Thread: Trying to figure out my baby squirrels age

Default Trying to figure out my baby squirrels age

Name:  74E259E9-85D3-4A7C-B3F9-CAB146177175.jpg
Views: 1731
Size:  108.4 KBName:  0C4A8C24-9D32-462D-ADAA-232178F7933C.jpg
Views: 2596
Size:  126.3 KB
    It’s been two weeks today that I have rescued my baby squirrel Simon. He fell out of a tree on Labor Day and I have had him ever since. He just opened his eyes last weekend. I thought he was probably 4 or 5 weeks old, but as of lately he’s been acting very “squirrelly” and I think he might be older. He weighs 4.0 ounces (113 grams) he eats like a pig every single time he eats (about 5 ccs of puppy milk replacer /fox valley on its way) every 4 hours. He used to sleep after eating but now all he wants to do is play. He’s constantly chewing on things now, his cage, stuffed animals, his blankets. He is currently in a cat crate but I’m wondering if I should get him something bigger? Also When should I introduce him to solids? My mom was eating gold fish to day, no I didn’t feed him one, but wanted to see if he would play with it.. he did. Sat on his back legs and started rotating it around in his hands... I think I’m about to have a handful of a squirrel!

Default Re: Trying to figure out my baby squirrels age

They open their eyes pretty much at 5 weeks, so he would be 6 weeks old.

A cat carrier is not big enough and he'll soon chew through plastic... they can chew their way out of a plastic carrier in minutes if they set their minds to it.

He should be introduced to solids now, but it should be rodent block and only rodent block. No other solids should be offered until he is eating his rodent block well. Henry's Healthy Block is the best of the best and squirrels generally eat better than anything else. It is a supplement block that they need only eat 1 - 2 block a day (2-3 as an adult) along with healthy veggies. If you use "commercial" block like Mazuri or TekLad that will need to be 80% of his diet.. and they generally do not like it well.

If you get the Henry's get the picky and / or wild bites IMO:
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Here is the link to the healthy squirrel diet:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Are you planning to release Simon?

"
    I think I’m about to have a handful of a squirrel!
    "

Yes, you do and that is totally natural. A grey squirrel is a high energy animal. The will leap, sprint, and roll around and you are going to think that there is something wrong with him. He will just be practicing escape and evasion. Squirrels that just sit around on the ground get eaten. They will seek the high ground and are willing to leap for it, even if they fall. They will try again.

You will likely have to rearrange some things and remove some things. Beware, they may chew on electric cords. I am pretty sure that they think they are branches and branches that are in the way get chewed off.

You can give him so oak branches to chew on. I cut them into one to two inch pieces. Try a little plain cardboard. Only give a paper towel or toilet paper roll if it has been torn in half.

If you can find a piece of deer antler that will be well received. They actually eat it to get necessary minerals.

He might put your finger in his mouth but will likely not bite down, unless really aggravated. Claws will get sharper. Long sleeve shirts will help. They do eventually figure out what is your skin and what is you clothes and will walk lightly on your skin. Give feedback if something hurts. Say, "Oh." They are smart and will learn. Don't yell at them, that will only get you more of what you don't want. The best way for you to keep them calm is for you to be calm. Talk to them so they can know what you are feeling and it helps you to monitor your own mood. The better they like you, the better they will behave.

Some noises will scare the crap out of them.

Thanks for the info! I’m honestly not sure as to if I will be releasing him or not. I’m kind of just taking it day by day. I’m already so attached to him, but at the same time want what’s best for him. I’m aware of and 100 percent willing to put in the work to care for him for the long haul. Just not exactly sure what I plan on doing yet

So I see you listed about 3 different types of blocks, which one of the three should I get? Also do I incorporate this in with his formula? Also what size cage is good for him at this age? I was looking into a tall cage used for ferrets and rabbits for when he got a little biggerName:  D460F059-00DD-48E1-B7C5-96AB34474C18.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  72.9 KB

I would get the Picky block, it's more expensive but as the name suggests even the pickiest eaters eat that type. But everything is more expensive if you buy it and it goes to waste! A bag will last a single squirrel about a month (keep in freezer!).

Cages should not have more than 1/2" bar spacing... they tend to chew on cage bars if they are able which can permanently damage their teeth.

Horizontal bars are ideal, but not absolutely necessary. This just makes it easier for them to climb around when they are little.

A double level Critter Nation is what I think if the cage of choice, but they are not cheap (unless you catch a good sale!).
    https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Critt.../dp/B001NJ0DAY

I was going to send some links of other cages, but I am noticing all the cage prices seem to be up up up... twice what I paid for one less than a year ago. Oy! So Craigslist or something might be a good strategy!

And I will leave you with the info in the link below. I believe in giving all healthy squirrels the choice to be free in the trees. They were born to live 75 feet up in the tree tops and nothing we can give them can come close to the life they were born to live IMO.

Animals_SquirrelsAreNotPets.pdf

I was just reading on the release process, because you are right. As much as I am already attached I want what’s best for him.. I have many rescues in my home (6 dogs 2 cats, 2 African gray parrots) and just read a horror story on dogs ripping apart someone’s babies and I could not live with that. I live on about 2 acres and would release him in my back yard. The question is when? I live in Atlanta ga, and although it doesn’t get as cold as up north, temps do drop. Should I wait until the spring time to release him? I want to do 100 percent right by him, and don’t want to leave him at a disadvantage by waiting to long, but want temps to be warmer for him.also do you know if when I release him he will ever come back to visit.. because that would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Adasilva View Post
    I was just reading on the release process, because you are right. As much as I am already attached I want what’s best for him.. I have many rescues in my home (6 dogs 2 cats, 2 African gray parrots) and just read a horror story on dogs ripping apart someone’s babies and I could not live with that. I live on about 2 acres and would release him in my back yard. The question is when? I live in Atlanta ga, and although it doesn’t get as cold as up north, temps do drop. Should I wait until the spring time to release him? I want to do 100 percent right by him, and don’t want to leave him at a disadvantage by waiting to long, but want temps to be warmer for him.also do you know if when I release him he will ever come back to visit.. because that would be awesome!
    Your baby will need to be overwintered for a spring release.
    When you do the protocol for soft release, that becomes their safe zone and many either hang around after
    actual release or at least visit once in awhile.
    We are only their caretakers, releasing them into their natural environment to be as their lives were intended
    to be is always what is best for them and putting them first as it should be.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Adasilva View Post
    Hi there
    I just read your post and live in Marietta and we found a baby squirrel on August 23rd off of Allgood road and have been raising her ever since. I am in the same situation as you, we have gotten attached to her though I am the only one feeding and caring for her because we read that is what's best for her. I was going to take her up to Spanky ( you will see him on here, very well respected) who lives up at Lake Hartwell. My partner thinks we should keep her to release her here where she will be able to visit us or see us when she wants. I was the first person she saw when she opened her eyes and I am so torn on what I should do. I would love to chat with you, my number is 404 379 0277 and my name is Alice and we can commiserate on our babies.