Thread: When/How to remove heating pad

Default When/How to remove heating pad

Our little flying squirrel Acorn has been with us for 2.5 weeks. His eyes opened the day he arrived and we are estimating he is around 7 weeks old. I did a ton of reading when we rescued him and got a heating pad set up under his cage. We've graduated to a large aquarium now with half of it on the heating pad (pad, towel, aquarium, then his bedding/cloths) and the other half on the floor. I'm wondering how we know when Acorn no longer needs the supplemental heat? So far it seems like every time I go in he's sleeping on the side of the cage that is over the heating pad. I don't mind keeping it on, but not sure if he will 'tell' me when he no longer needs it or if I should just go ahead and turn it off at some point. We're in western PA so running mid 60's during the day and low 40's at night...

Default Re: When/How to remove heating pad

Quote Originally Posted by akh View Post
    Our little flying squirrel Acorn has been with us for 2.5 weeks. His eyes opened the day he arrived and we are estimating he is around 7 weeks old. I did a ton of reading when we rescued him and got a heating pad set up under his cage. We've graduated to a large aquarium now with half of it on the heating pad (pad, towel, aquarium, then his bedding/cloths) and the other half on the floor. I'm wondering how we know when Acorn no longer needs the supplemental heat? So far it seems like every time I go in he's sleeping on the side of the cage that is over the heating pad. I don't mind keeping it on, but not sure if he will 'tell' me when he no longer needs it or if I should just go ahead and turn it off at some point. We're in western PA so running mid 60's during the day and low 40's at night...
    Yes, he will tell you when he no longer needs it...
    When he no longer needs the supplemented heat and is regulating
    his own body heat he will move off it to a cooler area/side.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator