Thread: Sudden Vomiting

Exclamation Sudden Vomiting

Not sure if this is an emergency, but posting here. I currently have 5 7 week old squirrels who have been doing fantastic. I raised them all from 3 hour old pinkies. Tonight while doing a feeding, one of the males ate his normal amount, and then suddenly started vomiting repeatedly. He vomited up all the formula, and then curled into a tight ball. I grabbed him and quickly checked him all over and felt his belly. Nothing felt hard or abnormal, and he did poop while I was holding him. The only things they get besides formula (20/50 FV) right now are mazuri rat blocks, a few almonds, and occasionally spring mix/veggies. I did get some fluids in him and placed him back in the incubator with the others and watched him. He's hiding under the blanket from the others. Is there anything else I can do for him right now?

Exclamation Re: Sudden Vomiting

Well, nevermind, I guess. Just woke up to check on him again, picked him up and he vomited all over me and blood came out of his nose and he collapsed. I did cpr and he's just gone. Perfectly healthy yesterday and jumping around with his siblings and now he's just dead...I'm speechless.

Default Re: Sudden Vomiting

Wow. Poor little thing. Something happened internally.

You are keeping the formula powder in the freezer until you use it, aren't you? The dry powder can and will go rancid after the bag is opened if kept at room temperature.

Nobody but you has access to them, do they?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

ILovePeanut (09-17-2020)

Just me seeing to them, and he was eating and playing completely like normal up until this. And yes the formula is kept in the freezer. I was just watching them all wrestle and have the time of their lives before he vomited last night so I'm just baffled and heartbroken. No warning...he wasn't clicking, he was eating like a champ.

Check to see if there is something that he might have been chewing on. Maybe he swallowed a sharp piece of plastic, might do it if it was coated with food or was containing something that smelled like food. They look all over their environment for sources of food and sometimes make some very dubious choices, they are just trying to be independent but can get themselves into trouble.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

ILovePeanut (09-17-2020)

Exclamation Re: Sudden Vomiting

I went through the whole incubator after he passed and didn't see anything chewed. The only thing I could think of that's hard is the mazuri blocks and the almonds...I don't know if he choked, or it was internal. I checked his airway when I was doing cpr and didn't see anything. But with all the blood that came out of his nose when he vomited I have to guess it was inside. I'm just so upset. 7 weeks of raising the little guy....and he's just gone in a freak way. Each squirrel I raise is like my kid.

I’m very sorry.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

ILovePeanut (09-17-2020)

Whats the story on how they were originally found?

It's not unusual with some babies that had dropped on their heads
    to be growing normally along but convalesce/ seizure due to orignal
    injury as the head/skull grows.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

If I remember correctly they were found after someone cut down a tree in their yard, so you could be right about the head injury. They were pretty much just born (3 hours) when I got them and still had bloody umbilical cords. I didn't see any injuries originally, besides a few fire ant bites. Do you think the others could have the same issue? I've been watching them all every chance I get since the male passed and they seem perfectly fine. But then again so did he

Quote Originally Posted by ILovePeanut View Post
    I went through the whole incubator after he passed and didn't see anything chewed. The only thing I could think of that's hard is the mazuri blocks and the almonds...I don't know if he choked, or it was internal. I checked his airway when I was doing cpr and didn't see anything. But with all the blood that came out of his nose when he vomited I have to guess it was inside. I'm just so upset. 7 weeks of raising the little guy....and he's just gone in a freak way. Each squirrel I raise is like my kid.

I'm so sorry.