Thread: Becoming a Rehaber

Default Becoming a Rehaber

Hi All,

I live in Southern California, LA area, and want to help with squirrel rehab. I signed up with an agency near me early in the year but they never called me for the training day, then COVID happened. I'm hoping that I will be able to help when squirrel season comes around again. I have fostered numerous puppies and kitties and even baby rabbits. I currently have one little squirrel that was brought to my vet at about a week to two weeks old. She's about 7 weeks old now and seems to be doing well. As of this morning, she weighed 220 grams and has been eating her Henry's Blocks about a week now and still eating her 20/50 formula 4 times a day. I gave her some broccoli earlier today and she ate a little. I really appreciate this board, it has been so much help. She did have a serious case of bloat from the Fox Valley 32/40 but thanks to this board it resolved within 24 hours. Anyway, please let me know who to contact to help with the next baby season!

Thanks,

Christina
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Becoming a Rehaber

Hi Christina, and ! So glad we were able to be a help to you with that precious fox squirrel you have.

I don't know California's licensing requirements very well but you should easily find them on line. Rehabbers in warmer climates often have babies coming in year 'round, so I would begin the process of getting licensed and look for local rehabbers where you can get some experience. Coast & Canyon Wildlife has a great reputation and more than one facility up and down the West Coast. Have you contacted them?

http://coastandcanyonwildlife.org/contacts.html

Good luck!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: Becoming a Rehaber

Thank you for the response. Yes, I did contact them but they weren't taking any more volunteers this year. They sent me to another lady near me that had 20 babies she was rehabbing and said she would have loved me to help but she is 82 and not allowing anyone into her home right now.