Thread: Possible UTI

Default Possible UTI

Hi, Thanks for accepting me to the forum.
    I have 3 baby greys, 2 boys and a girl had them for about 4 weeks now and they are appx 8 weeks, I had to separate them due to them suckling on the boys penis's but I don't think I was quick enough as one recently doesn't want to accept milk and seems lathargic, it's penis is obviously sore and it winced and squeaked whilst urinating, he also had milky watery eyes which I believe after googling is a sign of pain! He is feeding a little bit but only with encouragement and less than its usual amount.

Vets won't treat squirrels where I am but I have some children's amoxicillin 250mg/5ml and ibuprofen 100mg/5ml. I also have some 400mg metronidazole tablets in but I'm not sure that would be any good for a UTI.

Would someone help me with dosage and any other tips to help get him better would be great.

Default Re: Possible UTI

Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    Hi, Thanks for accepting me to the forum.
    I have 3 baby greys, 2 boys and a girl had them for about 4 weeks now and they are appx 8 weeks, I had to separate them due to them suckling on the boys penis's but I don't think I was quick enough as one recently doesn't want to accept milk and seems lathargic, it's penis is obviously sore and it winced and squeaked whilst urinating, he also had milky watery eyes which I believe after googling is a sign of pain! He is feeding a little bit but only with encouragement and less than its usual amount.

Vets won't treat squirrels where I am but I have some children's amoxicillin 250mg/5ml and ibuprofen 100mg/5ml. I also have some 400mg metronidazole tablets in but I'm not sure that would be any good for a UTI.

Would someone help me with dosage and any other tips to help get him better would be great.
    Meds are dosed by body weight, we need a weight on this baby.
    Is there noticeable swelling of penis? Definitely in pain, milky eyes are squirrel tears.
    Check the tip of his penis to make sure it is not blocked with a scab from the suckling.
    If there is presence of a scab you need to use a warm wet compress on penis and remove the scab.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Meds are dosed by body weight, we need a weight on this baby.
    Is there noticeable swelling of penis? Definitely in pain, milky eyes are squirrel tears.
    Check the tip of his penis to make sure it is not blocked with a scab from the suckling.
    If there is presence of a scab you need to use a warm wet compress on penis and remove the scab.

He is 212g, he's visably lost some weight over the last coupe of days, I'm only managing to get a couple of ML of milk down him and he is having the odd nibble of food but not much.

No scab on penis, there was but I cleaned it off and I've been checking incase another forms, he is managing to wee but the one time he weed whilst I was holding him it obviously caused him pain.

Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    He is 212g, he's visably lost some weight over the last coupe of days, I'm only managing to get a couple of ML of milk down him and he is having the odd nibble of food but not much.

No scab on penis, there was but I cleaned it off and I've been checking incase another forms, he is managing to wee but the one time he weed whilst I was holding him it obviously caused him pain.

PM sent...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Nancy in New York (09-24-2020), Rock Monkey (09-24-2020), Spanky (09-23-2020)