Thread: Baby squirrel aspiration help

Default Baby squirrel aspiration help

I have a tiny baby squirrel who has asparated. I can't get him to vet till this afternoon. Can I give him a little metronidazole? It's the only antibiotic I have and I'm scared. He's clicking and breathing mouth open very larthagic.

Default Re: Baby squirrel aspiration help

Can you include a picture? This helps members to assess the squirrel's health.

Does the clicking occur even the squirrel is sleeping?

What have you been feeding the squirrel? And, how have you been feeding the squirrel?

How long have you had it?

How much does it weigh? The appropriate dosage needs a weight. Food scales can usually be found for less than $20.

In the meantime, keep the squirrel warm and at least slightly upright, head above chest.

If you aren't using a heating pad under half of it's container, you can use your own body heat by putting it between layers. They don't have the capacity to keep themselves sufficiently warm.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by maylene1852 View Post
    I have a tiny baby squirrel who has asparated. I can't get him to vet till this afternoon. Can I give him a little metronidazole? It's the only antibiotic I have and I'm scared. He's clicking and breathing mouth open very larthagic.

Unfortunately metronidazole will not be very effective against AP.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 09-23-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by maylene1852 View Post
    You might call friends and neighbors to see what they have in terms of antibiotics. You will only need one or two pills.

If you are taking him to a vet I would call the vet you are taking him too and ask to come in NOW tell them he is mouth open breathing. Better yet just show up and see if they will see him or just say I am sitting here just in case. Fingers crossed they will see him sooner.

Any update on this baby?