Thread: Paralyzed squirrel stopped eating and drinking

Default Paralyzed squirrel stopped eating and drinking

An outdoor cat in my neighborhood attacked an adolescent/adult (I'd guess around 12-14 weeks?) fox squirrel on Monday. By the time I could intervene, the squirrel had been paralyzed.

I tried calling around to rehabbers, but they said their course of action would be to put him down. He didn't seem injured otherwise, and I wanted to give him a chance, so I've been feeding him and keeping him in an old rabbit cage with shavings and some small kitchen towels he spends most of his time under.

The first couple of days I had to manually feed him watered down baby food through a syringe; he seemed in shock and didn't want to eat or drink, but he swallowed what I put in his mouth.

Then on day three he "woke up" and seemed to be getting better. He was moving around on his own, still paralyzed but "standing" on his front legs and about to maneuver himself around to self-feed from a food dish. Fed him rabbit food mixed with trail mix, and fresh veggies and fruit. He mostly ate the fruit and nuts. He actually had a good appetite.

Yesterday, he was still moving around and looking bright-eyed and bushy-trailed, but he ate much less than on Wednesday. Today, he hasn't eaten anything at all. Even when I tried to manually give him more baby food, he wouldn't have any of it. Pooped and peed this morning, and still exhibits some energy by moving around when I lift up the towel to check up on him, but I fear it won't last.

Is there anything I can do to help him? I don't know what happened or where I went wrong or how to fix it. Should I just surrender him to be put down instead of slowly wasting away? I don't want him to suffer. Please help.

Default Re: Paralyzed squirrel stopped eating and drinking

He is still alive this morning, but now very listless. His food is still untouched from last night.

Nevermind about the listlessness, I tried feeding him some more baby food in a syringe and he freaked out. Started climbing up the sides of the cage, then went into his hidey-hole and started growling and chirping at me. He's pretty fast and feisty, should I release him now? Can squirrels survive outside paralyzed with just their front feet? Is that his best chance, if he won't eat or drink in captivity?

Don't feed any more rabbit mix, squirrels do not tolerate "grasses" that are typically in rabbit food very well. You can stick to veggies and fruit.

Try placing a little molasses, honey or syrup (in order of preference) into his mouth and on his gums. It will absorb through mucous membranes if he cannot swallow it. He may be hypoglycemic and the sugar may bring him out of that shock.

I would hydrate him as much as possible using this formula:
    Homemade Rehydration fluid:

• 1 cup warm water
    • 1 tablespoon honey, molasses, syrup, or sugar
    • 1 pinch salt

Stop after 24 hours.

If you can get Esbilac Puppy Formula (the powder, not liquid) that would be the best nourishment to provide. Formula should not be given until and unless he is hydrated and not at the same time as hydration.

He will also need to be treated with antibiotics quickly... cats carry bacteria that will kill him within days. Ask around to family friends and neighbors. Post what you have or find and we will advise if it will treat the cat bite and help with dosing.

Finally... steroids... Prednisone is his best chance to recover from the paralysis. This should also be started sooner rather than later but I would prefer to you get the antibiotics started first.

He will eat when he is ready.

The cat bite will KILL him if not treated with antibiotics. Even a small undetectable scratch can be lethal.

And a 7 - 10 day course of treatment may well "fix" his paralysis.

No, he will not survive if released... he will die a cruel and painful death.

Thanks so much for your advice, Spanky. I couldn't give him rehydration solution, he bit me when I tried to pick him up (thankfully I was wearing garden gloves), so I left it in another bowl next to his food (there is also a full water bottle attached to his cage that I don't think he's ever used). I'll go to the store and pick up some formula now.

I have three pills of amoxicillin, 250mg. How much should I give the squirrel, and how do I administer it if he's skittish? Should I just crush it up and put it in the formula when I get it?

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

Here is a good list of foods that you can get at the grocery store.

Can you post a picture?

The older the squirrel, the more wary they will be of humans. Try to be as relaxed as possible since if you are anxious he will be anxious.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
    I have three pills of amoxicillin, 250mg. How much should I give the squirrel, and how do I administer it if he's skittish? Should I just crush it up and put it in the formula when I get it?

I'll write this up and send to you, but if you are out getting the formula etc. stop by the (a) pharmacy and ask for a 1m syringe (no needles)... tell them you are feeding a neonate kitten (everyone loves kittens and it simply makes everything easier than having to explain or running into a reluctant RPh or Tech).

Edit: Also, Amoxil is not the best for cat bites (but better than nothing I hope)... if you can locate some Cipro, Augmentin or Clindamycin (human) or Baytril or Clavamox (animal forms) it would be much better. Though clindamycin would is tough to give because it tastes so bad).

Here's the best picture I could get of him, he won't leave his hidey hole and seems especially stressed and defensive now after trying to pick him up. Should I leave the formula in another bowl? I've also left him some fig, banana, broccoli, and almonds.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
    Here's the best picture I could get of him, he won't leave his hidey hole and seems especially stressed and defensive now after trying to pick him up. Should I leave the formula in another bowl? I've also left him some fig, banana, broccoli, and almonds.

He probably will not use the water bottle right way.. learning curve. Shallow dish of 3water would work well. Also a shallow dish of the formula to see if he will drink that.... remove the formula after 45 minutes or so.

Keep him in a warm, dark and quiet space... so more like in an unused bedroom or utility closet versus the living room or kitchen. If he is in a cage or bin, you can place a blanket over it to make him feel even more secure.

Alright, I PM'd you the dosing for the amoxicillin.

I would suggest not putting in the formula... If you can drill / make a small hole in one of the almonds and put the amoxil in that hole and put it in with him (remove all the other food). Best to soak the almond for a while and then remove the paper like "skin". Squirrels will often peel the skin off the almond and if the meds are on the paper like skin, they scrap that off too (or maybe that is just my wilds that are spoiled?!!?).

I've been keeping him in my bedroom, but I stay out of it most of the day for work. He has a beach towel over most of the cage that faces into the room, but I put him near an east-facing window so he gets some morning sun and can see outside so he doesn't get depressed. Should I cover the whole cage entirely? Will he get enough air circulation?

It sounds like he is doing better.

Just remember a squirrel's number one job is not to get eaten. So anything strange is regarded as a potential threat. He is going to regard you as something strange given his age. It will take time for him to trust you. It will likely be earned slowly.

Try some carbs like butternut squash or sweet potato. Most grey squirrels love avocado. If he isn't interested in formula he might be interested in plain, whole milk Greek yogurt.

It is important that the water dish just have a shallow layer of water. This will reduce the chance that he will cough and sputter and possible inhale water into his lungs, which would be bad.

Spend time just talking with him. The more calm and relaxed the more calm and relaxed he will be.