Thread: Need a squirrel friendly veterinarian near western Massachusetts

Default Need a squirrel friendly veterinarian near western Massachusetts

Please help I have a 4 1/2 year old female gray and she has forever been a picky eater , I have had problems even getting her to eat her HHB (picky formula) and recently she is hardly eating at all and now the last few days I am having to force her to even drink water , I am in western massachusetts and I cant bring her to a vet because I am scared she would be taken away from me ,
    Her being so picky like she always has been I also worry about MBD .
    I just ordered some calcium from Henrys and that will be here in a couple days ,
    I managed to get some tums in her so I am hoping she will perk up in a few hours .
    I was told to come here and maybe someone near me would know of a squirrel friendly vet that will not kill her or take her away from me .
    PLEASE HELP!!!

Default Re: Need a squirrel friendly veterinarian near western Massachusetts

At this point I am even willing to travel to get her help , I am just so scared of her being taken away from me.

Well I called a number of vets around massachusetts and they all told me to call tufts I did and they tell me she would be taken from me .
    So again if anyone knows a vet that can help me and not take her from me please tell me .

What is she currently being fed?

Are here eyes open?

Can you post a picture?

They can be notoriously picky eaters, don't worry. You will find something she will eat.

Few squirrels are excited about block.

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

The above is a good list of good squirrel foods and stuff you should avoid. The stuff you should avoid is important even if it isn't obvious why its bad.

I would suggest avocado. Most grey squirrels love it. It is high in healthy fat and has a good water content also.

Cooked butternut squash or sweet potato are popular as well. Cooking them makes them easier to chew and digest. You can add a little natural honey to these if she isn't interested in them plain.

Apple and peach often go over well. Baby food with no sugar added is a good option.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

bednarkim77 (09-21-2020)

She has always been a picky eater but she used to for the most part take a few bites of Henrys picky blocks, Sweet potato, sugar snap peas, maybe a bite or 2 of a grape tomato, spinach, Kale, mushrooms and only bites the thing she will eat a couple more bites of is a avocado , But the last few days nothing at all, I managed to crush a tums 1000 and mixed that with water and made her take that and I had some foxvalley 2050 squirrel formula and I got a whole syringe down her so I am hoping for the best , SHe is just so tired all she will do is sleep and when I take her out of her bed she just lays down .

I do not have a exact weight I had to order a new digital scale but she is well over 1 pound , What is the dosage for infant not children's motrin for 1 pound ?

Dosing sent.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

bednarkim77 (09-22-2020)

Another thing I am noticing is she isnt peeing well either , I am trying to keep her hydrated but I wonder now of she may have a UTI and if so are there any safe antibiotics I can give her?

It has now been 3 days like this she just wants to sleep and acts like she is in pain curling over like hunched I have been following the MBD emergency treatment and I thought for a little while she was improving because she ate her HHB and took a few bites of sweet potatoe and winter squash, But I noticed she is breathing hard and fast when she is trying to pee she sits on her litter pan and nothing is coming out I dont think, when I pick her up she like cruches up , I have been making her drink water with a syringe several times a day. I have tried the infant motrin again I thought that was helping but now I dont . I can get these kinds of antibiotics can I try any of them on her if it maybe a UTI or something like that?Amoxicillin
    500-125
    Clindamysin 300mg but they are capsules and the augmentin is 125mg tablet
    She is 4 and 1/2 yrs old
    She is offered a healthy diet (from hhp) daily and she gets 2 hhb a day but she has always been a picky eater and hasnt been eating much at all lately.
    My scale had to be replaced the new one will be here tomorrow but she is at least 1 pound she is comparable to a adult size squirrel outside.

Quote Originally Posted by bednarkim77 View Post
    Amoxicillin 500-125
    Clindamysin 300mg but they are capsules and the augmentin is 125mg tablet
    If you can clarify what exactly you have in terms of Augmentin I will try to help you with dosing.

Augmentin is tricky because in human medicine we focus on the amount of Amoxicillin, in animal medicine the "dose" is a combination of the Amoxicillin and Calvulanic Acid. So "Amoxicillin 500-125" suggests 500mg of Amoxicillin and 125mg of Calvulanic Acid, but then you say the Augmentin is a 125mg tablet which could be Amoxicillin 125mg and Clavulanic Acid 31mg.... BIG DIFFERENCE.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

bednarkim77 (09-22-2020)

Ok the people who have the antibiotics gave me this information its 2 different people the first person said

Clindamysin 300mg but they are capsules and the augmentin is 125mg tablet and also CLV 825-125 mg

The second person said amoxicillin -pot clavul 500- 125 tabs

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    If you can clarify what exactly you have in terms of Augmentin I will try to help you with dosing.

Augmentin is tricky because in human medicine we focus on the amount of Amoxicillin, in animal medicine the "dose" is a combination of the Amoxicillin and Calvulanic Acid. So "Amoxicillin 500-125" suggests 500mg of Amoxicillin and 125mg of Calvulanic Acid, but then you say the Augmentin is a 125mg tablet which could be Amoxicillin 125mg and Clavulanic Acid 31mg.... BIG DIFFERENCE.

Forget about the clindamycin (no good for UTI) and tell me which Augmentin you can get quicker / easier?

I will dose that... you confirm what it is after you have it and if there are questions or doubts, we'll start over.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

bednarkim77 (09-22-2020)

I can pick up the one that said amoxicillin -pot clavul 500- 125 tabs at 7 am

They sent me pictures of the label how do I send them to youName:  20200922_204059.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  20200922_204128.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  42.6 KB

They are bringing me the ones I posted the pics of tonight, so if they are they right ones please send me the right dosage . Thank you so so much

New scale finally here. Her exact weight is 714.0 G

Name:  20200923_175350.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  58.2 KB Name:  20200923_175335.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  62.4 KB

Updated dosing sent for the Augmentin.

Have you checked her teeth?

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

bednarkim77 (09-23-2020)

Thank you and yes teeth are good. She has always been good about keeping them trim down. No mouth sores.