Thread: Baby Squirrel May Have Pneumonia ~Would like dosing help

Default Baby Squirrel May Have Pneumonia ~Would like dosing help

Yesterday, there was one young squirrel who was eating trash and bark (they have rotten logs) in my neighbor's driveway. He or she was still there when it got dark but I could not catch the little one. They are not safe there because a number of outdoor cats live at that house, which is what concerned my neighbors and why they told me. This morning, there were two young squirrels. I played squirrel distress calls but mom did not come. One of the squirrels could not climb the tree and I was able to get her. She is very angry. I'm thinking she is around 7 weeks old and is very, very thin. She weighs 140 g/4.7 oz. I hear a very faint click when she breathes. Because of her weight, I'm wondering if mom died a couple days ago. I have pedialite and Fox Valley formula. I also have a miracle nipple and many 1cc syringes.

Antibiotics I have on hand are: Clindamycin (150 mg), Sulfamethoxazole (960 mg), Doxycycline (100 mg), Ciprofloxacin (500 mg), methenamine (1 gm), and Amoxicillin + Potassium Clavulanate (875 + 125mg).

I could use help with her care. Should I give pedialite, formula or both? Should I start antibiotics and if so, which one?

Also, I *think* I attached photos but was confused, so I will work on that.

Thanks!
    Name:  IMG_0101.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  94.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0102.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  102.7 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PattyPA from:

Nancy in New York (09-25-2020)

Default Re: Baby Squirrel May Have Pneumonia ~Would like dosing help

Quote Originally Posted by PattyPA View Post
    Yesterday, there was one young squirrel who was eating trash and bark (they have rotten logs) in my neighbor's driveway. He or she was still there when it got dark but I could not catch the little one. They are not safe there because a number of outdoor cats live at that house, which is what concerned my neighbors and why they told me. This morning, there were two young squirrels. I played squirrel distress calls but mom did not come. One of the squirrels could not climb the tree and I was able to get her. She is very angry. I'm thinking she is around 7 weeks old and is very, very thin. She weighs 140 g/4.7 oz. I hear a very faint click when she breathes. Because of her weight, I'm wondering if mom died a couple days ago. I have pedialite and Fox Valley formula. I also have a miracle nipple and many 1cc syringes.

Antibiotics I have on hand are: Clindamycin (150 mg), Sulfamethoxazole (960 mg), Doxycycline (100 mg), Ciprofloxacin (500 mg), methenamine (1 gm), and Amoxicillin + Potassium Clavulanate (875 + 125mg).

I could use help with her care. Should I give pedialite, formula or both? Should I start antibiotics and if so, which one?

Also, I *think* I attached photos but was confused, so I will work on that.

Thanks!
    Name:  IMG_0101.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  94.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0102.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  102.7 KB

Thank you for helping this little lost soul.
    I am going to send you a pm with dosing for Cipro, (when did your Doxy expire)
    Do NOT use Pedialyte for more than 24 hours, too many additives.
    You can use the homemade solution but drop the salt after 24 hours.
    Homemade hydration fluid:
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 Tablespoons sugar
    1 quart water.If you get formula, get the Puppy Powdered Esbilac with an expiration date of October 2021 or later.
    These can be found in most pet shops,
    I will send you dosing now in a pm for Cipro 500mg for a 400 gram squirrel.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

PattyPA (09-25-2020)

Thanks for the information, I am very, very appreciative. The Doxy expired in 2015. I really should have checked that. Sorry. I also have Vancomycin 125 mg. but that expired in 2018.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PattyPA from:

I am happy to make the homemade pedialite instead. Should I give no formula right now? I have Fox Valley 20/50.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PattyPA from:

Quote Originally Posted by PattyPA View Post
    Thanks for the information, I am very, very appreciative. The Doxy expired in 2015. I really should have checked that. Sorry. I also have Vancomycin 125 mg. but that expired in 2018.
    OK chuck the DOXY that is one drug that we never use past expiration.

Oh you DO need to give formula now.
    I am going to attach a cheat sheet so you can see
    roughly how much your little one should be taking.
    Go to the low side of 5% to start and if she seems starving
    after the 5% you can gradually go to 6% etc.

https://nmognoni.smugmug.com/Feeding...vP/i-JsmjnNr/A

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Grinderhead (09-25-2020), PattyPA (09-25-2020)

Try holding her in one of the blankets while you feed and flop it over her face so she cannot see you. She may take the formula better if she can't. The babies who have known and seen their mamas can be hard to get eating because they know you ain't her.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

PattyPA (09-25-2020)