Thread: Preventing Ticks and Fleas on New Releases

Default Preventing Ticks and Fleas on New Releases

Is there anything that can be done prior to release to safely prevent ticks and flees in any sort of durable way?

Either by treating the squirrel or the squirrel house, either to the house directly or by its placement?

Giving a month of protection doesn't seem worth the unknowns. I would only be interested in tried and true, proven, absolutely safe methods.

Just want to do everything that can maximize the odds of healthy existence.

Default Re: Preventing Ticks and Fleas on New Releases

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Is there anything that can be done prior to release to safely prevent ticks and flees in any sort of durable way?

Either by treating the squirrel or the squirrel house, either to the house directly or by its placement?

Giving a month of protection doesn't seem worth the unknowns. I would only be interested in tried and true, proven, absolutely safe methods.

Just want to do everything that can maximize the odds of healthy existence.
    All my releases get revolution just prior to release... better a month of protection than nothing at all.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

bre (09-30-2020), Buddy (09-23-2020), stepnstone (09-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    All my releases get revolution just prior to release... better a month of protection than nothing at all.
    Thank you Spanky! What is revolution? Is it something that can be buy OTC? Is there a dosing per weight etc?

You can order it on-line from places like this:

https://www.joespetmeds.com/flea-tic...-cats-dogs.htm

Or get it from a vet with a prescription. Just one small drop between the shoulder blades, or one small drop on a nut (it can be given orally). Each ampule used to treat a single cat will treat about 5 - 7 squirrels.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Buddy (09-23-2020)

Great to know! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Thank you Spanky! What is revolution? Is it something that can be buy OTC? Is there a dosing per weight etc?
    Just note, I wouldn't buy the Revolution Plus. It has an added second ingredient with a completely different MOA which may effect squirrels adversely.

Just note, I wouldn't buy the Revolution Plus. It has an added second ingredient with a completely different MOA which may effect squirrels adversely.
    Oh, okay. Do you have an alternative solution? We have a dog (Brittany) and I'm kind of worried about chemicals and side effects of the stuff myself... Holistic/natural stuff has not been working so well on our dog, unfortunately though...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Oh, okay. Do you have an alternative solution? We have a dog (Brittany) and I'm kind of worried about chemicals and side effects of the stuff myself... Holistic/natural stuff has not been working so well on our dog, unfortunately though...

RM is not saying (I believe) not to buy Revolution, they are saying do not buy Revolution Plus.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Buddy (09-24-2020)

RM is not saying (I believe) not to buy Revolution, they are saying do not buy Revolution Plus.
    Oh, okay. Sorry. Thanks for clarifying!!

Correct. I should have clarified. Revolution has one primary active ingredient. Revolution Plus has a second primary active ingredient which acts differently (has a different Mode of Action). Rehabbers have used Revolution without any seeming adverse effects. The Revolution Plus has not been widely applied to squirrels, as I understand it. I don't know when they first started selling Revolution Plus.

We did have a poster who reported that her squirrel began running around frantically after she applied Revolution (not sure which one) and stopped the frantic behavior when the Revolution was washed off. This exact same pattern occurred to the same caretaker with the same squirrel on a second occasion. That is very concerning to me.

When I went to the manufacturers website I only saw mention of Revolution Plus. I don't know if that means that they have stopped making the Revolution with the single tried active ingredient.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (09-26-2020)

When I went to the manufacturers website I only saw mention of Revolution Plus. I don't know if that means that they have stopped making the Revolution with the single tried active ingredient.
    I sure hope not! The Revolution and Stronghold seemed to be the easiest to obtain (from Australia!) w/o a script. Just like human meds, once the competition starts getting market share, they "tweak" the original med to make it unique once again.

The generic drug name is "selamectin" and there are several different brand names (though I think Stronghold and Revolution are the same manufacturer?). Other bran names include:

Selarid
    Synergy
    Paradyne
    Chanhold

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

bre (09-30-2020), Buddy (09-26-2020)

Here is a link to the post that I referenced above.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...47#post1322247

Posted by Mel_La_Fee concerning Cleo, a four-year-old squirrel.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (09-26-2020)

The following is directly copied from the manufacturer's (Zoetisus) website concerning Revolution Plus:

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION:

The safe use of REVOLUTION PLUS has not been established in kittens less than 8 weeks old or in breeding, pregnant or lactating cats. Reported side effects in clinical trials included lethargy and anorexia. Use with caution in cats with a history of neurologic disorders. Sarolaner, one of the ingredients in REVOLUTION PLUS, is a member of the isoxazoline class, which has been associated with adverse reactions such as tremors, ataxia, and seizures. Reactions have occurred in cats with or without a history of neurologic disorders. In humans, REVOLUTION PLUS may be irritating to skin and eyes.

Selamectin and Sarolaner Deliver Even Broader Protection Against Parasites ...
    With Unique Dual Action Against Fleas and Ear Mites

Selamectin MOA: kills parasites primarily through interference with their glutamate-gated chloride channels, causing paralysis and death of the target parasite
    Sarolaner MOA: kills parasites primarily through interference with their GABA-gated chloride channels, causing increased nerve stimulation and death of the target parasite

Based on the above safety warning from the manufacturer I would say that Revolution Plus should never be applied to a neuro. It also makes one wonder if it should be applied to a healthy squirrel. The conservative answer, to me, seems to be "No" as well where healthy squirrels are concerned.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (09-26-2020)

Just like human meds, once the competition starts getting market share, they "tweak" the original med to make it unique once again.

Definitely true. That occurs with all sorts of products. Fein (a German company) used to make a mint selling their Multi-Master Tool and accessories for premium prices. Now that the original patent has expired you see all sorts of competing products for significantly less. As the patent was about to expire they completely altered almost every part in their new version, which could be seen by looking at parts diagrams. Then they patented as many of those new parts as possible.