Thread: Self Weaning & Question on the Nuts

Default Self Weaning & Question on the Nuts

Hi,

Seems like overnight, Buddy lost interest in the formula... I still try to give him as much as he takes; but it's not more than 3 cc or so...

When I found him on July 27th, he was 12 grams. He is around 220-225 grams today. it's getting harder to measure him; he doesn't stay in one place more than a sec.

So, he is almost 9 weeks. He is very active in his cage; very playful.

Question1: I guess it's normal at this age that he is loosing interest in the formula? I just got another bag of FV 20/50, but I guess we won't be using that, it seems...

Question2: I also got those fresh Hazelnuts and Peacan's from Henry's. Am I supposed to crack them open, or just give the inside, or give it as a whole like that? Buddy seems not to know what to do with the full one.

Thank you!!: Love_Icon

Default Re: Self Weaning & Question on the Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Seems like overnight, Buddy lost interest in the formula... I still try to give him as much as he takes; but it's not more than 3 cc or so...
    So, he is almost 9 weeks. He is very active in his cage; very playful.

Question1: I guess it's normal at this age that he is loosing interest in the formula? I just got another bag of FV 20/50, but I guess we won't be using that, it seems...

If he is eating his rodent block and veggies, and 9 weeks old starting to wean is normal. Continue offering formula... before breakfast, later in the evening are times when he may be more amenable to formula. You can also see if he'll drink it from a shallow dish. I stop feeding anything after dark about week before they are scheduled for the release cage... and never after dark in the release cage. They need to be in the habit of bedding down before dark and staying put.

Question2: I also got those fresh Hazelnuts and Peacan's from Henry's. Am I supposed to crack them open, or just give the inside, or give it as a whole like that? Buddy seems not to know what to do with the full one.

Give him the nuts in the shell, but only if he has a complete and healthy diet. Best way to destroy a healthy eater is providing too many nuts.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Buddy (09-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

If he is eating his rodent block and veggies, and 9 weeks old starting to wean is normal. Continue offering formula... before breakfast, later in the evening are times when he may be more amenable to formula. You can also see if he'll drink it from a shallow dish. I stop feeding anything after dark about week before they are scheduled for the release cage... and never after dark in the release cage. They need to be in the habit of bedding down before dark and staying put.

Give him the nuts in the shell, but only if he has a complete and healthy diet. Best way to destroy a healthy eater is providing too many nuts.
    Thank you for a quick response! Yes, he's been eating his Henry's blocks; I give him a few veggies (red cabbage, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, parsley, carrots); he just seems to try them a bit but doesn't seem like eating them a lot. His favorite is carrots... He tried and seemed to really liked 1 blueberry I gave him. He also likes avocado and has been eating that for almost every day for a week. I gave him half a mushroom today and he liked that too. I try give everything organic, if/when possible.

He hasn't yet figured out the water bottle. I put a bit of water this morning in a shallow cup, but he put his face and got the water in his nose and didn't like that at all. Spent 30 sec or so, trying to dry his nose.

We're keeping him over the winter, but it's a good idea to start wild life habits!

I can't believe how quickly he grew! At first, it looked like he wasn't growing fast enough... now, I can't believe how small he was only 8-9 weeks ago.

I will also give the nuts as a whole and let him figure it out.

I'll definitely keep offering formula...

Thank you again!

Thank you for a quick response! Yes, he's been eating his Henry's blocks; I give him a few veggies (red cabbage, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, parsley, carrots); he just seems to try them a bit but doesn't seem like eating them a lot. His favorite is carrots... He tried and seemed to really liked 1 blueberry I gave him. He also likes avocado and has been eating that for almost every day for a week. I gave him half a mushroom today and he liked that too. I try give everything organic, if/when possible.
    Does not seem to me his healthy diet is well established enough to introduce nuts....

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Buddy (09-19-2020)

Does not seem to me his healthy diet is well established enough to introduce nuts....
    Thank you! Today is the first day I gave that pecan with the shell and he didn't know what to do. I'll stop giving it.

What would a healthy diet look like for a 9 weeks old? Is there breakfast/lunch/dinner? Should the veggies be given later during the day (after he eats his blocks), should I remove the veggies at certain time (i.e. in the evening/after dark), and just leave the blocks?

Thank you!

Thank you! Today is the first day I gave that pecan with the shell and he didn't know what to do. I'll stop giving it.

What would a healthy diet look like for a 9 weeks old? Is there breakfast/lunch/dinner? Should the veggies be given later during the day (after he eats his blocks), should I remove the veggies at certain time (i.e. in the evening/after dark), and just leave the blocks?

Thank you!

I was trying to say he is not eating enough, and regularly, of the healthy foods. So giving nuts when he is not eating a healthy diet is like giving a toddler gummy bears even though they refuse to eat a healthy dinner.

A healthy diet for a 9 week old would be eating (not just "trying" and discarding) the vegetables you are giving along with the Henry's block and formula. I did not mean to suggest food should be removed after dark, but I am saying not to provide additional food or formula after dark as you prepare for release.

I hand out the Henry's before feeding (twice a day, morning and evening)... they get that while I prepare their "buffets".

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Buddy (09-19-2020)

I was trying to say he is not eating enough, and regularly, of the healthy foods. So giving nuts when he is not eating a healthy diet is like giving a toddler gummy bears even though they refuse to eat a healthy dinner.

A healthy diet for a 9 week old would be eating (not just "trying" and discarding) the vegetables you are giving along with the Henry's block and formula. I did not mean to suggest food should be removed after dark, but I am saying not to provide additional food or formula after dark as you prepare for release.

I hand out the Henry's before feeding (twice a day, morning and evening)... they get that while I prepare their "buffets".

Thank you! This is helpful! He is definitely eating some... just don't know how much is enough for him. I'll keep monitoring and watch his weight closely. Thanks again!