Thread: Antlers?

Default Antlers?

I bought an antler and my 13 week old boy wants nothing to do with it. Did your squirrels go right for antlers or did it take them awhile? He's had it for 3 days.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Antlers?

None of mine have ever chewed on antlers. My yard squirrels do chew on dried beef bones that I buy for my dog. I hang them in their trees and have seen multiple squirrels use them.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

bre (10-06-2020), GeorgiesMom (09-24-2020)

I bought an antler and my 13 week old boy wants nothing to do with it. Did your squirrels go right for antlers or did it take them awhile? He's had it for 3 days.
    I think that depends on the squirrel.

In Helen's case that was some of the most excited I had ever seen her. She grabbed the 8" antler in her mouth and leaped to my shoulder. Time slowed down. It was an "Oh ____!" moment. Fortunately, it was the dull end that hit me below the eye.

At first she went to town on that thing. Now I think it has been a long time since she has touched it.

It may depend on whether they feel they need any minerals.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Diggie's Friend (09-21-2020), GeorgiesMom (09-24-2020)

The litter we raised paid more interest in them when we cut up into smaller sections, no more than 1 to 1/2 inches long, that made it easier for them to hold them in their paws as they do when opening up nuts. Not to say that squirrels won't chew on antlers and bones otherwise, yet at this size they spent much more time gnawing on them.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

bre (10-06-2020), GeorgiesMom (09-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    The litter we raised paid more interest in them when we cut up into smaller sections, no more than 1 to 1/2 inches long, that made it easier for them to hold them in their paws as they do when opening up nuts. Not to say that squirrels won't chew on antlers and bones otherwise, yet at this size they spent much more time gnawing on them.
    Yeah, they have to gnaw pretty hard. I pinned the antler I gave to Helen with a heavy object.

Just watch to make sure the gnawing doesn't produce any sharp edges, file them off if it does.

Thanks everyone. After a week, a gave it to my dog.

I'm interested in this topic.....I've read that we need to give them something like antlers or a bone to gnaw on to wear their teeth down, otherwise the 4 teeth will get too long. I have tried dried beef and lamb bones from the pet store, intended for dogs, but our 2 reds turn their noses at it, didn't even touch them.

I regularly give them fresh maple branches (1-2 inches thick) and spruce boards (2x4's cut up), they love both of these and chew them up in no time. But is that enough to help wear their teeth down ?
    It's not easy finding antlers, but is that what I should be getting for their teeth ? I also read someone using old stones that are smooth-worn from a river or seashore ? We are overwintering these 2 young reds and i sure don't want their teeth to become a health problem.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Stevelisa from:

Diggie's Friend (12-04-2022)