Thread: Young squirrel rescued - May have chest issues

Default Young squirrel rescued - May have chest issues

Hi all

I posted on Reddit in the squirrel subreddit and someone said I should try here for more support too. Original post is here - https://www.reddit.com/r/squirrels/c...tm_name=iossmf
    There are pics in that link too.

I found a young squirrel (I’ve been told 8-10 weeks) who was very weak and dying in my local park (I’m in Central London). I’ve taken her home and been using rehydration solution to get her better. Her face is injured and tooth broken so I suspect a fall out of a tree. There was no sign of the mother around when I found her.
    I’ve had her for two days now and she’s perked up a fair bit still sleeps a lot. When I found her, she was really wheezing and her chest was clicking, this seems to have gotten better but she’s still squeaking a bit so I’m concerned in case she has a chest problem that I may need to do something about - any advice on this would be useful please! Today she is much better than when I found her though so I think it may be clearing up - I’m just worried in case it’s pneumonia or anything life threatening.

I’ve got goats milk and yoghurt so will try her on this - I gave her a small amount of goats milk last night but she didn’t seem too keen! She did have some though and seems brighter today.

I’ve got her in a shoe box at the moment but I’m not sure that’s really big enough for her and I obviously don’t have a cage to hand! I’ve tried calling wildlife places for support and they’ve said that they are an invasive species here so they can’t be rehabilitated and released again as it’s illegal (even for me to do but I intend to). I tried a squirrel sanctuary too and it is full.

I’m at the point now where I’m not sure what to do with her - do I keep her until the squeaking stops and release her back where I found her? If she’s not eating solids will she survive on her own? I want to get the balance right of getting her well enough to return to the wild and not keeping her so long that she can’t readjust. If I need to keep her longer then I should probably see if I can get a better container for her too - what would work?

Sorry for all the questions and long post - I’m very new to this and just want to do right by her! Thanks in advance for your help

Default Re: Young squirrel rescued - May have chest issues

Yes, the laws are inhumane. Anybody who spends any time with these creatures realizes that they have a great deal of emotion, spirit and heart.

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/
    Here is a list of suggested food items. Note, it is equally important to pay attention to list of items to avoid.

Here are basics.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

It is important to note that solutions designed to rehydrate humans are not suited to be used on squirrels on a continuing basis, they are too strong. The link below gives a recipe for a more appropriate solution.

This addresses proper rehydration.
    https://www.henryspets.com/2-rehydra...baby-squirrel/

If able, please post another photo on this forum. This will greatly facilitate assessment of its health and appropriate courses of action.

Young squirrels face very difficult odds. The older they are when released the greater the chance of survival. Don't worry their DNA will guide them to be leaping from limb to limb. Your care will not extinguish that instinct.

No worries about the length of your post. With taking caring of squirrels there is great deal to learn, but not beyond a person who is willing to read and ask questions.

If the squirrel is dehydrated it is highly likely that Mom is dead and that the juvenile took a fall trying to find Mom or something to eat. They often wait until they are quite famished. At this age her chances aren't great if she were immediately released.

Any cage should be made of metal and have bars with a spacing of 1/2" or less to inhibit chewing on the bars.

If there is fluid in the lungs a moderately upright posture where the head is above the chest is preferable.

Do you hear the clicking noise when the squirrel is sleeping?

As long as the broken tooth isn't dead it will grow. A grey squirrel's teeth grow approximately 6" a year. That's why they are always gnawing on stuff.

They have strong will to live and can overcome a lot if they are given some assistance.

Look over the list of food items given in the previous post. You ought to be able to find plenty of them at the local grocers.

Some of the items like squash and sweet potato will be easier to digest and chew if cooked. Microwaved is fine. Stick to soft foods given the potential mouth injury.

With the yogurt try to stick to the plain (unsweetened), whole milk varieties. Generally avoid products with added sugar. You don't want the squirrel to develop a sweet tooth. It isn't good for them and then they don't want to eat regular, basic garden items.

Try avocado. It is high calorie, with lots of good fat and with plenty of water as well.

Many of the items on the squirrel food list also have a high water content so the squirrel will also be hydrating when these items are consumed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Yes, the laws are inhumane. Anybody who spends any time with these creatures realizes that they have a great deal of emotion, spirit and heart.

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/
    Here is a list of suggested food items. Note, it is equally important to pay attention to list of items to avoid.

Here are basics.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

It is important to note that solutions designed to rehydrate humans are not suited to be used on squirrels on a continuing basis, they are too strong. The link below gives a recipe for a more appropriate solution.

This addresses proper rehydration.
    https://www.henryspets.com/2-rehydra...baby-squirrel/

If able, please post another photo on this forum. This will greatly facilitate assessment of its health and appropriate courses of action.

Young squirrels face very difficult odds. The older they are when released the greater the chance of survival. Don't worry their DNA will guide them to be leaping from limb to limb. Your care will not extinguish that instinct.

Thank you for getting back to me and for the links.
    I’ve got her on the squirrel rehydration solution (homemade with salt and sugar) and a homemade formula (goats milk, yoghurt, cream and egg yolk - she isn’t a fan but had some earlier). As I’m in the UK I can’t seem to find any UK sites that sell anything to support squirrels - I can’t even find rodent blocks, I think I’ll just have to go to a pet shop and see if I can source something.

Pictures of her are below. I’m mostly worried about her chest at the moment and the wheezing/squeaking noise - do you have any thoughts on whether there is anything I can/should do?

Name:  B90940BB-ABD3-4701-B625-B2CB5C532B33.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  94.9 KB
    Name:  61BD450D-56E3-4581-A33B-B3987FFC81D6.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  91.2 KB
    Name:  07F6AE77-82F4-44C1-B445-2F5A89932154.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  170.2 KB
    Name:  A238A8A6-0C11-4508-8C01-6364680A392F.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  113.2 KB

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coconicole from:

Rock Monkey (09-22-2020)

Make sure she is kept warm, see the guide about the use of a heating pad.

Young squirrels aren't so good at producing their own body heat and their fur is thin.

If they are hypothermic they will not be able to digest well the food given.

Do you hear the clicking sound when she is sleeping?

They aren't good drinkers as youngsters. If drinking from a dish they tend to cough and sputter, which can contribute to inhalation pneumonia.

A glass water bottle is a preferable way to give them water in the long run. Plastic water bottles tend to get chewed up. I realize that in the starting phases one makes do with what one has.

Don't allow her/him to eat too fast. You make actually have to put some back pressure on the syringe. Make sure the foods given are approximately body temperature.

You can also feed him no sugar added baby food. I would heat some water in glass dish to moderate temp then put the syringe in and let it sit in the water for 30 sec. or so to warm then I would dispense the food in small drops on a plate (if the squirrel is a little mobile) This is prevent them from eating too much , too fast.

Given the UK shops limited squirrel specific formula or block, given the age of this squirrel I think you can make do with foods that you can find at the local grocers.

Just look over the list of squirrel food items. You probably have some of the items in your cupboards already.

Be mindful of where you put her box. It won't be long before she starts exploring. Try to avoid tile or concrete. They will jump for it and will try again even if they fall.

A bouncy hardwood floor is okay.

They will try to get locations of height and they like small spaces where bigger creatures can't reach them.

Give feedback if you get scratched. "Ouch." Hairless humans are a strange thing to them, eventually they do figure it out. They are used to interacting with siblings and Mom with their thick fur coats.

The more relaxed you are, the more relaxed they will be. This can be a challenge if their claws are digging in. Yelling at them will only make their behavior worse. The more they like you, the more they will mind you.

Most squirrel behavior problems can be solved/understood if you allow yourself to think like a squirrel. They are high strung, twitchy, hyper alert, and fast to react. If not they would be dead. They grow up practicing escape and evasion with their siblings. (I know you are not there yet in terms of energy level. Just warning you that if you don't understand them they may seem really aggressive.)

Back to the clicking.

If the more experience members deem that your squirrel may have inhalation pneumonia they can help you give the appropriate dosage of an antibiotic.

They will need the weight of the squirrel to get the best dosage. I don't know if you have a food scale or can borrow one.

In the second picture, to me, it looks like the teeth are not right - possibly broken or overgrown?

Back to the clicking.

If the more experience members deem that your squirrel may have inhalation pneumonia they can help you give the appropriate dosage of an antibiotic.

They will need the weight of the squirrel to get the best dosage. I don't know if you have a food scale or can borrow one.
    She was wheezing when we found her and it seemed to have got better but she’s really struggling this evening. Her lungs are making a squeaking sound (link to recording on imgur below) and she’s not interested in formula or staying awake. I’m worried she is going downhill to be honest, she is only taking in rehydration solution at the moment.
    If anyone can advise re treatment I would appreciate it! Thing is in the UK I can’t just buy antibiotics, I’m not sure what I can do to treat her?!

Breathing sounds:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/zQuKwNU

Quote Originally Posted by Coconicole View Post
    She was wheezing when we found her and it seemed to have got better but she’s really struggling this evening. Her lungs are making a squeaking sound (link to recording on imgur below) and she’s not interested in formula or staying awake. I’m worried she is going downhill to be honest, she is only taking in rehydration solution at the moment.
    If anyone can advise re antibiotics I would appreciate it!

Breathing sounds:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/zQuKwNU
    Yes, absolutely I would put her on antibiotcs and a pain med for pain managment.
    What antibiotcs can you get hold of? Tell us what you can acquire, we can tell you
    if it can be used, how to break down and dose.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mialouise (09-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Yes, absolutely I would put her on antibiotcs and a pain med for pain managment.
    What antibiotcs can you get hold of? Tell us what you can acquire, we can tell you
    if it can be used, how to break down and dose.
    Good news - we have found a vet who will rehabilitate her and they have an agreement with a private animal sanctuary where she can be released legally. We are on our way to the vet now, so happy for her. Thank you for all of your help!!

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coconicole from:

stepnstone (09-22-2020)

Hi all

I posted on Reddit in the squirrel subreddit and someone said I should try here for more support too. Original post is here - https://www.reddit.com/r/squirrels/c...tm_name=iossmf
    There are pics in that link too.

I found a young squirrel (I’ve been told 8-10 weeks) who was very weak and dying in my local park (I’m in Central London). I’ve taken her home and been using rehydration solution to get her better. Her face is injured and tooth broken so I suspect a fall out of a tree. There was no sign of the mother around when I found her.
    I’ve had her for two days now and she’s perked up a fair bit still sleeps a lot. When I found her, she was really wheezing and her chest was clicking, this seems to have gotten better but she’s still squeaking a bit so I’m concerned in case she has a chest problem that I may need to do something about - any advice on this would be useful please! Today she is much better than when I found her though so I think it may be clearing up - I’m just worried in case it’s pneumonia or anything life threatening.

I’ve got goats milk and yoghurt so will try her on this - I gave her a small amount of goats milk last night but she didn’t seem too keen! She did have some though and seems brighter today.

I’ve got her in a shoe box at the moment but I’m not sure that’s really big enough for her and I obviously don’t have a cage to hand! I’ve tried calling wildlife places for support and they’ve said that they are an invasive species here so they can’t be rehabilitated and released again as it’s illegal (even for me to do but I intend to). I tried a squirrel sanctuary too and it is full.

I’m at the point now where I’m not sure what to do with her - do I keep her until the squeaking stops and release her back where I found her? If she’s not eating solids will she survive on her own? I want to get the balance right of getting her well enough to return to the wild and not keeping her so long that she can’t readjust. If I need to keep her longer then I should probably see if I can get a better container for her too - what would work?

Sorry for all the questions and long post - I’m very new to this and just want to do right by her! Thanks in advance for your help

UPDATE

Good news - we have found a vet who will rehabilitate her and they have an agreement with a private animal sanctuary where she can be released legally. We are on our way to the vet now, so happy for her. Thank you for all of your help!!

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coconicole:

Mialouise (09-22-2020), stepnstone (09-22-2020)

That's great that you found somebody that can treat her.

Inhalation pneumonia can move very fast. So the sooner she gets the treatment the better.

If you are unable to get her to the vet until the morning be sure to keep her warm. Let her snuggle with you. Keep her head raised.

If you have any sort of antibiotics in the house one or two pills will do. Can also ask friends.

You should PM the well experienced rehabbers or Admins that are online if able to get some antibiotics and will not be able to get the squirrel to the vet until tomorrow morning.

UPDATE

Good news - we have found a vet who will rehabilitate her and they have an agreement with a private animal sanctuary where she can be released legally.
    We are on our way to the vet now, so happy for her. Thank you for all of your help!!
    Thank you Coconicole for going that extra mile to see this little has a chance.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

That's great that you found somebody that can treat her.

Inhalation pneumonia can move very fast. So the sooner she gets the treatment the better.

If you are unable to get her to the vet until the morning be sure to keep her warm. Let her snuggle with you. Keep her head raised.

If you have any sort of antibiotics in the house one or two pills will do. Can also ask friends.

You should PM the well experienced rehabbers or Admins that are online if able to get some antibiotics and will not be able to get the squirrel to the vet until tomorrow morning.
    Luckily the vet is open 24 hours and so we went there as soon as they said yes (9pm UK time). They opened the doors and were holding another squirrel which they had rehabilitated so that was really reassuring. They said they will do everything they can to get her better so she can be released. I’m so relieved, I just hope I got her there in time to get treatment.
    Thank you for all of your help and advice, hopefully she will live a long and happy life, free with other rescue squirrels! I’ll be ringing them daily for updates!

23. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coconicole:

Clare (09-22-2020), Mialouise (09-22-2020), stepnstone (09-22-2020)

Luckily the vet is open 24 hours and so we went there as soon as they said yes (9pm UK time). They opened the doors and were holding another squirrel which they had rehabilitated so that was really reassuring. They said they will do everything they can to get her better so she can be released. I’m so relieved, I just hope I got her there in time to get treatment.
    Thank you for all of your help and advice, hopefully she will live a long and happy life, free with other rescue squirrels! I’ll be ringing them daily for updates!
    That's great news!

Yeah, glad they had another squirrel. I would have been worried otherwise given what standard policy is.