Thread: Weaning off of Milk

Default Weaning off of Milk

I have 2 squirrels both 8 weeks coming up to 9 weeks.

I know the squirrels should be on formula at least until 14-16 weeks, and that their first solid foods should be squirrel cubes (i have henrys) and healthy vegetables (i'm following the diagram on henrys website and listings of safe veggies for them to eat.)

Both my squirrels LOVE the cubes. One of them prefers the cubes to formula at this point.

When should I start weaning them?

Should I be decreasing their feedings 4x a day and feeding them 3x but more at each feeding? (not sure where I read that one..)

At this point each squirrel is consuming 2 cubes a day and the female is eating 12-15ccs per feeding. (weighs 182g)
    the male is eating anywhere between 3-9ccs sometimes 12ccs per feeding if I can coax him into it and 2 cubes per day as well. (weighs 179g)

They are both drinking water from their water bottles, and are both very active and steadily gaining weight.

I'm trying to hold off on weaning them till week 9 or 10 but the male seems pretty adamant that he wants solid foods.

Do I slowly start decreasing their feedings and increasing their formula? If so when?

Do I feed them more solid foods than I already am? (2 cubes and introduce 1 new veggie a week)

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Weaning off of Milk

Should I be following this chart?

Name:  CHART FOR BABIES.png
Views: 72
Size:  50.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    I have 2 squirrels both 8 weeks coming up to 9 weeks.

I know the squirrels should be on formula at least until 14-16 weeks, and that their first solid foods should be squirrel cubes (i have henrys) and healthy vegetables (i'm following the diagram on henrys website and listings of safe veggies for them to eat.)

Both my squirrels LOVE the cubes. One of them prefers the cubes to formula at this point.

When should I start weaning them?

Should I be decreasing their feedings 4x a day and feeding them 3x but more at each feeding? (not sure where I read that one..)

At this point each squirrel is consuming 2 cubes a day and the female is eating 12-15ccs per feeding. (weighs 182g)
    the male is eating anywhere between 3-9ccs sometimes 12ccs per feeding if I can coax him into it and 2 cubes per day as well. (weighs 179g)

They are both drinking water from their water bottles, and are both very active and steadily gaining weight.

I'm trying to hold off on weaning them till week 9 or 10 but the male seems pretty adamant that he wants solid foods.

Do I slowly start decreasing their feedings and increasing their formula? If so when?

Do I feed them more solid foods than I already am? (2 cubes and introduce 1 new veggie a week)

Thanks!!!

We do not recommend weaning them off formula, we allow them to wean themselves and they will when they are ready.
    You can reduce their formula to 2x per day at this point. You do want them to be eating their block as their primary nutrition
    as formula and then block is their assurance against having MBD. You can offer them a variety of veggies.
    Attached below is the healthy diet for squirrels.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Pancakes (09-12-2020)

Stepnstone,

Sorry I guess my question was a little confusing. I was concerned that my male squirrel was already starting to wean himself and I was concerned that it was way to early since they just finished their 8th week of life. I wanted to see if I needed to start reducing feedings (I'm currently feeding them 4x per day) and if their cc amount should go up as the number of feedings goes down.

Chips my female will eat as much as you let her eat, she LOVES milk replacer, cubes, and honestly any vegetables I put in front of her. Guac my male, is more interested in solid food than milk replacer at this point. I was wondering how many cubes I should be feeding him if he isn't taking in much food in the formula department.

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll make sure they wean themselves. Just trying to make sure they are happy and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    Stepnstone,

Sorry I guess my question was a little confusing. I was concerned that my male squirrel was already starting to wean himself and I was concerned that it was way to early since they just finished their 8th week of life. I wanted to see if I needed to start reducing feedings (I'm currently feeding them 4x per day) and if their cc amount should go up as the number of feedings goes down.

Chips my female will eat as much as you let her eat, she LOVES milk replacer, cubes, and honestly any vegetables I put in front of her. Guac my male, is more interested in solid food than milk replacer at this point. I was wondering how many cubes I should be feeding him if he isn't taking in much food in the formula department.

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll make sure they wean themselves. Just trying to make sure they are happy and healthy.

When you say "cubes," are you feeding HHB's (Henry's) or another type?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator