Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Eating and drinking

Default Re: Eating and drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Napped View Post
    I think that i hear clicking today from sally and i think that one of her nostril is closed from boogers can it be just cold or effect of antibiotic that i start giving her???
    Is the clicking present all of the time? Is she open mouth breathing?

Squirrels make a ticking sound with their pallets when they purr, but this is usually very brief, lasting fewer than 10 seconds.

The boogers could be something clearing from her lungs. You know the way when you are getting over a cold and you hack up green/yellow phlegm. (I don't know if squirrels do this.)

Be sure you don't aspirate her when you are giving the antibiotic. Small, O-ring syringes are preferable.

What size syringe are you using and does it have an o-ring?

Regarding the avocado, be sure you are only giving her the fruit, not the skin or the big pit in the middle. Those part contain some toxins. They are not acute toxins but the squirrel shouldn't be given that part of the fruit, as Mel1959 has already mentioned.

As far as the antibiotic is concerned, are you following the time schedule (frequency) that you were advised to use?

How is her appetite and activity level currently?

If they get aspiration pneumonia both of these will decline substantially.

Is she warmer or colder than normal?

If the clicking is occurring with each breath you want to keep her warm and upright (with her head above her chest) and I wouldn't leave her unattended if possible. Maybe put her in a shirt pocket. If there is fluid in the lungs this will keep the fluid at the bottom of the lungs so that air can still go in and out of the top of the lungs.

The antibiotic should be clearing any lung infection, not causing it, unless she aspirated when the antibiotic was administered.

You might be hearing a noise from her breathing if she’s congested. Yes, they can get respiratory infections. I do not believe the antibiotic would cause this reaction. Continue with the antibiotic for the length of time recommended....usually 7-10 days. Use a warm cloth to clear her nostrils so breathing is easier. You can also take her in a bathroom and run a hot shower to produce steam and sit in there with her.

Her mood has not change form the usual and i am not sure if its clicking or noise from breath out air the blocked nostril..the weather have changed rapidly from yesterday and temp has fall..i will she how she is doing for today and i will update
    Also for the syringe i have a 2.5 cc to give her the antibiotic and the dose is so little that its 2 small pushes so i dont think i aspirate her

Also for the syringe i have a 2.5 cc to give her the antibiotic and the dose is so little that its 2 small pushes so i dont think i aspirate her
    A smaller syringe would be much better. Can you get a 1 cc or 1/2 of one cc syringe? Preferably one with an o-ring.

Also, practice with the syringe with plain water by yourself, trying to get one drop to come out at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    A smaller syringe would be much better. Can you get a 1 cc or 1/2 of one cc syringe? Preferably one with an o-ring.

Also, practice with the syringe with plain water by yourself, trying to get one drop to come out at a time.
    Any smaller syringe is for insuline treatment and pharmacy dosent sell smaller if tou dont have doctor paper for insuline so i cant get smaller than 2.5

She also losing weight now is 182 gr

Any smaller syringe is for insuline treatment and pharmacy dosent sell smaller if tou dont have doctor paper for insuline so i cant get smaller than 2.5

She also losing weight now is 182 gr
    Damn on both counts!

If your syringe doesn't move smoothly you can lubricate the rubber part of the plunger with a little bit vegetable oil and see if that makes it move more smoothly. Most important, just practice with the syringe with just water trying to get just one drop to come out.

Is she eating today?

Is she pooping? And, if so, how is the consistency?

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

seahorse (10-20-2020)

Damn on both counts!

If your syringe doesn't move smoothly you can lubricate the rubber part of the plunger with a little bit vegetable oil and see if that makes it move more smoothly. Most important, just practice with the syringe with just water trying to get just one drop to come out.

Is she eating today?

Is she pooping? And, if so, how is the consistency?
    For pooping and eating i cant be 100% sure everyday if i dont see them in that exact moment pooping or eating coz they are 2 in the same cage..

For pooping and eating i cant be 100% sure everyday if i dont see them in that exact moment pooping or eating coz they are 2 in the same cage..
    This is apparently what nanny (baby sitter) cameras are for. (I am being sarcastic.) I sometimes wish I had one, for the same reason.

Well, at least somebody is eating. Her weight is dropping fast and that has me worried.

I would give her a small nut, with the shell removed, and see if she will eat it, making sure that he doesn't take it. Usually they will eat a nut right away, especially if they are hungry. She needs calories of any kind at this point.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

seahorse (10-20-2020)

This is apparently what nanny (baby sitter) cameras are for. (I am being sarcastic.) I sometimes wish I had one, for the same reason.

Well, at least somebody is eating. Her weight is dropping fast and that has me worried.
    Me too..
    Yesterday i see her when i weak up that she was on the dish and ate avocado but when i move a little she went in the nest
    That makes me think that she may eating when i am off the room

Me too..
    Yesterday i see her when i weak up that she was on the dish and ate avocado but when i move a little she went in the nest
    That makes me think that she may eating when i am off the room
    I would just watch her from a distance, casually looking out of the corner of your eye, as you go about something else quietly, so as to not spook her.

They are very alert and sensitive.

I would just watch her from a distance, casually looking out of the corner of your eye, as you go about something else quietly, so as to not spook her.

They are very alert and sensitive.
    most of the time she is in the nest so i cant see her..the if times i see her is when she get out climbing in the front of the cage pee drink water and back in its is.or when i get her out to spent time together
    Konan spent more time in the cage than sally and i am 100% sure that he eats the blocks first days not much but now he gets more and i see him he has more energy and can move way better but he is a little uncomfy yet but he is starting to calm too

Be sure he is not taking all the food. Squirrels can bully other squirrels and prevent them from getting food when caged together.

Have you tried mashing up avocado and mixing it with baby food and a little formula and feeding her by syringe? It’s not ideal, but it will ensure that she is getting some food. The antibiotic may be upsetting her stomach and she still sounds very afraid. Both of these things may affect her willingness to eat.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

seahorse (10-20-2020)

How much does she weigh today?

How is her appetite today?

Is there still a discharge from her nose today?

If her nose is congested this will make it difficult for her to breath when you administer the antibiotic or try to give her food with the syringe. You need to push out the smallest amount possible and back off and allow her time to process that, swallow and take a few breaths before you try to get more into her. Observe her very carefully as you do this and you be better able to be sure she is safely processing what you give her. Be slow, be very patient.

With the antibiotic you might try having the full dose mixed, but only pull up the smallest amount possible into the syringe. That way if the plunger sticks a little she will only have to cope with a little fluid. A little bit of fluid going the wrong way is always better than a lot of fluid going the wrong way. Then just keeping going that way, giving the smallest possible amount, until the full dose is given.

Below is a video which may help you with your technique with using the syringe with a squirrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

I don't know how it is in your country, but sometimes drug rehabilitation programs will give out free syringes to prevent the addicts from getting sick from reusing the same syringe. (I am just trying to think of ways to get you a smaller syringe.)

How much does she weigh today?

How is her appetite today?

Is there still a discharge from her nose today?

If her nose is congested this will make it difficult for her to breath when you administer the antibiotic or try to give her food with the syringe. You need to push out the smallest amount possible and back off and allow her time to process that, swallow and take a few breaths before you try to get more into her. Observe her very carefully as you do this and you be better able to be sure she is safely processing what you give her. Be slow, be very patient.

With the antibiotic you might try having the full dose mixed, but only pull up the smallest amount possible into the syringe. That way if the plunger sticks a little she will only have to cope with a little fluid. A little bit of fluid going the wrong way is always better than a lot of fluid going the wrong way. Then just keeping going that way, giving the smallest possible amount, until the full dose is given.

Below is a video which may help you with your technique with using the syringe with a squirrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

I don't know how it is in your country, but sometimes drug rehabilitation programs will give out free syringes to prevent the addicts from getting sick from reusing the same syringe. (I am just trying to think of ways to get you a smaller syringe.)
    She is 175g
    And i notice in some spot starting losing fur

Have you been back to the store that you got her from? Have you asked what she was being fed and gotten some of whatever it is? The rate that she’s losing weight is very concerning so I think finding out what she had been eating is a priority.

Keep her nose clear by wiping it gently with a warm cloth.

How many doses of medicine has she had?

Losing fur can be nutritional or seasonal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Have you been back to the store that you got her from? Have you asked what she was being fed and gotten some of whatever it is? The rate that she’s losing weight is very concerning so I think finding out what she had been eating is a priority.

Keep her nose clear by wiping it gently with a warm cloth.

How many doses of medicine has she had?

Losing fur can be nutritional or seasonal.
    Until now she got 7 doses
    Pet store gave seeds nuts in mix with fruits
    I have made some boo balls and replace FV with yogurt.. hoping she will eat

Can you locate a different medicine called Clavamox (animal version) or Augmentin (people version) in case it needs to be added in addition to the Ciproflaxin or in case she needs to have the antibiotic switched?

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast