Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Injured baby squirrel- need rehabber in NE Ohio

Default Re: Injured baby squirrel- need rehabber in NE Ohio

Thank you. This is the recipe I am using. He took 2ccs of the rehydration fluid from me. It’s a start.

He just took 2 more ccs of hydration. When I changed his blanket I noticed his poo is now a yucky mucus and smells awful. I am wondering, he is super small for his age, maybe he has been battling some sort of parasite or something and that is why he doesn’t feel well and won’t eat. How would I know if he has something going on in his GI system and how would I treat? I am hoping whatever the treatment it is something I can get OTC right away!

How can you tell the difference between Coccidia and Giardia? I am wondering if my baby might have one of these. He was really underweight even when I first got him before the diarrhea really started. I think I can get a hold of Panacur if it is Giardia but not sure about treatment for Coccidia. Can anyone help?Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by newtosquirrels View Post
    How can you tell the difference between Coccidia and Giardia? I am wondering if my baby might have one of these. He was really underweight even when I first got him before the diarrhea really started. I think I can get a hold of Panacur if it is Giardia but not sure about treatment for Coccidia. Can anyone help?Thank you so much!
    I have never had to deal with Giardia personally, but it is usually greenish in color and has a horrendously awful odor from what I have read. Possible treatments are "-azole" medications including albendazole (can be bought OTC, "pinworm" treatment), Metroniazaole and Panacur (fenbenzazole)

Coccidia is treated with sulfonamides including Bactrim (SMS/TMZ), Albon and Baycox.

Posting a picture of the poo will help us help you determine if this might be one or the other....
    Last edited by Spanky; 09-21-2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: odor order...

This is what her poo looked like this morning. It’s more of a yellow and brown color. It smells, but it’s not that awful. Name:  9161FE90-12E2-429B-A8F2-6866FC2D620E.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  82.7 KBName:  FEB57AFF-4D89-47C4-A464-AA64B6B6D9B5.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  71.3 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12