Thread: Chipmunk Losing Fur

Threaded View

Question Chipmunk Losing Fur

Hello!

Thank you for letting me join the forum, it has been very useful to me over the last week.

I recently rescued a baby chipmunk that was frozen in the road. It was almost hit by three cars. I never saw the mother or any other chipmunks around either. I took her in and followed instructions to take care of her. It took me about a week to get the correct formula (Esbilac with heavy whipping cream) and she's been getting it for about 4 or 5 days now. I fed her fruit and veggies until I got the formula. She now has grown and is slightly larger and is VERY active. I quickly made a temporary cage out of a large rubber maid storage container, some fencing, uvb heat lamp, and some blankets. I recently put a few large sticks in there so she can start climbing and wearing on her nails/teeth. I just got the mazuri rodent chow, the zupreem primate chow, and deer antlers in and she has started eating/knawing them yesterday. I discovered yesterday that the recipe I was given for the formula was not strong enough, so I will increase that starting today. Otherwise she has been eating plenty of fruit, formula, and drinking a lot of water on her own.

All that being said, I feel like she is on the right track now that I have everything I need. The only problem is that she seems to be losing fur now. It's not patchy as much as it is thinning. I thought it might be mange mites, so I grabbed a flea & tick spray for birds and applied it using a cotton ball (she hated it). I also used it on the cage and thoroughly wiped it down using the spray. I did this two days ago and I wiped her down one more time yesterday (but not the cage) because she was squirming so much. She is still very hyper and uses her exercise wheel and runs around the cage. She also doesn't have any scabs, or dry skin that I can see. I am very confused is it mange mites, lack of vitamin D3, lack of calcium, fungus, or something I am not aware of yet? I just got some Ivermectin Paste 1.87%, but I am nervous about giving it to her, especially being so tiny.

I have added three images: one from the first day, another from a couple days ago, and one from today where you can see the progression of the fur loss.

I did not get any help from the vets around here, so any help will do. Thank everyone. Also, sorry for writing such a big novel.
    Attached Images Attached Images