Thread: 6 week old with really bad diarrhea

Default 6 week old with really bad diarrhea

Hello All,
    I just took in another little guy this evening about 6-7 weeks old. A kind soul had him for about two weeks, and was feeding him kitten milk every 4 hours, day and night, also
    had just started to give him cantaloupe. The wild life centers are not taking in any babies so hear I am again as the lady did not know what else to do. After getting this little guy home and really checking him out he is super thin for his age and has the worst diarrhea I have seen. The poop was so badly caked to his butt (orange oozing liquid) I was supersized he would poop at all. It took some time to get it all off and was literally clogging his rear end to the point that it looked like a dried up prolapsed rectum. It was not, thank goodness, but now his rectum is enlarged and the diarrhea is just pouring out. Only gave him re hydrating fluids tonight (took it with no problem) but looking for the best advice for the morning of what to give other then fluids. His energy is still up (other then being tired after me messing with cleaning him up) but I want to get the diarrhea under control fast so he can start to put on some weight. Even looking for a different formula as I have had luck with Goats milk in the past but want to start off giving him what will work and not taking a guess. I know what she was feeding him seemed like allot so that also I'm sure did not help with watery fruit too soon. I have another boy who is maybe a week older but WAY Bigger.
    Thanks guys!!!!!

Default Re: 6 week old with really bad diarrhea

Continue the hydration for up to 24 hours to flush out the KMR... that is what is causing the diarrhea, not so much the fruit (but that did not help). After 24 hours you can start formula or switch to plain water.

Once he is flush out you can use Esbilac or Fox Valley 20/50. Foax Valley Ultraboost may be a good addition if he is severely underweight and behind.

Thanks so much, the fox valley is on order so need an option until Monday/ Tuesday. Should I use the goats milk for now once I start the actual food? and I am assuming his rectum will go back to normal without the poop clogging it?
    Thanks so much for the help

You should find the attached article about squirrel stool problems helpful.

Stool problems with squirrels.pdf