Thread: Found squirrel with possibly two broken legs

Exclamation Found squirrel with possibly two broken legs

I found a grey squirrel dragging himself slowly and sadly on the sidewalk tonight. Looks like both his back legs are possibly broken and one of his front legs might be messed up too. He seemed to be in shock, not blinking, breathing heavy. I couldn't just pass him by so I came back with a towel in a box and took him home.

The wildlife rehab center here in Richmond isn't taking any more animals but I will try to take him to a vet tomorrow. In the meantime, is there anything I can do? I tried to give him water from a dropper but I'm not sure he really got much. I left a little cap with water in the box with him and have him in the dark quiet bathroom. I left a few pieces of softened dog kibble in there too (maybe not the best but I didn't know what else to do). If he even makes it through the night, I am doubtful a vet will help him, but I will try to care for him as long as I can if y'all have any tips.

Thanks!

Default Re: Found squirrel with possibly two broken legs

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Here is a link to baby squirrel care. Some of the same principles apply. Warm. You can try offering the hydration fluid. Be very careful. They bite really hard. You have already done the most compassionate thing by taking this poor guy home. He is safe from predators. Let us know if he survives and if the vet worked out.

It warms my heart that compassionate people still exist. Thank you.

How old is he?

Can you post a picture?

If it is a young squirrel, a water bottle, if you have it, will be better than a dish of water. They don't really seem to know how to drink when they are young, they cough and sputter. Try just to put a shallow layer of water.

There are a whole bunch of simple foods that you can get at the grocery store that you can feed him. Avoid processed foods.

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

Lots of choices on the above list. The "Do Not Feed" are as important as the squirrel appropriate items.