Thread: Bent Tail?

Question Bent Tail?

So our little guy is finally crawling on the floor and letting his tail down, but I noticed something seems a bit “off” with it. It’s not kinked, and he’s not chewing it and he’s able to move it but it looks crooked or bent a little. Is this normal? I feel bad for just now realizing, but I’m usually playing with him while he runs everywhere like a crackhead so I can’t really see his tail flat on a surface for long!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Bent Tail?

Update: I’ve been furiously scrolling through photos I’ve documented of him and it seems to have been broken 😭 around the time I went to the store to get him more food on Monday (I’ve never left him for a longer than an hour or so before besides nighttime or unless he wanted sleep). I’m extremely sad to find out that this happened the one time I left the house since I’ve had him, I even moved my office to do most of my work with him around. Anything I can do to help him?

I don’t think it will impact him at all. Squirrels tails go through a lot of mishaps and most times they do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrellyQ View Post
    Update: I’ve been furiously scrolling through photos I’ve documented of him and it seems to have been broken 😭 around the time I went to the store to get him more food on Monday (I’ve never left him for a longer than an hour or so before besides nighttime or unless he wanted sleep). I’m extremely sad to find out that this happened the one time I left the house since I’ve had him, I even moved my office to do most of my work with him around. Anything I can do to help him?
    I relooked are the pictures, and found one at a later date still curled. Sorry, today has been a mess, it turns out it has just happened when I noticed it today. 🥺😭 I’m not sure how this happened and I’m not sure how to fix it (if I can). Is there a way to make a makeshift splint?

If he can still move the tail, the nerves are still intact. If the nerves are severed or damaged they will drag the tail. That can be a problem when released. I prefer an amputated, short tail for a release over a dragging tail. I released a girl with a 3 inch tail and she was fine. Cutest thing you ever saw.

Can you manipulate the tail or is it fixed at that angle? If you can manipulate it straight, you could probably wrap it with vet wrap. I see you are in FL. There are vets in FL that will see a squirrel if that’s something you would be interested in. It’s not life threatening but if it bothers you a vet might be able to manipulate it back into place and maintain viability. If the tail becomes non-viable it will die and eventually fall off or be chewed off at the break.

One thing to consider. Sometimes it’s best to do nothing. Wrapping the tail might draw attention to the problem and cause the squirrel to go after the tail when they would have ignored it.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Rock Monkey (09-18-2020), SquirrellyQ (09-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    If he can still move the tail, the nerves are still intact. If the nerves are severed or damaged they will drag the tail. That can be a problem when released. I prefer an amputated, short tail for a release over a dragging tail. I released a girl with a 3 inch tail and she was fine. Cutest thing you ever saw.

Can you manipulate the tail or is it fixed at that angle? If you can manipulate it straight, you could probably wrap it with vet wrap. I see you are in FL. There are vets in FL that will see a squirrel if that’s something you would be interested in. It’s not life threatening but if it bothers you a vet might be able to manipulate it back into place and maintain viability. If the tail becomes non-viable it will die and eventually fall off or be chewed off at the break.

One thing to consider. Sometimes it’s best to do nothing. Wrapping the tail might draw attention to the problem and cause the squirrel to go after the tail when they would have ignored it.

I’m so sorry for the delay; I’ve been spending more time with him and work & haven’t gotten on here but we did get the VetRap (he was dragging it for the first few days but it’s back to full-function)—we are just deciding now what to do—the tail moves perfectly and everything, it’s just kinked and it is a little pliable. He’s just finally starting to not be a crackhead 24/7 (he even hugs us now!) so maybe we can try helping straighten it if he lets us—if not, I’m happy it at least works perfectly and it’s not dead��

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrellyQ View Post
    I’m so sorry for the delay; I’ve been spending more time with him and work & haven’t gotten on here but we did get the VetRap (he was dragging it for the first few days but it’s back to full-function)—we are just deciding now what to do—the tail moves perfectly and everything, it’s just kinked and it is a little pliable. He’s just finally starting to not be a crackhead 24/7 (he even hugs us now!) so maybe we can try helping straighten it if he lets us—if not, I’m happy it at least works perfectly and it’s not dead��
    Glad to hear the good news.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

SquirrellyQ (09-28-2020)