Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injured baby squirrel- need rehabber in NE Ohio

Default Injured baby squirrel- need rehabber in NE Ohio

A friend of mine contacted me last night about a baby squirrel that her son found in their yard. They kept it overnight and tried to reunite with mom today. Unfortunately they thought it was a successful reunion but then later found the baby again and it appears it may have fallen from the nest? I don’t know all of the details, but I offered to help because I have helped baby squirrels in the past. When I went to pick up the baby, I noticed that it had blood and some foam in its nose and mouth. 😔 It was also really cold. I have it in a box with fleece blankets and have a heating pad under half of the box. It has definitely perked up a bit now that it is warm, but I am really concerned about the blood. I am also hearing a clicking sound intermittently. I’m not sure what is wrong with the little guy but I need help! Is there someone in the Northeast Ohio area that can help me save this baby? I already tried Sippo Lake rehab center but they never called me back! (I posted this by accident in the introduce yourself forum if you happen to see a duplicate message.)

Default Re: Injured baby squirrel- need rehabber in NE Ohio

Keep him warm as you are doing. Let him snuggle on you if you can. They are used to be being in constant contact with Mom and siblings. Try to keep him somewhat upright in case there is fluid in the lungs.

Can you post a picture? That helps forum members diagnose health condition and age.

Name:  1D19E5E0-06AB-448C-9AB7-4FACCD8FB360.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  76.7 KB

HRT4SQRLS estimated my baby at 7 weeks old, but first day I had this little guy he weighed only 88 grams. Isn’t that really small for that age?? He is now up to 92 grams but is now refusing to eat. When I got him I know he had some sort of nose/mouth injury because he had blood coming from his nose and mouth. It appears his front two teeth may be broken off. He makes a really strange sound in his mouth almost as if he is chewing something but there is nothing there. Maybe like he is trying to swallow saliva or some sort of fluid? I am really worried about him. He is so tiny and now that he is refusing to eat I am not sure what to do for him. Any advice please? I haven’t been able to find any rehabbers in this area that will call me back.

Put the baby up to your ear like a telephone. Listen to the chest for a clicking sound. Do you hear even a faint click? Is it constant? Let us know if you hear this. It would be a symptom of aspiration pneumonia. Just to be safe, do you have any antibiotics? A single pill is enough. Human or veterinary antibiotics are fine.

What are you feeding the baby? What type of syringe, dropper, bottle, etc are you using?

88g does seem small for a northern baby squirrel. It depends on how long the baby was without mom. I based the age on the appearance and fur on the tail. At 6 weeks the tail is still pretty skinny but is beginning to fill in. I think 7 weeks is pretty close.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

frankc (09-20-2020)

I do not hear any clicking at all. I have only had him for two days. The first evening I just rehydrated with sugar water. Yesterday I started him on the FV 20/50. I use the 1cc syringes with miracle nipples from Henry’s. Because of whatever is going on in his mouth, he doesn’t eat well. He doesn’t suck the syringe, but just kind of licks and laps up the formula. It is a very slow process, but yesterday at least he was eating 3-4 cc every 3 hours. Today, he is refusing. He also started with yellow pasty diarrhea last night. It is the right color but too way too soft and pasty. I have no access to antibiotics, but I ordered Baytril from a bird website yesterday to have on hand. I am afraid by the time I get it he won’t be around. I have tried calling and left messages for several rehabbers in the area but have not heard anything back. I am afraid I am going to lose this little guy. 😔

Don’t give up. You’re probably right about the mouth issue. It will be a painfully slow process to feed the baby. Sometimes it requires a drop at the time.

Could you call friends or family? They might have a left over antibiotic? Often calling a friend/family is enough to come up with a pill. It might not be needed if you don’t hear clicking but it sure would be comforting to have in case it’s needed. They mouth wounds might be sore. This could cause the difficulty feeding.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Mialouise (09-20-2020)

Thank you for the encouragement. I have tried finding an antibiotic everywhere. I have checked with everyone I know, nothing. He is still not eating and still has diarrhea. I have no idea what to do. How long can a baby squirrel go without eating? He is already so little. I am crying holding this sweet little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by newtosquirrels View Post
    The first evening I just rehydrated with sugar water. Yesterday I started him on the FV 20/50.
    If there was a lot of sugar to water, that may have caused come loosening of stools.

I use the 1cc syringes with miracle nipples from Henry’s. Because of whatever is going on in his mouth, he doesn’t eat well. He doesn’t suck the syringe, but just kind of licks and laps up the formula. It is a very slow process, but yesterday at least he was eating 3-4 cc every 3 hours. Today, he is refusing.

Experiment with the temperature of the formula... often they like it much hotter than we would normally think they would. Less often they like it not so hot.

Thanks you for all you are doing to help him...

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Mialouise (09-20-2020)

When a squirrel's diet changes their digestive system goes through an adjustment period.

Below is document containing all you could ever want to know about squirrel poop.

Stool problems with squirrels.pdf

Just be aware that the squirrel monitors your emotions. Try your best to be calm and relaxed so he can be the same.

That relaxed state should help with feeding and healing from any injuries. The cuddling will let him know he hasn't been abandoned.

I just feel like he’s given up fighting. I am still trying to feed him every couple of hours. I just got about 3/4cc in him, but that is the most all day. Every time I unwrap him from his blanket there is some more sticky yellow diarrhea. I am just trying my best to keep him clean, calm and comfortable. He likes cuddling up in my arm. All he wants to do is sleep. Name:  158D9CC5-72F8-4213-9C81-CC1C4542AAFD.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  83.3 KB

Could the Fox Valley 20/50 be rancid? I am asking because you said you have raised squirrels in the past and were able to start him on Fox Valley right away.. but it has to be bought on-line, so it seems that you had the FV on hand but I get the sense you do not rehab squirrel regularly... bring me to wonder about the FV.

Just throwing out ideas and trying to help... does he appear to have any swelling on his head?

I don’t think it is rancid. The fox valley formula is relatively new. It has an expiration of October 31, 2021 and was an unopened bag that was stored in the freezer. I actually keep that and Henry’s blocks on hand.
    There is no swelling on the head that I can see. Just the mouth injury that he had when I got him. I am not sure the extent of that injury inside though. It does appear that his two top front teeth are broken off. He kind of makes a sneeze noise and also a weird chewing noise as if he is trying to swallow something in his mouth even though he doesn’t have anything in his mouth, unless it is saliva or drainage? Could he possibly have an infection? I have not been able to find any antibiotics. I ordered some Baytril online but won’t get it until Wednesday, which I fear may be too late.

I don’t think it is rancid. The fox valley formula is relatively new. It has an expiration of October 31, 2021 and was an unopened bag that was stored in the freezer. I actually keep that and Henry’s blocks on hand.
    There is no swelling on the head that I can see. Just the mouth injury that he had when I got him. I am not sure the extent of that injury inside though. It does appear that his two top front teeth are broken off. He kind of makes a sneeze noise and also a weird chewing noise as if he is trying to swallow something in his mouth even though he doesn’t have anything in his mouth, unless it is saliva or drainage? Could he possibly have an infection? I have not been able to find any antibiotics. I ordered some Baytril online but won’t get it until Wednesday, which I fear may be too late.
    Sounds like the FV is not the issue with his not eating or diarrhea.

Could the chewing sound you are hearing be his grinding his top and bottom teeth together? I find that treating wilds that have had teeth injuries tend to grind a lot initially... like maybe they are trying to grind down uneven or maybe fragments that catch on their tongues or cheeks.

Is there a chance he came in contact with a cat maybe... that would cause an infection this quickly.

It’s possible a cat got to it, the friend I got him from has two cats, but she seemed to think he fell from the nest. I think she would have told me if her cat had it when she found it. If he does have an infection there is nothing I can do right now, I have no antibiotic until Wednesday. Right now the two biggest issues are this little guy’s diarrhea and lack of eating. Is there anything I can give him to help with the diarrhea? I am just trying to do everything I can to help him even if he doesn’t end up making it. 😢

You can give him a drop or two of Pepto Bismol for the diarrhea... when it passes through his poop will be really dark from the Pepto, don't panic!

If he was on contact with a cat. even the smallest undetectable scratch can be lethal and he would need antibiotics. I don't suppose you have had any luck locating any antibiotics?

No, I haven’t had any luck. No one that I know has any antibiotics, not even expired ones. I don’t know what to do! I just tried feeding him again and he adamantly refuses. He turns his head away and tries to wiggle away. 😩

Varying the temperature did not result in any change?

Have you tried to offer some water and / or hydration to see if he will take that?

No, changing the temperature didn’t do anything. I have also been trying water with not much luck. This poor little guy is so skinny to begin with, there is nothing to him. I think he isn’t eating because he just isn’t feeling well, but I don’t know how long he can go without eating. I am doing my best to get anything in him, even if it is a drop at a time.

Homemade Rehydration fluid:
    1 cup warm water
    1 tablespoon honey, molasses, syrup, or sugar
    1 pinch salt

Try this recipe. A dehydrated baby will not eat. Babies usually like this recipe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast