urinate, very dark yellow urine, peeing small amounts frequently, bloody urine, pain.

Signs of pain include head tucking, folding ears down against their head and "white tears".

Can you vet friend run lab tests on her feces and urine to see if there are infection?

Exept the stronger smell in comparsion to himas i dindt see any of the other symptoms.
    That pedialyte is in any case helpful?

I don't know if she behave like that cuz she is in an new place,cage, in pet shop she was with one male Caucasian months now..and they was cuddle all day..i don't know if she is pregnant.. in my country vets don't know much for squirrels so i don't have somewhere to take her to see
    Also i think that she might be pregnant cuz she has very large belly

Can you ask the pet shop if they arrived as babies or juveniles and how old they are? They'd have to be 9 months or older for her to be pregnant.

Exept the stronger smell in comparsion to himas i dindt see any of the other symptoms.
    That pedialyte is in any case helpful?

Extra hydration is always helpful for UTI's but we don't recommend continuing to use Pedialyte for more than 24 hours or so. They tend to get overloaded with electrolytes, which causes a whole other set of issues.

You can give plain water or water with just a bit of molasses or honey or syrup or sugar (in order of preference) to get her more interested if she refuses plain water.

I'd also try placing a branch in her cage with the bark on it... see if she'll chew on that. Maybe try a pine cone as well.

And even some scrambled chicken eggs (adding a little cheese is okay too).... maybe her body needs a little extra protein?

If you try these things, let us know if she shows any interest in any of them.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Rock Monkey (09-28-2020)

Tell us about her diet. Does she eat extruded rodent food at all? Do you supplement with calcium?

Can you ask the pet shop if they arrived as babies or juveniles and how old they are? They'd have to be 9 months or older for her to be pregnant.
    She is propably not cuz i dont see any nipple swollen..
    They arrive like that they are now cuz i was visit offen this shop to see what new they got and they are there like 5 months or so
    Before them they had 3 red and sold them then got these two

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Tell us about her diet. Does she eat extruded rodent food at all? Do you supplement with calcium?
    From what I understand, he has been dealing with this since the 17th. The squirrel(Sally)shows no interest in food or water. She was on a diet of fruit and seeds at the pet shop. The op has since made his own Henry's blocks and has learned about rodent block and proper diet, thanks to TSB. He has been syringe feeding her baby food, baby food mixed with block and water. She just isn't interested in anything and takes very little. He does have calcium as he learned about mbd from his first squirrel, but I do not believe he attempted mbd treatment for Sally. She will sit in one spot in her cage for hours at a time without moving. Hope that helps sum things up.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CrazyCatLady from:

Rock Monkey (09-27-2020)

I have her like a week in this week i have managed to feed her via syringe baby food /water with honey for rehydration / baby food with homemade hhb.in pet store she was eating some fruts veggies and seeds with nuts and she is very unactive and seem always tired exept some 5 sec when she scratching in clothes..

Should absolutely do the MBD treatment as well as the blocks. Given the diet and symptoms, it sounds like MBD to me. I would begin to supplement her with about 250 milligrams of calcium every days in addition to what you have baked into the HHBs. If you have calcium carbonate powder, 250 mg is a very small volume. It can be added to the things you are feeding her. It should be spread out through the day, not given all at once.

Extra hydration is always helpful for UTI's but we don't recommend continuing to use Pedialyte for more than 24 hours or so. They tend to get overloaded with electrolytes, which causes a whole other set of issues.

You can give plain water or water with just a bit of molasses or honey or syrup or sugar (in order of preference) to get her more interested if she refuses plain water.

I'd also try placing a branch in her cage with the bark on it... see if she'll chew on that. Maybe try a pine cone as well.

And even some scrambled chicken eggs (adding a little cheese is okay too).... maybe her body needs a little extra protein?

If you try these things, let us know if she shows any interest in any of them.
    i will try the scrambled eggs tomorrow and i will put her oine con too but she isnt curious for anything so i think she will not even move in the smells of them.thats why i am asking if there is a medicine for this cases,to give them energy,wake the up,make them want to eat,pee and poop cuz i see very little pooping for all this days (but she doesnt eat so i am confused to what the condition of poo pee would be if she ate normally)

Should absolutely do the MBD treatment as well as the blocks. Given the diet and symptoms, it sounds like MBD to me. I would begin to supplement her with about 250 milligrams of calcium every days in addition to what you have baked into the HHBs. If you have calcium carbonate powder, 250 mg is a very small volume. It can be added to the things you are feeding her. It should be spread out through the day, not given all at once.
    I have calcium citrate powder and i am not always at home cuz of work so i cant feed her like every 2 hours more like 2-3 times per day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast