Thread: Baby squirrel needs other squirrels, Atlanta GA area

Default Baby squirrel needs other squirrels, Atlanta GA area

Hi everyone
    Our little baby 5 week old squirrel is in the Atlanta area and I was wondering if anyone else knew of someone nearby with a baby squirrel for socialization. I am scared that if our baby stays with us through the winter I am not going to be able to let her back out or she won't want to go. I just read somewhere where it says NOT to talk to your squirrel and to keep it in a room by itself. Well...our baby has been in the area of all of us and she just opened her eyes today so it was a happy day. How do we raise them without loving on them? It's not in my nature so that is why I wanted to find someone else who may have a baby.

Thank you for any help

Default Re: Baby squirrel needs other squirrels, Atlanta GA area

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Hi everyone
    Our little baby 5 week old squirrel is in the Atlanta area and I was wondering if anyone else knew of someone nearby with a baby squirrel for socialization. I am scared that if our baby stays with us through the winter I am not going to be able to let her back out or she won't want to go. I just read somewhere where it says NOT to talk to your squirrel and to keep it in a room by itself. Well...our baby has been in the area of all of us and she just opened her eyes today so it was a happy day. How do we raise them without loving on them? It's not in my nature so that is why I wanted to find someone else who may have a baby.

Thank you for any help

Please go to this thread below.
    Spanky is your man and he offered help on the 4th of September.
    You are doing the ultimate act of love.......and thinking only of your
    little ones well being.
    You won't find anyone better!

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...e-Atlanta-area

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Mialouise (09-14-2020)

Alice, I would be honored to help with your baby, release her in a group her age in a squirrel friendly, rural and wooded area.

I have Atlas who came from Dunwoody and is right around the same age as your baby. Currently he has a pair of older litter mates, but tonight another pair came in closer to Atlas' age and once those two are healthy they will become Atlas' litter mates. (No worries, there is another pair of older boys that are a good match for these other two and 4 (IMO) is a perfect number!).

The window for combining baby squirrels closes at around 8 weeks... after that they will not accept others into their group. The earlier they are combined the better.

I am not in the immediate Atlanta area, I am northeast of there on Lake Hartwell with lots of woods and few roads. I call this area Sandy's Sanctuary in honor of the sweet girl named Sandy that was my first ever release.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mialouise (09-16-2020), Nancy in New York (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Alice, I would be honored to help with your baby, release her in a group her age in a squirrel friendly, rural and wooded area.

I have Atlas who came from Dunwoody and is right around the same age as your baby. Currently he has a pair of older litter mates, but tonight another pair came in closer to Atlas' age and once those two are healthy they will become Atlas' litter mates. (No worries, there is another pair of older boys that are a good match for these other two and 4 (IMO) is a perfect number!).

The window for combining baby squirrels closes at around 8 weeks... after that they will not accept others into their group. The earlier they are combined the better.

I am not in the immediate Atlanta area, I am northeast of there on Lake Hartwell with lots of woods and few roads. I call this area Sandy's Sanctuary in honor of the sweet girl named Sandy that was my first ever release.

Hi Spanky
    Thank you for getting back to me, as I am reading your reply I am happy and sad at the same time. I literally have a lump in my throat because the thought of not seeing her every day saddens me even though I know I am doing what is best for her. She just opened her eyes on Sunday so she should be right at about 5 weeks old, I feed her Fox/Valley 20/50 and she loves it, she weighed in this morning at 132g so she is healthy and happy.
    Do any of the squirrels you raised come back to see you? Will she be in your care through the winter since she wont be ready for release because of the cold or how do you do that?
    I texted you the other day so if you would like to get back to me via text that would be fine as well since I am not on this site all day and only check it periodically.
    404-xxx-xxxx
    Last edited by Spanky; 09-16-2020 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Edit number from open board

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Alice:

Do any of the squirrels you raised come back to see you?

Yes. I am sure there are many more that I raised and released I do not recognize than the 10 or so I know at first glance... Ear Dear, My One Eyed Girl, Curly Sue, Squirt, Gilbert, Spud, Lucky, Synn.... Some of them got new names after release.

As they get older the males tend to seek out their own territories, but I see some of them though not as frequent as some of the females that stay close to home; some of the girls I see nearly every day for years on end. It all depends on the squirrel.

Will she be in your care through the winter since she wont be ready for release because of the cold or how do you do that?
    We have a longer release season here in the South versus those in the North that have to overwinter. I continue to release almost until December, but I do not release unless they are ready. I do overwinter when needed and some overwinter in my larger release cage. Overwintering in the release cage is a great deal better for the squirrels than overwintering in a small indoor cage. The release cage if 11' X 14' so they have lots of room to run and play than they would indoors. Much better than having to overwinter indoors. But I have had to overwinter plenty indoors when there are simply too many to get released on time.... FWIW The climate where I am is actually warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer than Metro ATL (I lived there for a decade).

The cold is not really an issue in this area and those released here can rely on a generous food supply throughout the winter (which is a more important factor than the cold). Groups that get released in the fall tend to overwinter all together, versus the Spring when then are quicker to go their separate ways.

Based on your girls age and the squirrels I have this fall, I would think she'll either overwinter in the release cage with her mates or indoors. I don't think there is enough weeks left to get her group fully released this fall. These things are always changing... for example, I got another baby from the clinic less than 2 hours ago.

I texted you the other day so if you would like to get back to me via text that would be fine as well since I am not on this site all day and only check it periodically.
    I will send a text so you have my cell number...

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky: