Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: strange diarrhea

Default Re: strange diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It seems to me a dose of panacur wouldn’t hurt. Can’t panacur be purchased at feed stores or tractor supply stores?

I have safeguard. Will that work? And, if so, how much would I give him?

I always order panacur online.
    Dosing is given by the weight of your baby. I'll attach a picture of the panacur for you.
    I'm not sure if the panacur is going to solve the problem, but I know that it won't hurt.
    Someone experienced will have to dose. Even if suggested not to use on your baby. It's a good thing to have panacur on hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

tnd5 (09-14-2020)

I received the FV 20/50 today. I am slowly switching all 7 of the babies to that. They are all over 6 weeks old. I have been giving Vinnie, (the one with the strange diarrhea), the pepto suggested by crittermom. The poops look a bit better, but still jellylike......the female, (Minnie), has stopped the diarrhea. YAY!

Should I try Immodium or wait and see if the change in formula works?

Also, will Safeguard work in place of Pancur? I will get the Pancur, if not.

Thank you

Donna

I would wait and see if the change in formula helps. The Pepto treats the symptom of diarrhea but not the cause. If the loose stool is a result of parasites (like giardiasis) the Panacur/safeguard will help. Both Safeguard and Panacur are the same drug, Fenbendazole.

Below is the dosage chart out of the Wild Mammal Baby Book. Note the strength of the drug and the amount the dosage is calculated at (50mg/kg) on the chart. Overall, it is a safe drug, but tastes nasty.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

tnd5 (09-16-2020)

The safeguard I have is the paste. It is 100mg/g. Vinnie weighs 284g. Can someone help me with dosing, in case I need to try it? I am not math savvy.

I am sorry to keep bothering all of you, but he is the only one out of 7 that has a problem. I am concerned about him.

Thank you

I would go ahead and see if the formula change will do the trick, and if it doesn't, I would weigh the baby again before dosing, because there is a good chance that the weight will still change.
    Please keep us updated and no worries about asking additional questions.
    Everyone is just busy with babies and it may take a while to answer questions.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

tnd5 (09-16-2020)

Fingers crossed.....the change in formula from FV 32/40 to FV 20/50 seems to be the trick. Vinnie's diarrhea seems to be getting better. He is on full strength formula now, after a slow transition. His poop is almost formed and turning a light brown color. Could it be that the previous formula did not agree with him?

Thank you all for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Donna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12