Thread: Bloating/Constipation

Default Bloating/Constipation

I have a baby squirrel (I'm guessing around 2-3 weeks old) that I've had for a little less than 48 hours. He was found on the ground below his nest. Reuniting with mom was unsuccessful. I rehydrated him and started him on diluted HGMF+. He is very energetic and eats well, but has not yet pooped since I found him around 36 hours ago. This morning his belly seems larger and more firm than it did yesterday and I'm concerned he may be bloating. I have been giving him pedialyte between formula feedings for hydration. I've also done warm bath and massage with no result. He's peeing like a racehorse though. What can I give him to ease the bloating and break loose his constipation??

Default Re: Bloating/Constipation

How much does he weigh, how much are you feeding him and how often?

Is his belly squishy like a water filled balloon or hard like a balloon filled with air?

It is not unusual for them not to poop for a while (up to 72 hours) after intake, depending n how long they were separate from mom (last time they ate).

Any bloat would be concerning. Posting pics of his belly (both from the front and side) would be very helpful...

Edit: I just approved you so you should be able to post pics now...

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Rock Monkey (09-25-2020)

He weighs 89 grams. He’s eating about 1-1.25 mls of formula every 3 hours. sometimes he takes a bit more, sometimes a bit less). No nighttime feedings besides Pedialyte once in the middle of the night. His belly is firm but not super hard. I’ll post pictures in a minute.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to whittleah from:

Rock Monkey (09-25-2020)

He should be eating quite a bit more (4.5ml - 6ml) and I would extend the interval to every 4 hours. I'll attach a feeding cheat sheet.

He does not look terribly bloated, but you can give him a drop of INFANT Gax-X (simethicone) drops, that may help.

Stop the pedialyte and give plain water for hydration. We usually recommend stopping pedialyte solution after 24 hours as it tends to overload their systems with electrolytes if given for an extended period of time.

You can put just a bit of molasses, honey or syrup... sugar if nothing else (this is in order of preference) of he rejects the plain ol water.

SquirrelBoard Feeding CheatSheet.pdf

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  63.7 KB

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (09-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by whittleah View Post
    He was found on the ground below his nest. Reuniting with mom was unsuccessful.
    Also, please keep checking for other babies.. the unsuccessful reuniting suggests something happened to mom (would also explain the "empty tank" / no pooping in 48 hours) and there likely are other babies. They just may take longer to finally get desperate enough to leave the nest. These are way to young to be going out of the nest under normal circumstances.

If you are not aware, baby squirrels crying for mom sound like birds peeping.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Nancy in New York (09-25-2020), Rock Monkey (09-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    He should be eating quite a bit more (4.5ml - 6ml) and I would extend the interval to every 4 hours. I'll attach a feeding cheat sheet.

He does not look terribly bloated, but you can give him a drop of INFANT Gax-X (simethicone) drops, that may help.

Stop the pedialyte and give plain water for hydration. We usually recommend stopping pedialyte solution after 24 hours as it tends to overload their systems with electrolytes if given for an extended period of time.

You can put just a bit of molasses, honey or syrup... sugar if nothing else (this is in order of preference) of he rejects the plain ol water.

SquirrelBoard Feeding CheatSheet.pdf

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  63.7 KB
    Thank you for the cheat sheet!! I have rehabbed a few squirrels when I was younger, but it's been a few years, so I'm having to refresh my memory on how to deal with the normal issues. So thank you for your help! I'll try some Gas-x. He isn't terribly bloated, but I want to take care of it before it gets serious. I'll try to get him to eat more, I've been hesitant to get too happy with feeding him because I was worried about the bloating and not pooping. Maybe that's why he wasn't pooping.... I'll switch him to water between feedings. I have pure maple syrup on hand, would that be ok to add a bit to the water?

Also, I have been going back and checking for more babies. So far I haven't found any. I'll keep checking.

I have pure maple syrup on hand, would that be ok to add a bit to the water?
    Yes, but only add it if he won't take plain water... it's simply to increase his interest versus plain water if that is necessary.

Also, I have been going back and checking for more babies. So far I haven't found any. I'll keep checking.
    for this... and for caring for this little one.

I just gave him some plain warm water and he took it fairly well. I'll keep doing this between feedings. Also, at what point should I be more concerned about him not pooping. Tonight will be 48 hours.....

Going 2 or 3 days before the first poop is not all that unusual. When he does poop, if it is dark / black that is form mommy's milk. If it is more yellow or golden, that is formula poop... I would not be surprised if the first time he poops it is formula poop. That would juts mean he was a while without mom and had already pooped what was there to poop before you fed him formula.

I'd start getting concerned about poop tomorrow...

I have a baby squirrel (I'm guessing around 2-3 weeks old) that I've had for a little less than 48 hours. He was found on the ground below his nest. Reuniting with mom was unsuccessful. I rehydrated him and started him on diluted HGMF+. He is very energetic and eats well, but has not yet pooped since I found him around 36 hours ago. This morning his belly seems larger and more firm than it did yesterday and I'm concerned he may be bloating. I have been giving him pedialyte between formula feedings for hydration. I've also done warm bath and massage with no result. He's peeing like a racehorse though. What can I give him to ease the bloating and break loose his constipation??
    The HGMF+ is a very temporary formula as it is lacking in nutrition.
    You would be better off at this age to get Fox Valley 20/50 and do a
    transition, which we can explain.

Day 1 mix 25% Goat Milk and 75% FV 20/50
    Feed for 4 feeding then drop to 50% Goat Milk and 50% Fox Valley 20/50 for 4 feedings
    Then for 4 feedings go to 25% Goat Milk and 75% Fox Valley 20/50
    Then go to ALL Fox Valley 20/50.

He had a bit of poop in his nest this morning and has pooped twice since then!! Thank you for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    The HGMF+ is a very temporary formula as it is lacking in nutrition.
    You would be better off at this age to get Fox Valley 20/50 and do a
    transition, which we can explain.

Day 1 mix 25% Goat Milk and 75% FV 20/50
    Feed for 4 feeding then drop to 50% Goat Milk and 50% Fox Valley 20/50 for 4 feedings
    Then for 4 feedings go to 25% Goat Milk and 75% Fox Valley 20/50
    Then go to ALL Fox Valley 20/50.
    I had read in other discussions about people having issues with FV formula. Was that just specifically the 32/40 causing issues in younger babies? I'm happy to switch him, I was just hesitant to use it due to the negative reviews.

He had a bit of poop in his nest this morning and has pooped twice since then!! Thank you for your advice!
    This is great news!

Any signs of siblings? If he is going to end up being a singleton, I have a twosome about a week older that he could be combined with for raising and release.

I had read in other discussions about people having issues with FV formula. Was that just specifically the 32/40 causing issues in younger babies? I'm happy to switch him, I was just hesitant to use it due to the negative reviews.
    It appears that the FV32/40 mixed with the Powdered Puppy Esbilac dated October 2021 on,
    is a great choice.
    I haven't used it, but that's what is recommended, unless you can find Zoologic which is sold
    out all over.