Thread: Baby w belly that is wet all the time

Default Baby w belly that is wet all the time

My son found a very dehydrated baby on Monday at his baseball practice. We searched for mom for hours. We brought the baby home and started on Pedialyte. After it seemed to be doing well I gave it formula. I was told by someone else that kitten formula would be ok. I have since found out it is not. I did order FV formula and bought Esbilac until it comes. I was also told the wrong amount. I believe we have been over feeding this poor little one the wrong stuff.

I don’t know if the baby has such watery diarrhea or is peeing so frequently that it’s belly seems to always be wet. He does seem to drag his butt from time to time too.

We stopped the formula for now and started Pedialyte for a few feedings. Bathed him and changed bedding to try and keep an eye on changes w the right stuff and amounts.

His eyes just started to open today. I am guessing the age is about 5 weeks.

Any advice would be helpful. Could this be from the wrong food? Could it be a UTI?

Default Re: Baby w belly that is wet all the time

What is the expiration date on the Esbilac? Is it the powdered formula? The loose stool can definitely be from the wrong formula.

Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

Here is a link to baby squirrel care.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

It’s difficult to tell what the problem is with the wet belly. There might be nothing wrong at all. I have had a few babies that just seem to wet themselves often. Some are perfectly dry and others are soaked. Change the bedding often and keep the baby clean. Another way to help keep the bedding clean is to stimulate the baby to pee after feeding. You can use a tissue or paper towel. It will help to keep the bin clean. Mama squirrels stimulate the babies to pee and poop. It’s usually not necessary for 5 week old babies but if it keeps them dry, it can be helpful.

I just bought the Esbilac today to replace the kitten formula originally recommended. I feel like that was the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

Here is a link to baby squirrel care.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

It’s difficult to tell what the problem is with the wet belly. There might be nothing wrong at all. I have had a few babies that just seem to wet themselves often. Some are perfectly dry and others are soaked. Change the bedding often and keep the baby clean. Another way to help keep the bedding clean is to stimulate the baby to pee after feeding. You can use a tissue or paper towel. It will help to keep the bin clean. Mama squirrels stimulate the babies to pee and poop. It’s usually not necessary for 5 week old babies but if it keeps them dry, it can be helpful.
    I have been stimulating after feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Swagner1331 View Post
    I just bought the Esbilac today to replace the kitten formula originally recommended. I feel like that was the issue.
    I asked about the expiration date not because I thought it was old. Last fall a problem developed with the powdered Esbilac formula. The manufacturer changed the calcium source they were using and it resulted in babies having many fatal issues. If the expiration is 10/21 or later, then your formula should be good.

Today my baby seems to not be doing well. Seems slower and not as energetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I asked about the expiration date not because I thought it was old. Last fall a problem developed with the powdered Esbilac formula. The manufacturer changed the calcium source they were using and it resulted in babies having many fatal issues. If the expiration is 10/21 or later, then your formula should be good.
    The exp is 7/22. I am having trouble getting the little one to even eat anything. Pedialyte is the only thing he has accepted since yesterday.

Stop the pedialyte. It’s to be used for no more than 24 hrs. If you need hydration switch to water with a little sugar or honey for taste.

Hold your baby up to your ear like a phone. Do you hear any clicking with each breath? Aspiration Pneumonia can take them down quickly. It causes a loss of a petite and lethargy.

By now I would think the KMR has been flushed out of his system. Sometimes it takes a little while for them to like the taste of a changed formula. Is his belly hard? If his belly is hard you can give him a couple of drops of infant gas X.

Do you have a gram scale to weigh him on. We recommend feeding 5-7% of their weight, so you need to know what he weighs to feed him the appropriate amount. Gram scales can be purchased at Walmart, bed bath and beyond, Target. They’re about $20 and located in the kitchen section.

Edit: I just read your previous post. Your baby sounds like it has AP. You will need antibiotics. A weight is also needed for medication dosing. Look through your medicine cabinet and call family and friends for antibiotics. List the antibiotics you have here as well as the strength and someone will be able to dose it for you.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Rock Monkey (09-18-2020)

The only antibiotic I have is amoxicillin. I have the 500 mg capsules. There are no clicking sounds when he breathes. I am going to pick up a scale in my way to work.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Swagner1331 from:

Mel1959 (09-18-2020)

Is it possible he needs nourishment, after having only Pedialyte for a day or so? I will agree that some babies are just wet all the time; I have two right now. From the waste down, soaking wet although they are fat, healthy babies.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Stop the pedialyte. It’s to be used for no more than 24 hrs. If you need hydration switch to water with a little sugar or honey for taste.

Hold your baby up to your ear like a phone. Do you hear any clicking with each breath? Aspiration Pneumonia can take them down quickly. It causes a loss of a petite and lethargy.

By now I would think the KMR has been flushed out of his system. Sometimes it takes a little while for them to like the taste of a changed formula. Is his belly hard? If his belly is hard you can give him a couple of drops of infant gas X.

Do you have a gram scale to weigh him on. We recommend feeding 5-7% of their weight, so you need to know what he weighs to feed him the appropriate amount. Gram scales can be purchased at Walmart, bed bath and beyond, Target. They’re about $20 and located in the kitchen section.

Edit: I just read your previous post. Your baby sounds like it has AP. You will need antibiotics. A weight is also needed for medication dosing. Look through your medicine cabinet and call family and friends for antibiotics. List the antibiotics you have here as well as the strength and someone will be able to dose it for you.

The baby weights about 1.7 oz

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Is it possible he needs nourishment, after having only Pedialyte for a day or so? I will agree that some babies are just wet all the time; I have two right now. From the waste down, soaking wet although they are fat, healthy babies.
    I guess it is possible. I am new to al of this so was very unsure about the wetness. I’m trying to feed the little one through tour the day. I don’t know if he is just not taking well to the new formula or not. I will keep updating throughout the day.