Thread: help please.

Default help please.

I recently rescued a baby squirrel whose home was cut down and mommy did not return. I waited 12 hrs keeping a close watch and by that point the bby was cold and dehydrated. I immediately gave up and got her and my first goal was to warm her. I jave a plastic storage tub half way on a heating pad with fleece blankets. Then i got some puppy formula and started feeding based off of her weight. she has been thriving and doing great until last night. Btw im guessing she is about 4 weeks. She has recently started being able to pull the milk out of the syringe herself. she can't fully do it alone but one she gets a good rhythm she can. well twice she has aspirated and now my worst fears are here she has clicking noise when breathing. Ive went to several vets they refuse to see her bc she is an illegal pet and they don't know anything about her. Im going to attempt to buy baytril online but have no idea which one to get and how much to give. They have drops(for ears it says) they have injection and pills. please someone help. Im trying sooo hard and me and my kids already love her and I can't handle losing her after all the effort and time I have put in. Ive never even been around a squirrel till now and researched and researched to know what I know now not including the no sleep.

Default Re: help please.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemybabysquirrel View Post
    I recently rescued a baby squirrel whose home was cut down and mommy did not return. I waited 12 hrs keeping a close watch and by that point the bby was cold and dehydrated. I immediately gave up and got her and my first goal was to warm her. I jave a plastic storage tub half way on a heating pad with fleece blankets. Then i got some puppy formula and started feeding based off of her weight. she has been thriving and doing great until last night. Btw im guessing she is about 4 weeks. She has recently started being able to pull the milk out of the syringe herself. she can't fully do it alone but one she gets a good rhythm she can. well twice she has aspirated and now my worst fears are here she has clicking noise when breathing. Ive went to several vets they refuse to see her bc she is an illegal pet and they don't know anything about her. Im going to attempt to buy baytril online but have no idea which one to get and how much to give. They have drops(for ears it says) they have injection and pills. please someone help. Im trying sooo hard and me and my kids already love her and I can't handle losing her after all the effort and time I have put in. Ive never even been around a squirrel till now and researched and researched to know what I know now not including the no sleep.

In addition to clicking has she had a loss of appetite?

I would ask family, friends and neighbors if they have any antibiotics... you will need just 1 pill. Augmentin, Cipro or Bactrim are good for AP (animal version of augmentin is clavamox and Cipro is the human version of Baytril). But if you can find anything post what you found and someone will advise if it will work with AP.

If this is AP you will not have time to wait for Baytril to arrive in the mail.

You might try checking with the local feed stores for Baytil.

Pet stores with large fish section might carry antibiotics for fish that can be used (Fish Flox).

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Default Re: help please.

In addition, the fact that she CAN suck the formula out of the syringe doesn't mean she should be ALLOWED to. Your job changes now - before you were trying to dispense it into her mouth by pushing the end of the syringe plunger. NOW you need to wrap a finger around that plunger to PREVENT this. You are in charge, not her. Mama squirrel doesn't shoot milk out like a fire hose - those babies have to work at it.