Thread: Eating and drinking

Default Re: Eating and drinking

The little angel has just arive
    https://ibb.co/RjqkNH3

Quote Originally Posted by Napped View Post
    The little angel has just arive
    https://ibb.co/RjqkNH3
    She's a cutie. I'm so glad your other girl is starting to eat. Have you named her yet?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    She's a cutie. I'm so glad your other girl is starting to eat. Have you named her yet?
    Caucasian named sally

For the mew one i am thinking..
    Any suggest?

Caucasian named sally

For the mew one i am thinking..
    Any suggest?
    She's so tiny I would call her Pixie based on that, but sometimes they need a name based on personality which is how my cats Little Monster and Nuisance got their names.😂

Update for sally(caucasian)

So again today give her water via syring so she dont dehydrate BUT SHE DONT EAT!!!

I CANT PROSSES IT LIKE WHAT SHE GONNA DO STARVING WITH THE FOOD NEXT TO HER???

Am i need to force feed too?

She also sometimes make a tremple with her mouth and make a smooth whistle sound

She is in rhe same spot near 10 hours now
    I will try to make a video later to show you

Update for sally(caucasian)

So again today give her water via syring so she dont dehydrate BUT SHE DONT EAT!!!

I CANT PROSSES IT LIKE WHAT SHE GONNA DO STARVING WITH THE FOOD NEXT TO HER???

Am i need to force feed too?

She also sometimes make a tremple with her mouth and make a smooth whistle sound

She is in rhe same spot near 10 hours now
    I will try to make a video later to show you
    If you're able to syringe her water, maybe try syringe feeding her baby food if you don't have any formula.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    If you're able to syringe her water, maybe try syringe feeding her baby food if you don't have any formula.
    I am not sure ether if she drink water cuz i dont want to choke her i have never did this before so i dont now how much pressure to put to stabelize her and how much to giver her to her mouth..some water gets wasted also trying to so i am not rly sure i do this right

Use a syringe to give her just a few drops at a time and then wait a few seconds for her to swallow before giving her a few more drops. It can take a while but going slower is better. Also, here is a recipe for a hydration solution so that she also gets some electrolytes and her blood sugar doesn't drop too low while she's not eating:

Homemade Rehydration fluid:
    1 cup warm water
    1 tablespoon honey, molasses, syrup, or sugar
    1 pinch salt

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mel_la_fee from:

Nancy in New York (09-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mel_la_fee View Post
    Use a syringe to give her just a few drops at a time and then wait a few seconds for her to swallow before giving her a few more drops. It can take a while but going slower is better. Also, here is a recipe for a hydration solution so that she also gets some electrolytes and her blood sugar doesn't drop too low while she's not eating:

Homemade Rehydration fluid:
    1 cup warm water
    1 tablespoon honey, molasses, syrup, or sugar
    1 pinch salt
    That what i give her.. i read it somewhere here maybe from you

Update sallys behavior and movement

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zbh1Mpdjn-A

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-iy3UXbt9oA

https://youtube.com/watch?v=imnCz3NY8lU

And when i put her back to her cage she always dose this
    Name:  IMG_20200924_000444.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  146.3 KB

Upadate..

So today i give her water again with syringe
    She seems a liitle more energetic and this time was a little easier cuz she drink a little bit by own also lick some from the wasted that was droped
    Try to feed her solid food but unsuccesfully..
    I am thinking of grinding some mix of nuts and seeds with fruits to make a pasta like babies food go give her

Hope i did this right..

Name:  IMG_20200925_132640.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  89.8 KB

Fingers crossed!

2 blocks for the big one(caucasian/persian) and 1 for each small one (himalayans)?

Aaaaand the results
    They are looking pretty good
    Name:  IMG_20200925_150104.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  88.2 KB

Good job, they look yummy 😁
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Update sallys behavior and movement

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zbh1Mpdjn-A

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-iy3UXbt9oA

https://youtube.com/watch?v=imnCz3NY8lU

And when i put her back to her cage she always dose this
    Name:  IMG_20200924_000444.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  146.3 KB

Just a couple of things with these videos.
    They LOVE to hide in cut pieces of blankets or old sweatshirts.
    Nothing with any kind of loops because they get their nails hung up.
    Make sure the container she is in is deep enough so that she cannot crawl out
    if you aren't using the cage.

Never let her be able to get to the ground, or to fall.
    She should never be around exposed wires, ever.
    We have seen too many squirrels electrocuted with one bite.

Her diet is way off.
    Please go to the following link and follow the pyramid.

Upadate..

I am thinking of grinding some mix of nuts and seeds with fruits to make a pasta like babies food go give her
    Is this their typical diet in your country, or are you just guessing.
    She is absolutely adorable, by the way.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

I am not sure ether if she drink water cuz i dont want to choke her i have never did this before so i dont now how much pressure to put to stabelize her and how much to giver her to her mouth..some water gets wasted also trying to so i am not rly sure i do this right
    Below is a description of proper technique from Ms. Cummins. It is important that you learn the safe way to feed a squirrel with a syringe (no needle, of course) if not you can cause the water or food to go into the lungs which is very bad.

You can use the syringe to dispense baby food from a jar. Just buy the baby food with no sugar added.

Name:  Feeding positioning.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  12.5 KB

Feeding Technique

While holding the baby upright but leaning slightly forward with the oral syringe angled slightly upward and forward to form a 90 degree angle with the baby, you can place the tip of the oral syringe right to the babies lips then gently and slowly squeeze one drop for them to taste. (Photo below) When babies are 4 weeks of age and older they may prefer to lie prone on their stomachs while grasping the syringe in their paws. They may start to make suckling, licking or lapping motions with their mouths and tongue then you can slowly squeeze out more drops of fluid. Do not squeeze out a regular stream, instead squeeze a tiny bit then allow them to swallow that amount before squeezing more. With pinkies I go drop by drop because they are so easy to aspirate, i.e. to take fluids into the lungs by suction. If they become aspirated, they can die of pneumonia without proper treatment. Proper treatment is the use of antibiotics, generally Clavamox liquid. With older babies I will squeeze fluid slowly for one second, let them swallow that, then squeeze more. If fluids dribble out the mouth or come out the nose, you are going too fast. If fluids come out the nose, stop feeding immediately, hold them upside down for a few seconds, blot their nose with dry tissue paper then let them wait a few minutes before resuming feeding.

If the baby does not immediately suck, lick or lap the fluid, you can gently place the tip of the syringe into their mouth. It's sometimes easier to enter from the side of the mouth especially if they already have teeth. Then gently squeeze out a drop of fluid into their mouth for them to taste. It sometimes takes a feeding or two for them to catch onto the new feeding method.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Below is a description of proper technique from Ms. Cummins. It is important that you learn the safe way to feed a squirrel with a syringe (no needle, of course) if not you can cause the water or food to go into the lungs which is very bad.

You can use the syringe to dispense baby food from a jar. Just buy the baby food with no sugar added.

Name:  Feeding positioning.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  12.5 KB

Feeding Technique

While holding the baby upright but leaning slightly forward with the oral syringe angled slightly upward and forward to form a 90 degree angle with the baby, you can place the tip of the oral syringe right to the babies lips then gently and slowly squeeze one drop for them to taste. (Photo below) When babies are 4 weeks of age and older they may prefer to lie prone on their stomachs while grasping the syringe in their paws. They may start to make suckling, licking or lapping motions with their mouths and tongue then you can slowly squeeze out more drops of fluid. Do not squeeze out a regular stream, instead squeeze a tiny bit then allow them to swallow that amount before squeezing more. With pinkies I go drop by drop because they are so easy to aspirate, i.e. to take fluids into the lungs by suction. If they become aspirated, they can die of pneumonia without proper treatment. Proper treatment is the use of antibiotics, generally Clavamox liquid. With older babies I will squeeze fluid slowly for one second, let them swallow that, then squeeze more. If fluids dribble out the mouth or come out the nose, you are going too fast. If fluids come out the nose, stop feeding immediately, hold them upside down for a few seconds, blot their nose with dry tissue paper then let them wait a few minutes before resuming feeding.

If the baby does not immediately suck, lick or lap the fluid, you can gently place the tip of the syringe into their mouth. It's sometimes easier to enter from the side of the mouth especially if they already have teeth. Then gently squeeze out a drop of fluid into their mouth for them to taste. It sometimes takes a feeding or two for them to catch onto the new feeding method.
    Thanks a lot for advises the problem when i give her water is that she not a baby and he push me hard to release her and i do t want to harm her by keeping her still a try to put as less power in grip i can.. i make the blocks and put her remove all other seeds and nuts and i am gonna buy baby food to syrigne feed her if she still havent eat the block

Update
    Milly (female himalayan)eat almost immidenlty the block so i think i will not have problem with her
    Kodi (male himalayn)was already eat much before i made them and he doesnt touch it yet but i think he will eat it tommorow that he will be hungry
    Sally (caucasian) still be very very unactive laying all time also when i get her out to coudle with me shes ok but when i get her close to her cage to out her in she struggling to let her and goes staight in
    Feed her baby food with no add sugar via syringe and she ate a little bit but not much.
    I am starting to thinking if she need any medicine to boost her.
    I am reading many different medicines here that guys give but i dont know what is for what.
    Her belly is squizy as water ballon and on air and she had poop and pee but not much ether.
    Any recomentetion for medicine?

+I have one friend vet but ofc doesnt take on squirrels but he gave me ivermectin for kodi cuz then i got him was very very ichy to he stage that he got rid all the fur in spots until the hole spot was red and then bites it but now he has all his fur again not as healthy as millys but much better than before now he cratch him self again but he has no same effect

I curious why the YouTube videos of Sally look like a different picture that was posted about her arrival. The arrival picture looks like a striped squirrel while the you tube looks like more like the pictures I see when I google Caucasian squirrels.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast