Thread: 4 Week Old Not interested in eating/ Urine smells fishy?

Default 4 Week Old Not interested in eating/ Urine smells fishy?

Hello! I just want to start out by saying how awesome everyone is on here! I have been reading through everyone’s posts and they have helped me get this far in raising my little guy!

My husband found our baby 4 weeks ago this Friday and he was maybe only a day or two old at that time. He is not acting himself in last few days and I’m getting really worried.

Weight: 60 grams
    Food: Goatmilk,yogurt, heavy whipping cream

Issue: Started not eating and now only eats if I’m pushy with it. His urine started getting a little smelly but I thought maybe hormones but now I’m worried he might have a UTI? He sleeps a lot and seems to move around like he’s trying to get comfortable. Could it be because he’s teething?Name:  8B9079F8-08C5-4553-8164-A0396405BED0.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  73.6 KBName:  B18F198F-8D6D-4353-B715-2DEBDEB4FAB8.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  83.0 KB

Default Re: 4 Week Old Not interested in eating/ Urine smells fishy?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrely mom View Post
    Hello! I just want to start out by saying how awesome everyone is on here! I have been reading through everyone’s posts and they have helped me get this far in raising my little guy!

My husband found our baby 4 weeks ago this Friday and he was maybe only a day or two old at that time. He is not acting himself in last few days and I’m getting really worried.

Weight: 60 grams
    Food: Goatmilk,yogurt, heavy whipping cream

Issue: Started not eating and now only eats if I’m pushy with it. His urine started getting a little smelly but I thought maybe hormones but now I’m worried he might have a UTI? He sleeps a lot and seems to move around like he’s trying to get comfortable. Could it be because he’s teething?Name:  8B9079F8-08C5-4553-8164-A0396405BED0.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  73.6 KBName:  B18F198F-8D6D-4353-B715-2DEBDEB4FAB8.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  83.0 KB

I doubt a uti and it's not teething IMO.
    Goat's milk is only meant to be a "temporary" formula until a correct formula can be purchased.
    He looks pretty full to me, could he be bloated? How much is he eating (normally) how often?
    What are his bowels like, is he passing them ok?

Strong urine can be from various reasons not necessarily meaning there's any problem.
    Seriously doubt (stinky) hormones at this age... you'll recognize that when he's older.

I would suggest hydrating him a few times to help flush his system.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

I doubt a uti and it's not teething IMO.
    Goat's milk is only meant to be a "temporary" formula until a correct formula can be purchased.
    He looks pretty full to me, could he be bloated? How much is he eating (normally) how often?
    What are his bowels like, is he passing them ok?

Strong urine can be from various reasons not necessarily meaning there's any problem.
    Seriously doubt (stinky) hormones at this age... you'll recognize that when he's older.

I would suggest hydrating him a few times to help flush his system.
    Well I purchased the Fox Valley 32/40 and tried to introduce that last week week 3 but he was having some issues with not pooping so I went back to the goatmilk w yogurt and he started pooping regularly as well as hydrating him. I have been using Henry’s Pets as my guide which indicated the HGMF mixture would be ok up until week 4 and then I could introduce the Fox Valley 20/50. I was hoping he’d be feeling better to start him on it this week but he’s having a hard time staying interested in food.

He was eating 3 cc’s until a few days ago. Now it’s all over the place. It seems he hungry and then he just spits the nipple out. I’ve tried warming the food in between to make sure it’s not that. I started feeding him every 3 hours starting at 3 weeks but now that he’s not eating as much every 2-2.5 I try to give him a little something. I gave him some water with a little bit of apple juice which he drank all 3 cc’s which is progress. He has been peeing and pooping regularly this week which is why idk what’s going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrely mom View Post
    Well I purchased the Fox Valley 32/40 and tried to introduce that last week week 3 but he was having some issues with not pooping so I went back to the goatmilk w yogurt and he started pooping regularly as well as hydrating him. I have been using Henry’s Pets as my guide which indicated the HGMF mixture would be ok up until week 4 and then I could introduce the Fox Valley 20/50. I was hoping he’d be feeling better to start him on it this week but he’s having a hard time staying interested in food.

He was eating 3 cc’s until a few days ago. Now it’s all over the place. It seems he hungry and then he just spits the nipple out. I’ve tried warming the food in between to make sure it’s not that. I started feeding him every 3 hours starting at 3 weeks but now that he’s not eating as much every 2-2.5 I try to give him a little something. I gave him some water with a little bit of apple juice which he drank all 3 cc’s which is progress. He has been peeing and pooping regularly this week which is why idk what’s going on?
    I know there had been problems with 32/40 and it wasn't being recommended because babies were not able to process it properly due to a change in the ingredients and it sat like sludge in their systems. I don't use it and can't say if that had been corrected. Sounds to me like maybe it hasn't. I can't say I know anyone who uses it anymore due to the initial problem and that problem actually killed babies.

20/50 is a good formula, I believe I would start transitioning him to the 20/50 now.

I understand your logic of wanting to feed more often to make sure he's eating something but would suggest you not.
    By doing this your likely keeping him "full" by not allowing his system time to completely process what he's already eaten before.
    I'm going to attach the feeding chart below that will give you a general estimate on age and feeding.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by stepnstone; 09-09-2020 at 11:12 PM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I know there had been problems with 32/40 and it wasn't being recommended because babies were not able to process it properly due to a change in the ingredients and it sat like sludge in their systems. I don't use it and can't say if that had been corrected. Sounds to me like maybe it hasn't. I can't say I know anyone who uses it anymore due to the initial problem and that problem actually killed babies.

20/50 is a good formula, I believe I would start transitioning him to the 20/50 now.
    Oh no! I wasn’t aware of that. Ok I will do that ASAP!

Thank you so much for all your help!