Thread: Three week old squirrels not defecating

Default Three week old squirrels not defecating

Hi. I am currently in Mexico and have a classmate that found two baby squirrels. They are about three weeks old. She found them yesterday. She has been feeding them royal canin puppy formula and they still have not defecated. I am worried they may bloat. We don’t have access to many formulas in Mexico. She can probably get Esbilac with probiotics but I heard there were issues so not sure if that would help. Has anyone had success with royal canin puppy formula in three week old squirrels? She is keeping them warm and stimulating properly.

Default Re: Three week old squirrels not defecating

Hi Marie, yes Royal Canin puppy formula will work. I personally don’t have experience with it but it is a quality product. In countries outside the the US, Royal Canin is the formula that we usually recommend. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. Sometimes they can go for a day or two without defecating. Often they have been without mom for several days so it takes a while to get poop. As long as the stomach empties after feeding I wouldn’t be concerned at this point. Make sure the belly doesn’t get distended and hard. Bloat is a serious problem but the lack of poop isn’t necessarily a sign of bloat.

Here is a link for baby squirrel care. It is 6 pages long.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Thanks for responding. Is Esbilac still an issue with squirrels or would it be ok to use if she continues having problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Marie14 View Post
    Thanks for responding. Is Esbilac still an issue with squirrels or would it be ok to use if she continues having problems?

Esbilac (powder) with an expiration date of 10/2021 or later is reported to be new lots (or new product) after the calcium issue was corrected by PetAg.