Thread: strange diarrhea

Hybrid View

Unhappy strange diarrhea

Ok, I have tried and done everything I can think of. I have a 9 week old male that has had some type of diarrhea for almost a month now. He is on the FV 32/40, (waiting on the FV 20/50 I ordered). He was fine until I started introducing salads and veggies at 6 weeks old. It is NOT dark, or super runny. It is more of a tan, sticky, mucousy bubble.......It gets stuck on his legs and behind daily. He has had baths, pepto, yogurt. I have withheld the salads for 2 days, thinking they were the problem. I have limited his formula intake to 2-3cc less than what he should get.......No change. Vinnie is not dehydrated and drinking water from a bowl. He gets 2-3 Kaytee blocks a day, apple and oak sticks to chew. He is 269g and eats 13cc 3xday. He loves cauliflower and brussel sprouts. Not so much romaine, but will eat some....he has 2 other males he is cage mates with that do not have any problems.

Also, a female that weighs 218g and eats 11cc 3xday. Minnie is a week older than Vinnie. She is in a seperate cage with 2 other females, and, pretty much has the same thing, although not as bad.

There are 2 other squirrels in male and female cages with no problems whatsoever.

Can anyone give me any ideas about what may be going on with the 2 babies?

Thank you for any responses!

Default Re: strange diarrhea

Does it have a foul smell? If so, what does it smell like (I know, gross... ever more gross: Pictures of poo would help).

He'll need a lot more than 2 - 3 Kaytee if that is the only rodent block he is getting.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

tnd5 (09-11-2020)

yes, it does have a bit of an odor. It is not too bad, though, (I have worked in many veterinarian offices and smelled some pretty bad odors). I will try to get a picture tomorrow. They have gone to bed for the night.

I will give more blocks. I was lead to believe that they should only get 2 per day.

Thank you, Spanky!

The "2 blocks a day" applies to Henry's Healthy Blocks (HHB) which are supplemental blocks (concentrated). Kaytee is intended as the primary food source (90% of their diet).

Pics would help... the diarrhea may be something like coccidia which would require treatment with antibiotics.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

tnd5 (09-11-2020)

You may want to consider switching to a better block. Mazuri is available at retail stores and is of higher quality nutritionally. Give a whole bowl of it and allow them to eat it freely.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

tnd5 (09-11-2020)

Thank you very much for your replies. I got a couple of pictures this morning, but they are not real good. Hopefully, you can see them well enough to help me out.Name:  2020-09-11 08.11.05.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  88.0 KBName:  2020-09-11 08.14.53.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  90.2 KBName:  2020-09-11 08.11.05.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  88.0 KBName:  2020-09-11 08.14.53.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  90.2 KB

I hope the pictures work......

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    You may want to consider switching to a better block. Mazuri is available at retail stores and is of higher quality nutritionally. Give a whole bowl of it and allow them to eat it freely.
    Done. My husband picked them up at lunchtime. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Is it the Mazuri rat and mouse diet?