Thread: Vet in Brandon/Tampa FL Area

Default Vet in Brandon/Tampa FL Area

I live in Valrico Florida and am looking for a Vet in the local area. Inky is 7 1/2 years old (Eastern Gray Squirrel) and has been having some health issues. She has been seeing Dr. E who is wonderful and has taken such great care of her. I plan to still see her when possible, but I am 2 1/2 hours from Port Orange and in an emergency will need a local vet. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Default Re: Vet in Brandon/Tampa FL Area

Hi Inky, I remember you. I live in Lithia. I have used Care Animal Hospital on Bloomingdale for squirrels. The vet I used appears to have left the practice but I do see that 2 of the vets do list exotics in their Bio. One even mentions wildlife. I do know they are safe and don’t require you to have a license. I can’t vouch for their expertise with squirrels but the vet I used was very proficient doing a minor surgical procedure involving anaesthesia. (Massive bot fly removal). For simple things I’m sure they are fine. For anything involving teeth I would still use DrE.

There is another vet in Largo that is excellent. I know of some of the extreme surgery she had done on a squirrel. She rebuilt the urethra/penis on a squirrel with a massive abdominal abscess. She basically corrected the surgery that another vet had done. It was a train wreck. I was extremely impressed with her skill. Her name is Dr. Nicole Zellner at Avian and Exotic in Largo. She refers out teeth issues to DrE but other than that, she is very proficient with squirrels. I know that’s a little far but not as far as DrE.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Mel1959 (09-18-2020)

Default Re: Vet in Brandon/Tampa FL Area

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Hi Inky, I remember you. I live in Lithia. I have used Care Animal Hospital on Bloomingdale for squirrels. The vet I used appears to have left the practice but I do see that 2 of the vets do list exotics in their Bio. One even mentions wildlife. I do know they are safe and don’t require you to have a license. I can’t vouch for their expertise with squirrels but the vet I used was very proficient doing a minor surgical procedure involving anaesthesia. (Massive bot fly removal). For simple things I’m sure they are fine. For anything involving teeth I would still use DrE.

There is another vet in Largo that is excellent. I know of some of the extreme surgery she had done on a squirrel. She rebuilt the urethra/penis on a squirrel with a massive abdominal abscess. She basically corrected the surgery that another vet had done. It was a train wreck. I was extremely impressed with her skill. Her name is Dr. Nicole Zellner at Avian and Exotic in Largo. She refers out teeth issues to DrE but other than that, she is very proficient with squirrels. I know that’s a little far but not as far as DrE.
    Thank you for the info. Appreciate you responding so quickly.