Thread: Proper Diet/Nutrition Question...

Default Proper Diet/Nutrition Question...

So while reading another member's post; similar age squirrel to Buddy... I noticed that they are giving yogurt and other extra things.

Apart from FV 20/50 + Booster and Henry's Blocks... Do I need to give other supplements?

I used to give more vegetables; but was told that he needs to eat his blocks first, so I give some kale, broccoli, avocado and sweet potatoes if he had eaten his blocks.

Buddy is now almost 8 weeks and about 175 grams

I know he is small; thus I'm giving the booster.

He seems to be healthy and active and amazing!

Default Re: Proper Diet/Nutrition Question...

You don’t NEED to give other supplements but a variety of food sources provides a variety of nutrients. Some squirrels like yogurt....some don’t. I mix it in my formula for babies, have given it in bowls for my little ones (very messy!) and give a spoonful to my flyer every day. Yogurt provides some calcium to the diet which is always a good thing with these guys IMO.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (09-14-2020)

Thank you! I'll add some whole fat, no sugar added yogurt to Buddy's diet as well. Thanks!

I have had good luck with Cabot's Plain, Whole Milk Greek Yogurt which is stocked by Walmart. It has cream added so it has a high fat content which is what squirrel's need, lots of calories. Buddy definitely benefit by the calories. Getting another strong calcium source is always good, plus it has probiotics, facilitating healthy digestion. Try it plain. I put it on a spoon which I hold. If he won't eat it plain you might try puts a drop or two of natural honey in it to provoke interest.

It is nice to establish a variety of foods that he will eat so that you can rotate them occasionally. I think they are more open to new foods when they are younger so now would be a good time to experiment using the recommended foods list.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (09-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    I have had good luck with Cabot's Plain, Whole Milk Greek Yogurt which is stocked by Walmart. It has cream added so it has a high fat content which is what squirrel's need, lots of calories. Buddy definitely benefit by the calories. Getting another strong calcium source is always good, plus it has probiotics, facilitating healthy digestion. Try it plain. I put it on a spoon which I hold. If he won't eat it plain you might try puts a drop or two of natural honey in it to provoke interest.

It is nice to establish a variety of foods that he will eat so that you can rotate them occasionally. I think they are more open to new foods when they are younger so now would be a good time to experiment using the recommended foods list.
    Thank you so much! Yes, I'll definitely add yogurt! Thanks for the suggestions/info!