Thread: Grey squirrel losing hair and acting funny. Can I help him?

squirrely-expressions Guest

Exclamation Grey squirrel losing hair and acting funny. Can I help him?

I am giving this guy my bird food, sunflower seeds and shelled peanuts on the ground. I noticed a patchy squirrel like a week ago and now he looks pretty bad.

I saw the baby squirrels grow up around my front yard this year and I would rather not let this guy die. I think he's one of the new generation this year.

His coordination is kind of wonky, he's moving funny and his motor functions are NOT 100%. He's moving slow and awkwardly and seems like he's having issues beyond hair loss.

A quick search says maybe fungal, not seeing scabbing of mange. But that also said it's common in late winter / early spring.

And this is American Midwest, so this little dude gonna be cold in a month or two if he loses too much hair.

I am going to upload images later if I can, it says I can't upload attachments. He's lost like 30-40% of hair in the "licking/biting zone" so not on his face. Fleas maybe???

Default Re: Grey squirrel losing hairand acting funny. Can I help him?

I take that back, he's lost hair on the top of his head, between ears down to the brow.

So that's 100% an area he couldn't have bitten off out of flea-related itchiness.

Oyeee! I just saw his brother/sister drinking from my bird bath and that little one has a 3" round fur patch missing just about the base of the tail on it's back.

So something contagious anyways.

Not sure if they've been fighting as there's a lot of squirrels around and we hear fights, but I mean they ain't just ripping big areas of each others hair off I wouldn't think.

So that's it. That's all I have to report.

I am going to leave them a lot of food around the bird feeder on the ground, but I would appreciate any advice if there's something I can do.

Thanks for caring and trying to help. Any chance you can post a photo? It's hard to know what's going on without being able to see it. Then hopefully someone here can help.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mialouise from:

Rock Monkey (09-15-2020)

Yes, try to attach a picture. It will help to see it. It could be mites.

Default Re: Grey squirrel losing hair and acting funny. Can I help him?

Thank you for replying! It looks like this morning I can add attachments because they moderated my account or whatever:

Name:  squirrel-1.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  215.7 KB

Name:  squirrel-2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  194.6 KB

Name:  squirrel-3.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  197.3 KB

Yikes. That's doesn't look like fun for the squirrel. That doesn't look like the by product of a brawl.

He needs to be treated for mange. Revolution (generic selamectin) is the safest treatment if you can get it (prescription)... maybe you or a pet-owning friend will have it on hand? Revolution can be given orally... I use almonds. I drill a little hole and place a single drop of revolution in the hole. Allow to dry a few hours then feed it to the target squirrel(s). 1 ampule of revolution is enough for about half a dozen treatments.

If revolution is not an option, you can get Ivermectin at the local feed store / tractor supply. This is much more concentrated and lethal so you have to be careful about using Ivermectin. If you have to go the Ivermectin route, let us know and someone will advise the dosing...

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

HRT4SQRLS (09-15-2020), stepnstone (09-15-2020)

Thank you! I think maybe my vet will let me pick up some of that.

And I really appreciate the advice on using a drilled nut. It occurred to me that somehow trapping the squirrel to treat it would probably stress it out to the max.

I will try to post back on here!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    He needs to be treated for mange. Revolution (generic selamectin) is the safest treatment if you can get it (prescription)... maybe you or a pet-owning friend will have it on hand? Revolution can be given orally... I use almonds. I drill a little hole and place a single drop of revolution in the hole. Allow to dry a few hours then feed it to the target squirrel(s). 1 ampule of revolution is enough for about half a dozen treatments.

If revolution is not an option, you can get Ivermectin at the local feed store / tractor supply. This is much more concentrated and lethal so you have to be careful about using Ivermectin. If you have to go the Ivermectin route, let us know and someone will advise the dosing...

Yeah, he's having a really hard time... he moves very oddly and has trouble climbing and things.

I left a message for my vet so hopefully they have time to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Yikes. That's doesn't look like fun for the squirrel. That doesn't look like the by product of a brawl.

Members who have read this thread: 1