Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating and drinking

Default Re: Eating and drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    He has posted multiple pictures of what medication he got on page 9 of this thread. He said that today Sally weighed 196-200, that info is given earlier this page.
    Thank you. There’s a lot of different directions going on in this thread. I have reached out to an admin for help with dosing based on the strength and weight already stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    Hello. A few questions:

1. What is the strength of the Cipro and the weight of the squirrel.

2. Also, do you have peanut butter with you? Don't give it to the squirrel yet. I just want to know if you have peanut butter or if you can buy it now?

3. Have you ruled out malocclusion by taking a scan or x-ray.

4. Have you ruled out UTI?
    The weight and strength have been given.

Im not sure if the questions about malocclusion and UTI have been answered or asked. Both would be good to know, especially about the teeth. If Napped can open the mouth and look at the alignment of the teeth it would be helpful since eating is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If Napped can open the mouth and look at the alignment of the teeth it would be helpful since eating is an issue.
    He has already posted a picture of her teeth in this thread. Page 5, Comment number 94, by Spanky. Senior members concluded that they look fine.

I don't know if UTI has been discussed. Napped has mentioned that she is peeing six times a day, he wondered if this was too often and he mentioned that initially her urine smelled funky but now smells unremarkable.

The weight and strength have been given.

Im not sure if the questions about malocclusion and UTI have been answered or asked. Both would be good to know, especially about the teeth. If Napped can open the mouth and look at the alignment of the teeth it would be helpful since eating is an issue.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...d-in-this-case

The above link has a pic of the squirrel's teeth. They seem to be alright visually. But what I'm thinking of is, a malocclusion can occur due to cage chewing as well and it won't be seen even if the front 4 teeth are perfectly aligned which is why a scan is suggested.

He has already posted a picture of her teeth in this thread. Senior members concluded that they look fine.

I don't know if UTI has been discussed. Napped has mentioned that she is peeing six times a day, he wondered if this was too often and he mentioned that initially her urine smelled funky but now smell unremarkable.
    Exactly. In the following thread, a few symptoms of UTI are mentioned:

From what Napped has posted here, the squirrel seems to have had many of those symptoms of UTI. So maybe she can be treated for that as well along with Cipro and Calcium. Waiting for Mel or any other experts opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post

The above link has a pic of the squirrel's teeth. They seem to be alright visually. But what I'm thinking of is, a malocclusion can occur due to cage chewing as well and it won't be seen even if the front 4 teeth are perfectly aligned which is why a scan is suggested.
    It is a mystery as to what is going on. There could be parasites in her gut. She has eaten a cucumber and he has force fed her some baby food and goats milk, or something, however the sum total impression is that there are very few calories going in and that can only go on for so long.

He has never reported cage chewing, but who knows what occurred at the pet store. The store doesn't seem to care much about the proper diet for a squirrel.

I really appreciate Rock Monkey’s and Clare’s input here. As I said, thIs thread has been all over the place and frankly it’s been hard to follow.

A UTI is a definite possibility, but I’m not sure that would completely explain the lack of wanting to eat.

We in the U.S. are at a disadvantage because we don’t know what resources (vets, xrays, etc) are available in places like India.

If a vet is an option for xrays or other diagnostics that’s always our first choice. This board was created for those folks that don’t have that ability.

There would be no harm in trying an antibiotic to see how, or if, it helps. The worst side effect from the antibiotic is gastrointestinal issues, so some type of probiotic would be recommended.

As I said in an earlier post, I have reached out to an admin for dosing.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Clare (10-16-2020)

Dosing for Cipro will be sent to your private messages. ~ thanks Mel
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (10-16-2020)

Hey guys thanks a lot all of you for caring but with all that post i am a little lost and my english is not very good i will try to give as more info i can in this

Then i first got sally she was very bloated to the point i thought she was pregnant and just put her in the cage in the first days to calm
    Fisrt days didnt eat and drink anything and some days later she pie the first very very smelly pee,after that she start to pee time by time more offer and also i didnt found many poops
    I was worry for dehydration and starving and start guve her home made pedialyte(water honey salt)
    after ther i start give her baby food and calcium with syringe and thought that might with the teeth are wrong i have a pic somewhere in the topic i dont know why the video from youtube was removed...
    She started to deflate but now i can the bones of her chest i change them the blocks every morning to be fresh and water also(she drink from her own now from bowl in cage)
    When she pee she climb to the front of the cage and pee all over the floor but i dont know if his is normal(my hymalaians pee standing so this is also a alert for me)
    Other food i try are
    Peanut butter(seems to dislike it )
    Orange(gave her calcium with orange juice)
    Watermellon(dislike)
    Avocado(didnt touched)
    Block with organic coconut oil drop on(no interest)
    Cucumber(first solid food i see her eat as i bring it to her)
    I am really not sure what medical issues she can have and i dont have vets here that take on squirrels to take blood test or x rays
    The things a want to try now are
    Antibiotics or any other medicine seems to feet in for appetite,lethargic,pain,stress
    She is not paralyzed she move all feets and walk and jump but the ways i find her laying sometimes worry me so much that i think that something happened to her and i check it to see if she is good and can stand move all feets etc.
    I didnt she her have any seizure all this time
    I didnt hear her yell,cry,roar or make any noise then pet her lift her or even squise her genlty to check spots or when she walk run jump

All good info, thank you. Access your private messages under the “notifications” at the top of the page and your private message will be there with dosing for the cipro.

Thank you, Step.

PM with dosing has been sent......

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (10-16-2020)

You mentioned your using a 2cc syringe, if the picture
    does not resemble what you have let me know.

Name:  2CC syringe.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  9.1 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (10-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Napped View Post
    When she pee she climb to the front of the cage and pee all over the floor but i dont know if his is normal(my hymalaians pee standing so this is also a alert for me)
    That is normal, she wouldn't be the first squirrel to pee out of the cage. This is actually a small, good sign. She is trying not to pee where she lives, I believe for both reasons of hygiene and making the location of the nest less obvious to predators.

Have you tried giving her local pine cones?

At this point, in my opinion, with ribs showing, I would willing to give her a raw nut (no salt, no sugar, no spices, no roasting) just to get some calories in her. Almonds have the best ratio calcium to potassium. At this rate she will starve and her organs shut down before MBD gets her. The idea would be that eating a nut or piece of a nut should jump start her appetite for other foods.

Keep trying things until she eats something. She needs to get some calories as soon as possible.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

seahorse (10-18-2020)

There would be no harm in trying an antibiotic to see how, or if, it helps. The worst side effect from the antibiotic is gastrointestinal issues, so some type of probiotic would be recommended.
    Napped, yogurt is going to be your best, readily available source of probiotic.

Ι have start giving her the antibiotic from today and also she ate some of avocado and some of the block atfer second dose of antibiotic i will wieght her

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Napped:

CrazyCatLady (10-17-2020), seahorse (10-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Napped View Post
    Ι have start giving her the antibiotic from today and also she ate some of avocado and some of the block atfer second dose of antibiotic i will wieght her
    That is awesome news!!!

I am hoping that once she starts eating that will get her digestion going, spurring more hunger.

(I am assuming you know this, but I am just saying it to be certain, feed her the ripe avocado, they taste the best. Here in the stores what they sell usually won't be ripe for several days and sometimes I have a very disappointed squirrel when I forget to have an avocado ripening as I work through the one I am currently feeding her.)

With the antibiotics just be sure to follow the dosing directions carefully and be sure to give the full recommended dose over the number of days specified. This way you will sure to fully get rid of/eliminate what is bothering her.

Her poop may become a little soft because of the antibiotic which is why it is recommend to also feed her some yogurt to restore good, necessary bacteria to her digestive system.

Her poop may become a little soft because of the antibiotic which is why it is recommend to also feed her some yogurt to restore good, necessary bacteria to her digestive system.
    I will give her yogurt too for the probiotics
    Just weight her and she is 190gr

That is awesome news!!!

I am hoping that once she starts eating that will get her digestion going, spurring more hunger.

(I am assuming you know this, but I am just saying it to be certain, feed her the ripe avocado, they taste the best. Here in the stores what they sell usually won't be ripe for several days and sometimes I have a very disappointed squirrel when I forget to have an avocado ripening as I work through the one I am currently feeding her.)

With the antibiotics just be sure to follow the dosing directions carefully and be sure to give the full recommended dose over the number of days specified. This way you will sure to fully get rid of/eliminate what is bothering her.
    Please be sure there is no skin or pit (seed) on the avocado.

I think that i hear clicking today from sally and i think that one of her nostril is closed from boogers can it be just cold or effect of antibiotic that i start giving her???

https://ibb.co/VS5FFgV

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast