Thread: Fox Valley Formula & Poop Question.

Default Fox Valley Formula & Poop Question.

Hi,

I saw bunch of posts here by senior members that it's best to mix the FV formula in advance, like 24 hours before. However, on the product/label, it says mix with warm water and feed the squirrel, use the rest of the mixture within 24 hours. Which is it? Do I mix and wait 24 hours before I use or it needs to be used up within 24 hours?

Also, my baby is not having poops after each feed. He's been regular with the Goat Milk/Yogurt/Heavy Cream, but maybe because he is older (around 5-6 weeks). How frequently a 5-6 weeks old squirrel should have a bowel movement? He pees just fine after every meal.

Thank you!

Default Re: Fox Valley Formula & Poop Question.

Also, once mixed how long the formula lasts in the fridge?

Mix it up in advance whenever possible. Here is what I do...

I mix the formula with really hot tap water per the directions. Shake shake shake (some folks prefer whisking). I let it sit on the countertop maybe 1/2 hour, shaking occasionally then into the fridge. It usually sits overnight before I use it... if I happen to be in the fridge, I grab it and shake it some more. I use one of this mixing bottles used in the kitchen with the little metal "whisking" ball that goes inside.

The formula is good a minimum of 36 hours after placing into the fridge.

The younger the babies, the more critical mixing ahead of time becomes. The tiny ones do not do well with formula that is not as fully dissolve as possible!

4. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Baby Brutus (09-01-2020), Buddy (09-01-2020), island rehabber (09-09-2020), LanSeaAir (09-01-2020), Mel1959 (09-01-2020), Nancy in New York (09-01-2020)

Thank you!!!

Any thoughts on how frequently 5-6 weeks old squirrel should have bowel movements? Is there a chart for it, per age?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

LanSeaAir (09-01-2020)

Eyes should be open at the 5 week age and sometimes until u can see that they are peeoing or pooping on own you can help and still stimulate. Will not hurt them. You can add water to the formula next feeding if you don't get poop after a few feedings by stimulation. Once I know they are truly going on own I continue to stimulate after a feeding so I can be sure they are good. Continue formula only at this age and hopefully you already added in a rodent block for teething& nibbles. :-) squirrels can go a feeding or two without poop but should always pee.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LanSeaAir from:

Buddy (09-01-2020)

Thank you! That's helpful and good to know!

I'm going to use this thread instead of creating a new one. I have a question that I hope one of you guys can help with. My Buddy is now 7 weeks old. He is about 135 grams. I think he is doing great. I still feed him every 4 hour and he takes his FV 20/50+Booster 7-8 cc every time. He also eats some veggies and Henry's Blocks on his own. My question is... He is very regular. After his formula, I stimulate him and he pees and poops with no problem, but I haven't seen him pee or poo by himself. Should I stop stimulating him?

Also, what's the average age to stop formula? Do I just keep feeding the formula as long as he takes it?

Thank you!!

They should be able to go potty on their own by the time they open their eyes. Some folks continue to potty them only because it keeps their space cleaner / decreases the frequency required for swapping linens. I don't know about others, but by 7 weeks I am no longer stimulating them to pee / poo.

Yes, continue to feed him formula for as long as he will eat it.. single best thing for him.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Buddy (09-09-2020), island rehabber (09-09-2020)

Thanks! I'll stop and see if he manages himself. It is nice not to have poos/pees everywhere, but I don't want to hold him back by being overly "helpful".

Totally agree with everything Spanky said above . Want to emphasize that we like to let the squirrel decide when it wants to wean, knowing that wildlife is far more in touch with what the body needs than domestic animals are, or humans for that matter. If a baby squirrel is still taking milk, that baby's body is telling it that milk is needed.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Buddy (09-10-2020)