Thread: Two Moms Dead

Default Two Moms Dead

I live in NYC and have been feeding numerous squirrels in my backyard. I had really become attached to two females who I know had babies late July/early August. I don’t know where their nests are, I assume somewhere in the front of the house, on a busy street with lots of trees.
    Within days of each other they were hit by cars and died.
    I guess my question is will their babies have any chance of survival?

Default Re: Two Moms Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Maria C View Post
    I live in NYC and have been feeding numerous squirrels in my backyard. I had really become attached to two females who I know had babies late July/early August. I don’t know where their nests are, I assume somewhere in the front of the house, on a busy street with lots of trees.
    Within days of each other they were hit by cars and died.
    I guess my question is will their babies have any chance of survival?
    Sorry to hear that. It depends on the age. They might be able to survive if they are older babies. Your help providing food and water would also help.
    If they are too young they will venture out of the nest when they get desperate. They often fall. I would be watchful and listen carefully. They have a high pitched cry similar to a bird. YouTube has video of baby squirrel cries. You might be called upon to rescue them and get them to a rehabber.

If the babies can be put in the hands of somebody that can take care of them, they can definitely survive.

The odds of them getting out of the nest successfully increase if the babies have their eyes open. Given the timeline you suggest they should have eyes open. 7 weeks old approx. The chances of them surviving on their own at this age is small.

So listen for their crying and look for little squirrels wobbling about.

Thank you and I will definitely be on the lookout and keep listening. I feel as if I owe it to the both moms who have given me joy since spring.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Maria C:

Chirps (09-20-2020), HRT4SQRLS (09-19-2020)

Thank you and I will definitely be on the lookout and keep listening. I feel as if I owe it to the both moms who have given me joy since spring.

If you know which trees the nest are in I would suggest piling up some leaves at the base of the tree(s) in case they fall out when they go looking for food. Many baby squirrels get badly injured when they try to climb about in the tree. The leaves will make a good cushion, always much better than hitting pavement.