Thread: Chipmunk Losing Fur

Question Chipmunk Losing Fur

Hello!

Thank you for letting me join the forum, it has been very useful to me over the last week.

I recently rescued a baby chipmunk that was frozen in the road. It was almost hit by three cars. I never saw the mother or any other chipmunks around either. I took her in and followed instructions to take care of her. It took me about a week to get the correct formula (Esbilac with heavy whipping cream) and she's been getting it for about 4 or 5 days now. I fed her fruit and veggies until I got the formula. She now has grown and is slightly larger and is VERY active. I quickly made a temporary cage out of a large rubber maid storage container, some fencing, uvb heat lamp, and some blankets. I recently put a few large sticks in there so she can start climbing and wearing on her nails/teeth. I just got the mazuri rodent chow, the zupreem primate chow, and deer antlers in and she has started eating/knawing them yesterday. I discovered yesterday that the recipe I was given for the formula was not strong enough, so I will increase that starting today. Otherwise she has been eating plenty of fruit, formula, and drinking a lot of water on her own.

All that being said, I feel like she is on the right track now that I have everything I need. The only problem is that she seems to be losing fur now. It's not patchy as much as it is thinning. I thought it might be mange mites, so I grabbed a flea & tick spray for birds and applied it using a cotton ball (she hated it). I also used it on the cage and thoroughly wiped it down using the spray. I did this two days ago and I wiped her down one more time yesterday (but not the cage) because she was squirming so much. She is still very hyper and uses her exercise wheel and runs around the cage. She also doesn't have any scabs, or dry skin that I can see. I am very confused is it mange mites, lack of vitamin D3, lack of calcium, fungus, or something I am not aware of yet? I just got some Ivermectin Paste 1.87%, but I am nervous about giving it to her, especially being so tiny.

I have added three images: one from the first day, another from a couple days ago, and one from today where you can see the progression of the fur loss.

I did not get any help from the vets around here, so any help will do. Thank everyone. Also, sorry for writing such a big novel.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Chipmunk Losing Fur

So you just very recently have changed her diet because you found out it was deficient? Is that correct? Because this does not look like mites (the skin is usually raw and rough as the mites actually burrow in the skin) but it DOES look like dietary deficiency. If the baby was fed fruit and stuff for several days, then the formula was deficient, it would absolutely cause problems. Can you tell us what was wrong with the formula?

No more flea/mite spray. The smell alone would be very upsetting.

It may take a while to start to regrow the fur, though hopefully this will coincide with their growing heavier winter fur.

Yes it is a recent change to her diet, because the formula was unavailable and it took time to get the Zupreem and Mazuri supplies. I knew that she could only have certain foods, so I tried to only give her foods high in calcium. Once I got the formula I found a recipe on this site:
    https://www.squirreltales.org/index.htm#Section-G

Which said to use 2 parts water, 1 part formula, ¼ heavy whipping cream. The other day I found out that it is supposed to be 1 part formula, 1.5 part water, ¼ heavy whipping cream. I also got some calcium powder from squirrelsandmore.com. Last night I mixed a little in with some minced broccoli and cauliflower. It looked like she ate it along with the mazuri and Zupreem blocks I put in there. Do you think it was the lack of formula for the few days I couldn't get it?

Well, it is possible; they grow so quickly they really require what they require and it shows when they get something different. It sounds as though he is on good chow NOW so that is good.

I have another question: Did he by any chance end up with a bunch formula on him - they can be wiggly and hard to feed - that maybe didn't get wiped off well? Oddly, if formula gets left on the skin it will burn the fur away and even redden the skin a bit under it. You often see it on faces and front paws because that is where most of the spilled formula ends up, but this almost looks like that.

A little got out a couple times but I wiped her off with a tissue and she now wipes her face on the blankets when we're done feeding. At first I had some junky syringes from work (I work at a hospital) and I got some good ones now. It is much easier to feed her and there are less incidents. Will that fur loss from the formula grow back and heal?

Oh yes, it will grow back.

I would do one thing in addition to the healthy diet. Just in case there is something brewing with her, go to the drug store, to the wound care area, and get a bottle of Betadyne (10% povidone iodine). If they have their own store brand, save some $$ and get that one. Mix 20 drops of the betadyne into 1/4 cup water. It will be the color of tea. Use that to wipe your baby down. It does not sting or burn, won't hurt him if he grooms himself, and dries without leaving any kind of residue on the fur. It is antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral so it covers pretty much everything. Works good on humans, too.

When you have a couple bucks, go here : https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/ and buy some of the blocks. My squirrels are wild for the Hazelnut Blocks. They are like food and supplement so if he eats one a day along with his other stuff you know he is getting ALL of the nutrients he needs.

That is great advice! Thank you so much! I was so worried about her. I will get those hazelnut blocks as soon as possible and I'll get that solution to wipe her down too! You have been so helpful and I am so glad I joined this group. Thank you again!

Hi,

I have seen any positive change in her. Henry's blocks are on the way, but she still seems to be losing a great deal of fur. She's almost bald now. She's scratching quite a bit too, but I do not see any marks of any kind, just pink skin.

Thank you

Forgive me if this has already been asked. I only glanced over the thread. Have you treated her with one drop of kitten Revolution? It will control mites and can be given orally on a piece of nut. This could be an allergic reaction to the topical flea and mite spray you applied.

I have not tried that yet. Do you know where I can get it? I haven't seen it in any stores before, but I've heard about it.

Also, in my last post I meant to say I "haven't" seen any change in her. It seems to continue to get worse actually.

I haven't used the topical spray in a while. I've actually sanitized the cage with 7th generation wipes and also washed the bedding with their detergent as well. I read in other people's post that hand soap had something to do with it too, so I can my hands soap to a plant based one hoping it would be less bothersome to her.

Unfortunately the kitten Revolution needs to be purchased from a vet. If you know someone who has a cat or you have a cat, then you should be able to get it from the vet. If this isn’t the case it can be ordered online from Australia at Joes Pet Meds. Many folks get it from this source, it’s perfectly safe but takes longer to receive by mail. I believe they have the US version as well as the one sold in England by another name. They are the same product, Selamectin. You can purchase the cat version or the kitten version, whichever is cheapest. The cat version is the same strength as the kitten, there’s just more in each vial. You will only be using one drop so it doesn’t matter.

Thank you for the reply. Is there an alternative solution to revolution? Joe's pet meds says it is shipping out 8-12 weeks because of covid 🤦*♂️.

Ivermectin paste is the alternative. It can be purchased at Tractor Supply or feed stores. It comes in a paste version for horses. It is much more potent than ivermectin so post what form and the strength you get and someone will be able to tell you how much to give.

You might need to start a new thread to get a quick response.

I have the 1.87%. I attached a photo of her and a photo of the ivermectin paste as well. When I get a chance I will weigh her.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Ivermectin paste is the alternative. It can be purchased at Tractor Supply or feed stores. It comes in a paste version for horses. It is much more potent than ivermectin so post what form and the strength you get and someone will be able to tell you how much to give.

You might need to start a new thread to get a quick response.
    Please can you help me.
    I have a little southern flyer with tiny black mites but my cats and dogs and house is infested with apparently more than one more.It is a living nightmare .I have cleaned mopped,round the clock laundry and treated dogs,cats with ivermectin,and not slept for about 48 hours. I have ivermectin 1% injection. Would you by any chance know,how much to give my little Richie? He is about 45 grams.
    Would it be given orally or just a touch at the back of neck.Should it be diluted with propylene glycol? I have propylene glycol as well

Quote Originally Posted by Zomlies View Post
    Hello!

Thank you for letting me join the forum, it has been very useful to me over the last week.

I recently rescued a baby chipmunk that was frozen in the road. It was almost hit by three cars. I never saw the mother or any other chipmunks around either. I took her in and followed instructions to take care of her. It took me about a week to get the correct formula (Esbilac with heavy whipping cream) and she's been getting it for about 4 or 5 days now. I fed her fruit and veggies until I got the formula. She now has grown and is slightly larger and is VERY active. I quickly made a temporary cage out of a large rubber maid storage container, some fencing, uvb heat lamp, and some blankets. I recently put a few large sticks in there so she can start climbing and wearing on her nails/teeth. I just got the mazuri rodent chow, the zupreem primate chow, and deer antlers in and she has started eating/knawing them yesterday. I discovered yesterday that the recipe I was given for the formula was not strong enough, so I will increase that starting today. Otherwise she has been eating plenty of fruit, formula, and drinking a lot of water on her own.

All that being said, I feel like she is on the right track now that I have everything I need. The only problem is that she seems to be losing fur now. It's not patchy as much as it is thinning. I thought it might be mange mites, so I grabbed a flea & tick spray for birds and applied it using a cotton ball (she hated it). I also used it on the cage and thoroughly wiped it down using the spray. I did this two days ago and I wiped her down one more time yesterday (but not the cage) because she was squirming so much. She is still very hyper and uses her exercise wheel and runs around the cage. She also doesn't have any scabs, or dry skin that I can see. I am very confused is it mange mites, lack of vitamin D3, lack of calcium, fungus, or something I am not aware of yet? I just got some Ivermectin Paste 1.87%, but I am nervous about giving it to her, especially being so tiny.

I have added three images: one from the first day, another from a couple days ago, and one from today where you can see the progression of the fur loss.

I did not get any help from the vets around here, so any help will do. Thank everyone. Also, sorry for writing such a big novel.
    There is a Chipmunk forum on this squirrel board....under "breed specific". I found a for for flying squirrels as well, after I had been on here for almost a year,I didn't realize,because I'm not very skilled at this forum.

a few years ago I raised a particular mouse. When she was about 2 weeks old and fully furred, she began losing fur - starting on the top of her head. It became "smooth as a baby's behind" and she started thinning all over. I put a single drop of ivermectin on the back of her neck and within 3 days, I could see the new fur coming in. It was amazingly fast! Hopefully that little chippy has grown his fur back, but if not, I'd suggest ivermectin is the way to go. I'm unfamiliar with the paste, so wouldn't know how to dose that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzie&Richie's Mom View Post
    Please can you help me.
    I have a little southern flyer with tiny black mites but my cats and dogs and house is infested with apparently more than one more.It is a living nightmare .I have cleaned mopped,round the clock laundry and treated dogs,cats with ivermectin,and not slept for about 48 hours. I have ivermectin 1% injection. Would you by any chance know,how much to give my little Richie? He is about 45 grams.
    Would it be given orally or just a touch at the back of neck.Should it be diluted with propylene glycol? I have propylene glycol as well
    I would say a drop at the back of the neck. I didn't dilute when I did it to my mouse - and she was fine. It was recommended to me that I rub it in with a piece of wax paper.