Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating and drinking

Default Eating and drinking

Hello to all squirrel friend here.I am new to this forum and also new to squirrels..sorry but my english is not much So here is the deal i have a himalayan striped squirrel that i bought from a pet shop in my town it was ok in first weeks but then propably got MBD from his diet..in my country i cant get hernys block so i tried to find foods with high calcium in them to help him and also put him feta to eat. He is doing fine now he can jump and climb around again cuz he ever strugle to urine before i chance his diet..now i have bought a caucasian squirrel(very larger tahn the himalayan)and i have her 3 days now...she doesnt eat or drink anything and doesnt move at all..i am start to worry cuz the himalayan doesnt have any problem to eat or drink water when i got him to my home he was just afraid of me didnt want to pet him ,bites,hide,etc.the new one dont have problem to pet her and if i try to pick her up doesnt bite..i dont want her to dehydrate or starving any suggest???

Default Re: Eating and drinking

Also i think that she might be pregnant cuz she has very large belly

Hi! When you say she doesn't move at all do you mean doesn't run and jump like the other or truly does no.t move? Is she paralyzed? If she can't move AT ALL she may have advanced MBD. Maybe a few drops of syrup or something sweet in water may get her to drink? I hope she is not too far gone. Was she not moving from when you first got her or did she become less active after you got her home? Is there a way to find out how she was cared for before you bought her?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Clare (09-27-2020), Procyon Lotor (12-13-2020)

Do you have antacid tablets available? Like Tums? You would want the ones that are just calcium carbonate, NOT with Vitamin D. It can keep your Himalayan from getting MBD again, just sprinkle some on his food. But if the new squirrel won't eat, I don't know how to get it into her. There are many people here who can help you. Keep checking for replies from the experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Napped View Post
    Also i think that she might be pregnant cuz she has very large belly
    Oy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Hi! When you say she doesn't move at all do you mean doesn't run and jump like the other or truly does no.t move? Is she paralyzed? If she can't move AT ALL she may have advanced MBD. Maybe a few drops of syrup or something sweet in water may get her to drink? I hope she is not too far gone. Was she not moving from when you first got her or did she become less active after you got her home? Is there a way to find out how she was cared for before you bought her?
    Hello i didnt put it right before so in her cage she goes in a corner and stay there if i put her in front of ther nest she will go in and dont come out if i take here out of cage and leave her on floor she will go in a corner and stay there i dont see samples of MBD like the himalayan...i dont know if she behave like that cuz she is in an new place,cage, in pet shop she was with one male caucasian months now..and they was cudle all day..i dont know if she is pregnant.. in my country vets dont know much for squirrels so i dont have somewhere to take her to see

https://ibb.co/PZ3BVM4

Here is a picture of her

She can stay like that for hours
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What a sweet baby.
    So many things could be going on here. Scared and not adjusted to her home yet.
    Diet of course could be a big issue.
    Like chirps said, others here with that type of experience should weigh in soon.
    All I can offer is this, do you have watermelon?
    If so she may like it and it is good for keeping them hydrated, may even get her to eat again.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    What a sweet baby.
    So many things could be going on here. Scared and not adjusted to her home yet.
    Diet of course could be a big issue.
    Like chirps said, others here with that type of experience should weigh in soon.
    All I can offer is this, do you have watermelon?
    If so she may like it and it is good for keeping them hydrated, may even get her to eat again.
    I have tried grapes that my himalayan goes nuts to but she doesnt even flick in the smell of it...

If I understand, you do not believe she is showing signs of MBD and this is something else?

Do you know what her diet was while she was in the pet shop? And if she drank water from a dish or bottle?

Hopefully she is still adjusting to being taken aware from her companion and placed in new surroundings. I'd suggest you keep her in a warm, dark and quiet space while she is adjusting to all the huge changes in her life recently. I have to do this (warm, dark and quiet) with wild squirrels I am treating for injury... they do not do well in bright, loud and busy areas (won't eat, won't drink etc.). It usually takes several days for them to get even a little comfortable... but I find them sneaking food when they think they can do so unnoticed.

Trying watermelon is a good suggestion to help her remain hydrated and I would offer avocado and sugar snap peas.... even fresh corn (temporarily) to see if she will eat those items.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Clare (09-27-2020), Rock Monkey (09-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    If I understand, you do not believe she is showing signs of MBD and this is something else?

Do you know what her diet was while she was in the pet shop? And if she drank water from a dish or bottle?

Hopefully she is still adjusting to being taken aware from her companion and placed in new surroundings. I'd suggest you keep her in a warm, dark and quiet space while she is adjusting to all the huge changes in her life recently. I have to do this (warm, dark and quiet) with wild squirrels I am treating for injury... they do not do well in bright, loud and busy areas (won't eat, won't drink etc.). It usually takes several days for them to get even a little comfortable... but I find them sneaking food when they think they can do so unnoticed.

Trying watermelon is a good suggestion to help her remain hydrated and I would offer avocado and sugar snap peas.... even fresh corn (temporarily) to see if she will eat those items.

I dont know for her diet but they have a bowl there with water and most of time fruits like apple and orange with a bowl of seeds i have put her a bowl and a bottle with water for her to choose plus yes i dont see MBD syptoms she can walk and run fine in floor and dont get stuck in clothes and etc but she just goea to a corner and stay there doing nothing

Hi, I saw that member Spanky is helping you. Spanky is an excellent squirrel rehabber and I would follow his advice. I will alert another rehabber who will check your thread as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsTubeDriver View Post
    Hi, I saw that member Spanky is helping you. Spanky is an excellent squirrel rehabber and I would follow his advice. I will alert another rehabber who will check your thread as well.
    Thank you very much if i have news i will post..if someone have any other suggest from their expirience i will be glad to hear him the problem is that i am working and cant watch her full time to see if she will eat or drink �� like right now i am ta work and try to find solution

Poor little thing. Getting adjusted to an entirely new environment is always very difficult for them. I agree with keeping her in a dark, quiet and warm place for a few days - maybe 30 minutes, then 1 hour then gradually more time uncovered each day as you offer her some food she is already familiar with. Make sure she has water available at all times. If she's not used to a water bottle, p lace a shallow dish of water in her cage near a spot she often goes to.

Crazy question maybe - but since I can't tell from a picture only - are you sure she does see? Does she have any reaction to selling your hand through the bars of her cage?

I would also get her familiar with the sound of your voice by going over and talking to her gently, even while covere. Get her used to the smell of your hands, placing your hand near the bars and offering her a little treat through the bars... just dropping it there even if she doesn't pick it up from your hand.

Start with little things to get uher used to you and her surroundings... the soft sound of your voice can become a powerful lure over time.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Clare (09-27-2020), Rock Monkey (09-20-2020), TubeDriver (09-21-2020)

Napped, I think your girl is dealing with several problems. As others mentioned, I think stress over a new home and anxiety over losing her companion is just one of the problems. Squirrels can exhibit extreme reactions to stress and have actually been known to die from stress. I would put a blanket over the top of her cage. Leave the front open. This will make her feel more secure and less exposed. It will help her settle a little. She needs a box on the cage so that she can hide away until her stress lessens. You can purchase a small bird nest box or even a small cardboard box with a door cut into it will work. It should have soft fleece or T-shirt material inside so she can burrow under it. Don’t use a towel as they can get entrapped with the loops on the towel. The standing in the corner motionless is certainly related to stress and anxiety.

Another issue is without a doubt calcium deficiency. We see squirrels that are sold in pet stores around the world occasionally. Pet stores can’t sell tree squirrels in the US. Many were raised on a “formula” that isn’t even dairy based. They are extremely calcium deficient or totally lacking in calcium. Just because she doesn’t show the symptoms of MBD doesn’t mean she doesn’t have it. With the diet you mention... fruit and seeds... I would assume that she does have calcium deficiency and start calcium supplements. If she is pregnant it is even more critical that she receives calcium. I’m not sure what is available in your country as far a calcium supplements. Most calcium supplements have Vitamin D. Squirrels do need some Vitamin D but the problem is that Vitamin D in large amounts is toxic to squirrels. You can buy calcium carbonate powder on Amazon. I will get a link to the MBD treatment. Because she isn’t showing symptoms, I would give her dosing based on a small squirrel which is half the dose of an adult squirrel. The easiest way to dose calcium is on a cube of avocado. If she refuses the avocado you will have to syringe feed her the doses. Be careful.... she will bite you very hard. Another method is peanut butter balls. I think reducing her stress will make her more willing to eat. Cover the cage except the front.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

I would minimize her environmental stress like noise. It will take time to win her over. Even going slow, she will be afraid for a long time. In her DNA she is a wild animal and she is a captive so her instincts are fear. You probably can win her affection with time but she probably won’t be a cuddly pet like a dog. You will have to accept her on her terms.

Thank you for rescuing her from the pet store. She had little chance of survival there.

19. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Clare (09-27-2020), Mialouise (09-20-2020), Rock Monkey (09-20-2020), Scooterzmom (09-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    Poor little thing. Getting adjusted to an entirely new environment is always very difficult for them. I agree with keeping her in a dark, quiet and warm place for a few days - maybe 30 minutes, then 1 hour then gradually more time uncovered each day as you offer her some food she is already familiar with. Make sure she has water available at all times. If she's not used to a water bottle, p lace a shallow dish of water in her cage near a spot she often goes to.

Crazy question maybe - but since I can't tell from a picture only - are you sure she does see? Does she have any reaction to selling your hand through the bars of her cage?

I would also get her familiar with the sound of your voice by going over and talking to her gently, even while covere. Get her used to the smell of your hands, placing your hand near the bars and offering her a little treat through the bars... just dropping it there even if she doesn't pick it up from your hand.

Start with little things to get uher used to you and her surroundings... the soft sound of your voice can become a powerful lure over time.
    I cant tell ether if she i blind or something i have put her both dish and bottle to be sure if she want to drink she will drink from one or the other..her behavior is far the oposite from the himalayan and that confuse me

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Napped, I think your girl is dealing with several problems. As others mentioned, I think stress over a new home and anxiety over losing her companion is just one of the problems. Squirrels can exhibit extreme reactions to stress and have actually been known to die from stress. I would put a blanket over the top of her cage. Leave the front open. This will make her feel more secure and less exposed. It will help her settle a little. She needs a box on the cage so that she can hide away until her stress lessens. You can purchase a small bird nest box or even a small cardboard box with a door cut into it will work. It should have soft fleece or T-shirt material inside so she can burrow under it. Don’t use a towel as they can get entrapped with the loops on the towel. The standing in the corner motionless is certainly related to stress and anxiety.

Another issue is without a doubt calcium deficiency. We see squirrels that are sold in pet stores around the world occasionally. Pet stores can’t sell tree squirrels in the US. Many were raised on a “formula” that isn’t even dairy based. They are extremely calcium deficient or totally lacking in calcium. Just because she doesn’t show the symptoms of MBD doesn’t mean she doesn’t have it. With the diet you mention... fruit and seeds... I would assume that she does have calcium deficiency and start calcium supplements. If she is pregnant it is even more critical that she receives calcium. I’m not sure what is available in your country as far a calcium supplements. Most calcium supplements have Vitamin D. Squirrels do need some Vitamin D but the problem is that Vitamin D in large amounts is toxic to squirrels. You can buy calcium carbonate powder on Amazon. I will get a link to the MBD treatment. Because she isn’t showing symptoms, I would give her dosing based on a small squirrel which is half the dose of an adult squirrel. The easiest way to dose calcium is on a cube of avocado. If she refuses the avocado you will have to syringe feed her the doses. Be careful.... she will bite you very hard. Another method is peanut butter balls. I think reducing her stress will make her more willing to eat. Cover the cage except the front.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

I would minimize her environmental stress like noise. It will take time to win her over. Even going slow, she will be afraid for a long time. In her DNA she is a wild animal and she is a captive so her instincts are fear. You probably can win her affection with time but she probably won’t be a cuddly pet like a dog. You will have to accept her on her terms.

Thank you for rescuing her from the pet store. She had little chance of survival there.
    Thank you very much for yor advises.. if you see in the photo in the back its her nest box i have put cottom in is there a problem with cottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Napped View Post
    Thank you very much for yor advises.. if you see in the photo in the back its her nest box i have put cottom in is there a problem with cottom?
    Sometimes cotton can cause issues with the fibers getting wrapped around a limp but that’s usually babies. For now, the cotton is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Sometimes cotton can cause issues with the fibers getting wrapped around a limp but that’s usually babies. For now, the cotton is fine.
    Ok so i cover the cage and leave 1/2 of the front side put her both bowl and bottle of water and a mix of defferent nuts almongs peanuts seeds dehydrated fruits i will leave her for today to see if she will calm at least a bit..i only want her not to get sick or die and its not about the money i spent for here i rly love squirrels..if you see above i have a himalayan striped male i bought a female for him to make a couple and in the 20th day she just pass out in the night...woke up in the morning and found her in the nest not having any injury from tha male.. never saw something worry she was full of energy and curiosity but all of suden...so i dont want to lose her too ..i expect anither female himalayan from the pet shop i got here cuz was differnt from the male one.i called them and tell them what happend and they told me they would replace her with no charge and i waitng her in the end of september.

Everyone has given you very good suggestions.

I would spend time with her talking with calmly and from the heart. She will be able to hear what you are feeling. Start talking to her before you get anywhere close to her cage.

If I was going to make a sound that would startle her I would mimic that sound first, so she will learn the sound is coming next and hopefully not be startled. It will take time for her to get to know you and trust you.

You must be relaxed in order for her to be relaxed, even if she startles. A squirrel monitors the emotions and behavior of the creatures around them and uses that in part to decide if you are a predator.

Most fruit has a very high water content so if she will eat fruit she is getting water. For example an apple is 85% water.

You might Google "The diet of a Caucasian squirrel" because they may have some special preferences.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast