Thread: Help with feeding schedule and other question

Default Help with feeding schedule and other question

Hi. I am hoping someone can help me with my boys. They were found on Wednesday September 23; they were cold and dehydrated. Finn weighed 78 g and Huck 84 g. I gave them pedialyte and after they were hydrated I started them on FV 20/50. They opened their eyes on Saturday September 26. Right now they are drinking 8 ml every 4 hours except the middle of the night feeding which I stopped when their eyes opened. Today they weighed 120 and 124.

Questions:
    They still want more formula but I am stopping them after 8 ml. Should I feed them more?
    I have HHB in the freezer. Do I put that out for them already?
    When do I change them from 4 hours (5 times a day) to five hours (4 times a day)?
    I am still stimulating them at each feeding and providing them with a heating pad under half of the plastic tub they are in. When do I stop that?
    When do I switch them over to the critter nation ferret cage that I have?

Any other thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  IMG_1543.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  113.5 KB

Default Re: Help with feeding schedule and other question

Update:
    Finn weighs 148 g and Huck 158 g. They are beginning to play and they are so adorable.

Hopefully someone can let me know the answers to these question:
    When do I change them from 4 hours (5 times a day) to five hours (4 times a day)?

Any other suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  IMG_3810.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  85.8 KB

Default Re: Help with feeding schedule and other question

Quote Originally Posted by AnaMM View Post
    Hi. I am hoping someone can help me with my boys. They were found on Wednesday September 23; they were cold and dehydrated. Finn weighed 78 g and Huck 84 g. I gave them pedialyte and after they were hydrated I started them on FV 20/50. They opened their eyes on Saturday September 26. Right now they are drinking 8 ml every 4 hours except the middle of the night feeding which I stopped when their eyes opened. Today they weighed 120 and 124.

Questions:
    They still want more formula but I am stopping them after 8 ml. Should I feed them more?
    I have HHB in the freezer. Do I put that out for them already?
    I am still stimulating them at each feeding and providing them with a heating pad under half of the plastic tub they are in. When do I stop that?

Any other thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  IMG_1543.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  113.5 KB
    They are precious!

Usually eyes open @ 5 weeks so they are working on 7 weeks old. At 7 weeks you can cut back to 3 feedings.
    Yes, they can be fed more. At their present weight (post#2) 7% of the recommended feed by 5-7% of body weight,
    148 grams comes to 10.3cc's & 158 grams comes to 11cc's . With any increase in formula just watch the bowels stay stable,
    if they start to "soften," cut back a little.
    Eyes open should be introduced to the block, you want it to be the first solid food they are eating and eating well before
    introducing other solids.
    Stimulating helps keep bedding clean but they should be able to go on their own by now.
    If they are still wanting the heat pad I'd leave it, if they are moving off it you can remove it.
    I'd be inclined personally to wait until they are at least eight weeks before moving into cage
    but that could also depend on the size of cage.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

AnaMM (10-06-2020)