Thread: Just some basic questions here.

Question Just some basic questions here.

1. Is it normal for nutty to sleep a lot in a balled up position?

2. How old do you think nutty is? His eyes are open, ears erect, crawling on all fours and has fur everywhere and a fluffy tail but not too fluffy

3. Do they breathe relatively faster? I dont think he has aspiration... No clicking or sneezing just noticed he breathes in and out fast.

4. I've had him for five days and hes pooped maybe 6 times little black pellets- is this normal? Does he still need to be stimulated?

5. Any advice or critique?

Much love,
    Brittany. Name:  20200905_153030.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  74.6 KB Name:  20200909_154155.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  72.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Just some basic questions here.

Originally Posted by Blantobr

Yes.

2. How old do you think nutty is? His eyes are open, ears erect, crawling on all fours and has fur everywhere and a fluffy tail but not too fluffy
    Looks about 6 weeks old. He is adorable.

3. Do they breathe relatively faster? I font think he has aspiration... No clicking or sneezing just noticed he breathes in and out fast.
    Yes.

4. I've had him for five days and hes pooped maybe 6 times little black pellets- is this normal? Does he still need to be stimulated?

No. His initial poop should have been dark (mommy milk) but they should now be a golden color. What formula are you feeding him?

No nuts! Stop the nuts! The first solid food should be a high quality rodent block. He needs to be on formula.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Blantobr (09-09-2020), bre (09-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Blantobr View Post

3. Do they breathe relatively faster? I dont think he has aspiration... No clicking or sneezing just noticed he breathes in and out fast.

Just a guess I'd say at least 6 weeks old, possibly 7. Black pellets are momma's milk.
    Stimulating helps to keep their bedding clean but he is able to go on his own.
    Fast breathing for me is a red flag.

Advice, get rid of the nuts! He is not able to digest them properly at his stage and captive squirrels fed nuts
    just sets them up for metabolic bone disease. Even if older they are only to be given periodically as a treat.

This baby would still be primarily on formula.
    What formula are you feeding this baby?
    Do you have a weight on him to know your feeding between the recommended 5-7%?
    What type rodent block are you feeding?

Attached below is the link for baby squirrel care, click on the link it can be a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Also attaching link below for the healthy diet pyramid.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Edit: Thanks Spanky I type slow, at least for the most part we are on the same page.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Blantobr (09-09-2020)

He weighs 89 Grams.
    he weighed at 75 grams five days ago when i first got him.

Ive been feeding him every 3.5 hours at 5CC of Esibilac puppy dry formula with prebiotics and probiotics - and a little Bene-Bac each feeding.

The block is a KAYTEE rodent block. i have seen pee, but only a few black pellets-nothing green or brown!

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Just a guess I'd say at least 6 weeks old, possibly 7. Black pellets are momma's milk.
    Stimulating helps to keep their bedding clean but he is able to go on his own.
    Fast breathing for me is a red flag.

Advice, get rid of the nuts! He is not able to digest them properly at his stage and captive squirrels fed nuts
    just sets them up for metabolic bone disease. Even if older they are only to be given periodically as a treat.

This baby would still be primarily on formula.
    What formula are you feeding this baby?
    Do you have a weight on him to know your feeding between the recommended 5-7%?
    What type rodent block are you feeding?

Attached below is the link for baby squirrel care, click on the link it can be a HUGE help.

Also attaching link below for the healthy diet pyramid.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Edit: Thanks Spanky I type slow, at least for the most part we are on the same page.
    He weighs 89 Grams.

Ive been feeding him every 3.5 hours at 5CC of Esibilac puppy dry formula with prebiotics and probiotics - and a little Bene-Bac each feeding.

The block is a KAYTEE rodent block. i have seen pee, but only a few black pellets-nothing green or brown!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Yes.

Looks about 6 weeks old. He is adorable.

3. Do they breathe relatively faster? I font think he has aspiration... No clicking or sneezing just noticed he breathes in and out fast.
    Yes.

No. His initial poop should have been dark (mommy milk) but they should now be a golden color. What formula are you feeding him?

No nuts! Stop the nuts! The first solid food should be a high quality rodent block. He needs to be on formula.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/
    He weighs 89 Grams.

He don't look too bad for his size, he sure is a cute little bug. What is his back story before coming to you?
    His weight is more like a 4 week old then a 6 week but being "behind" is not unusual for orphaned babies.
    Once their systems adjust to the nourishment they generally start catching up in leaps and bounds.

Right now your feeding just a little over 5%. Since you've had him 5 days and he's still passing poops from
    momma's milk I'd recommend giving him * hydration's in between a couple feedings. That can help get things
    moving for him by flushing his system, improve his digesting and increase his appetite.

*Home made hydration fluid
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
    8 oz water

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Blantobr (09-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    He don't look too bad for his size, he sure is a cute little bug. What is his back story before coming to you?
    His weight is more like a 4 week old then a 6 week but being "behind" is not unusual for orphaned babies.
    Once their systems adjust to the nourishment they generally start catching up in leaps and bounds.

Right now your feeding just a little over 5%. Since you've had him 5 days and he's still passing poops from
    momma's milk I'd recommend giving him * hydration's in between a couple feedings. That can help get things
    moving for him by flushing his system, improve his digesting and increase his appetite.

*Home made hydration fluid
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
    8 oz water

Thank you oh so much! He fell from the tree- about 10 feet up was the nest. My friend called me because i rehab birds in the state of Ohio and assumed i knew what to do- but they are pretty different come to find out... i told him to leave it there for the nght and day to see if the mother returns, but two days later he was still there. Fleas were on him and he was very dehydrated. I gave him pedalyte for the first 24 hours and then mixed it with the formula and now hes been on strictly formula. He eats good- likes to go fast so i had to get the nipple to put on the CC syringe. He pees on his own but i noticed the poop was lacking and it was still dark. how often should they poop to not be considered constipated?

Quote Originally Posted by Blantobr View Post
    Thank you oh so much! He fell from the tree- about 10 feet up was the nest. My friend called me because i rehab birds in the state of Ohio and assumed i knew what to do- but they are pretty different come to find out... i told him to leave it there for the nght and day to see if the mother returns, but two days later he was still there. Fleas were on him and he was very dehydrated. I gave him pedalyte for the first 24 hours and then mixed it with the formula and now hes been on strictly formula. He eats good- likes to go fast so i had to get the nipple to put on the CC syringe. He pees on his own but i noticed the poop was lacking and it was still dark. how often should they poop to not be considered constipated?
    First off momma would not have come back at night, attempting to re-unite is best early morning or at least when in the day hours when the squirrels are out. Likely something happened to momma which is why he came out of the nest in the first place, being on the ground for two days makes me think she wasn't around.

Hydrating first thing was very good but... never mix pedalyte with the formula.
    If baby still needs hydration it is recommended to hydrate in between formula feeding.
    As long as he's passing some poo he's not constipated... yet, but you should be seeing something maybe not each feeding but at least every other. With your still seeing mom's milk poo and his having been on the ground dehydrated for several days I suspect his bowels are dry and not moving as well as they should. Hydrating should help with that and you could also give him some gas-x (Simethicone) to get things moving and/ or help with any bloat. Once they pass all the (dark) poo from mom's milk you should see regularity.

I'm attaching the link below on baby squirrel care that's pretty informative and may be of help to you.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

bre (09-12-2020)