Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time squirrel mom with a few (probably silly) questions

Question First time squirrel mom with a few (probably silly) questions

Hello! First time squirrel mom, and trying desperately to do my research but I have a few questions on what is normal for a baby squirrel and what isn't. We found a baby squirrel when he was around 3 1/2 weeks old. He was thin and we hydrated him with unflavored pedialyte for 3 feedings then switched to 1 teaspoon of esbilac with 3 teaspoons water, with 1 teaspoon of vanilla low-fat yogurt, heavy whipping cream and half an egg yolk. Is that the right formula for him? He has been drinking between 2 and 4 Ccs depending on how hungry he is. I keep worrying about bloating. I've seen contradicting statements on this all over the internet. I did order the weening formula for fox Valley and it should be here soon. And my other question was that he opened his eyes yesterday and has been itching his face and torso. There are no bugs I can see on him, and I gave him a "Dawn bath" yesterday. He has a few scabs on his sides but they are healing really well. He started sucking and nibbling on his paws today as his eyes opened too. Is his itching and nibbling something to worry about or is that a normal baby thing to do?

Default Re: First time squirrel mom with a few (probably silly) questions

Quote Originally Posted by vegas0917 View Post
    Hello! First time squirrel mom, and trying desperately to do my research but I have a few questions on what is normal for a baby squirrel and what isn't. We found a baby squirrel when he was around 3 1/2 weeks old. He was thin and we hydrated him with unflavored pedialyte for 3 feedings then switched to 1 teaspoon of esbilac with 3 teaspoons water, with 1 teaspoon of vanilla low-fat yogurt, heavy whipping cream and half an egg yolk. Is that the right formula for him? He has been drinking between 2 and 4 Ccs depending on how hungry he is. I keep worrying about bloating. I've seen contradicting statements on this all over the internet. I did order the weening formula for fox Valley and it should be here soon. And my other question was that he opened his eyes yesterday and has been itching his face and torso. There are no bugs I can see on him, and I gave him a "Dawn bath" yesterday. He has a few scabs on his sides but they are healing really well. He started sucking and nibbling on his paws today as his eyes opened too. Is his itching and nibbling something to worry about or is that a normal baby thing to do?
    to TSB!

The Esbilac should be the powdered version and if you are using the Esbilac, it should be mixed 1 part powdered to 2 parts water. No need to add anything to the Esbilac, but you can add some heavy whipping cream. The liquid Esbilac is different (surprisingly) and not tolerated well (not digested well) by squirrels and we have even seen cases of "failure to thrive".

AT 5 weeks, eyes open you baby should be on the Fox Valley 20/50.. hopefully that is the one you ordered. We don't wean, we continue to give formula until they refuse it. Formula is THE best thing they can eat. Did you order some Henry's Healthy Block for him... they are the best and he should start to be introduced to rodent block at his age. Rodent block is the first and only solid food he should get until he is eating that very well.

Pictures always help.. .the scratching could be dryness. If he is in a cardboard box, that often fries them out.

I did order the 20/50! I'm glad I picked the right one! Whew...and I'm glad you said that about weening because I absolutely would have weened. Thank you! Here are a few pics of his chin and tummy, where he itches, and one of his general being. Thank you so much!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to vegas0917 from:

Buddy (09-16-2020)

"He" is a she...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

bre (09-13-2020), Mialouise (09-14-2020), Rock Monkey (09-14-2020)

Smile Re: First time squirrel mom with a few (probably silly) questions

My mind is blown! I've been calling him a her by mistake and trying to correct myself!
    I could've sworn that was a baby male bit..I will do some brushing up on baby squirrel anatomy lol! Thank you for telling me!

Regarding the itching I would that take a warm wet towel to clean the muzzle after feeding and see if that doesn't help. Mine just used my shirt. As far as the other she might be peeing herself. Just my first guesses.

That makes sense. I did start doing that yesterday, but she's only had one dawn bath. Should I bathe her more? I read something about dry skin, could that be it? How would I know, and what would I do? There isn't really any flakes coming off her, just a little bit of red skin. It may also be because she has started sucking and nibbling her paws, maybe because of teething? So maybe her skin is itchy because she's been trying to nibble at herself? What do you guys think?

A safe bet for dry skin is coconut oil. Try rubbing some onto her skin where you think she’s itchy or dry.

My mind is blown! I've been calling him a her by mistake and trying to correct myself!
    I could've sworn that was a baby male bit..I will do some brushing up on baby squirrel anatomy lol! Thank you for telling me!
    Because females have a slight protrusion it is a common misjudgement.
    The thing to remember is if it's between the legs - female.
    If it's up where one would think belly button - male.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Talking Re: First time squirrel mom with a few (probably silly) questions

I'll remember that now, looking at the pictures it's backwards of what I originally thought. That's such a cool way to remember it, thank you!

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to vegas0917 from:

stepnstone (09-15-2020)

What material do you use for her bedding?

Right now I have a hamster cage (we're saving up for a bigger indoor one and planning to build a big outdoor one) with a heating pad, a soft freeze or shirt she loves, a breathable workout shirt and a fuzzy rice buddy sock to snuggle with. I started bathing her with warm water after each meal too.

The shirts are good because they have your scents and will her feel like she is cuddling with Mom.

Regarding the baths, soap is desiccant. It removes oils from the skin and these are essential to healthy skin. They are pretty good at grooming themselves. Bathing often could cause problems.

They like to pee and butt drag. It is how they mark territory and send messages. So, you are never going to have a spotless squirrel.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Buddy (09-16-2020), Diggie's Friend (09-24-2020)

That makes sense. She has been itching less with me cleaning her with water after feeding. Though for future reference, if she starts to smell a little like pee or something like that, is dawn the best way to bathe her? I saw a post that mentioned they could begin to smell a little before they get full grown...is that true? I don't mind, I'm here for her for as long as she needs me. But I would like to not have a super stinky squirrel! lol

I would suggest a paper towel dampened with warm water, no soap. This should prevent things from caking up. You are going to have to be resigned to a little bit of yellow fur.

They also like to squirm around like a snake in order clean things a little, usually on something with comfortable fabric and some degree of contour. It is a little bit a message as well for them.

Right now I have a hamster cage (we're saving up for a bigger indoor one and planning to build a big outdoor one) with a heating pad, a soft freeze or shirt she loves, a breathable workout shirt and a fuzzy rice buddy sock to snuggle with. I started bathing her with warm water after each meal too.
    You can purchase polar fleece from JoAnns fabrics or Hobby Lobby. It’s not very expensive when it’s on sale. It requires no sewing, just cut it into blankets the size you need. I also purchase soft baby blankets at Ross when they’re marked for clearance. They’re usually $2.99 or 3.99 each. They can also be cut without producing long threads that they could get tangled in.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (09-22-2020)

Red face Re: First time squirrel mom with a few (probably silly) questions

Awesome! I'll check hobby lobby and see! I'll give her a bath this weekend and see how she does! Thank you all so much for your help!

Also you can stop by Goodwill and see if there are any fleeces available.

Red face Re: First time squirrel mom with a few (probably silly) questions

I did get some fleece and she loves it! It's her new favorite snuggle nest!

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to vegas0917 from:

Mel1959 (09-22-2020)

This pet wash was formulated for pets in mind. It contains no sulfates, alcohol, parabens, detergents, and is soap-less. Unlike dish soap products that strips the skin of oils, this source formulated for pets to be gentle on the skin, not promoting itching, pH balanced, not irritating to the eyes, containing organic ingredients. Though I can see the benefit of using dish soap one time to remove fleas in rehabbing, for a source that is used repeatedly for long-term care this would appear to be the better gentler option. Worth checking out.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Pet-Works...0802075&sr=8-8

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Rock Monkey (09-27-2020), Snicker Bar (09-23-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast