Thread: Feeding Baby Flyer

Default Feeding Baby Flyer

So I started this on the Baby Squirrel section but I'm thinking this may be a more appropriate place? I'm getting a bit concerned as our boy is pretty consistently only taking 1cc/feeding, while previously he would go as high as 1.5cc at times...

Hi all! New poster here and I am SO glad we found you. My husband works in tree trimming and restorative forestry/logging and often encounters flying squirrels. Last week (Thursday) he had his first experience with orphans- one was already dead but he brought the other home for rehab. I've been reading up like crazy but a little paranoid about doing something wrong so it's great to have somewhere to ask questions.

We've named the little guy (gal?) Acorn When he came home Thursday his eyes were still closed but by the end of the day he had opened them so we're fairly confident that he's around 5-5.5 weeks. Feeding guidelines I've found are recommending 5-7% of his body weight every 4 hours, with a longer overnight interval of 7-8 hours. He weighs in at 20 grams. We started him with goat milk from our goats but received the order of Fox Valley 20/50 on Sunday so he is now on formula.

My concerns are that the little guy seems to get hungry in between feedings. He will usually do 1-1.5cc in a feeding and is pretty clear about when he is full and ready to be done. But if I go back and pick him up before the next feeding he's licking my hands, nuzzling and generally looking for a treat. He also hasn't gained any weight in the 4 days he's been here and I'm not sure how quickly we should see a change there.

He is pooping on his own now (yay!) with no sign of diarrhea or constipation. He is getting much more active and exploring rather than sleeping all the time, until we feed him and put him in a milk-coma. I'm not seeing anything in his demeanor that suggests 'sick' or 'depressed' (I'm no squirrel expert but have a lot of experience with young livestock and watching for subtle signs of problems...) but I really want to be sure we're doing right by him and getting him everything he needs to grow and mature. I stopped at the local feed store today and they were sold out of rodent blocks but I plan to get some of those in his cage to nibble on between formula feedings as well. Any other tips, suggestions or ideas for things we can do for the little guy?

Default Re: Feeding Baby Flyer

I did nurse my baby flyer from the time he was a few days old,until he was weaned several weeks later.
    There is a member here named Trish who gave me a precise recipe for formula...it was goat milk,heavy cream,plain organic yoghurt and there may have been one other ingredient.I do not know the proportions. HlI will try to find her username and post it here. There is a sub forum on this squirrel board, just for flying squirrels, but I can't locate it for some reason.maybe there is someone who could help post a link to it.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Fritzie&Richie's Mom from:

akh (09-13-2020)

to TSB!

Sorry you have not gotten more responses before now. Flyers open their eyes a little earlier than the greys do, just FYI. The Fox Valley 20/50 is a fine formula for him but it is time to start adding rodent block (and only rodent block until they are eating that well). Henry's sells the best rodent block, they are a supplement block and they need to eat only 2 - 3 each day. With block form the feed store (commercial block) it will need to be about 80% or more of their entire diet.

He should be gaining weight every day at this age. Can you post a pic of him?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

akh (09-13-2020)

Thanks for the feedback! Acorn is doing really well, I think. I was concerned about him not gaining weight so we went to an every 3 hour feeding schedule for a few days and once he picked up a bit we've dropped him back to every 4 hours. He will consistently eat 1.5-1.75 mLs per feeding and doesn't seem to be nearly so nosy and hungry in between. He weighed in at 26 grams this morning and has been steadily gaining. I did get some rodent blocks at the feed store this week and have started adding them to his cage. He will nibble on them a bit and I think the transition to solid foods will be fairly simple.

Here are a few photos of our guy. His favorite activity is to climb up my arm to my neck and hide under all my hair, so pardon the strange angles! It's really hard to get good photos of him since he won't sit still for more than a half second at a time
    Name:  119235575_333489564531607_6240211280842896880_n.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  96.3 KB
    Name:  119107891_269015040736356_7482628682763329129_n.jpg
Size:  86.4 KB
    Name:  119136304_2982704678500639_6354402519058028534_n.jpg
Size:  101.0 KB

You want to get blocks from here...these are some of the best blocks with the right ratios for a healthy flyer.
    https://www.henryspets.com/
    OR get them on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Henrys-Health...-4&tag=mh0b-20

Glad your baby is eating better.
    Once he is eating blocks very very well add in some veggies as these are more important then fruits. Flyers will eat the yummy sweet stuff first and not eat the good stuff. Greens like kale are good for them carrots are sweeter so thry will pick them before greens. Get the idea LOL

Here is a good list of things to feed flyers..it is from the Flyer section on here. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ying-Squirrels
    NUTS should be fed very sparingly and only once he is eating veggies real well. Waxworms are a good treat but watch your fingers. I order them from Rainbow Meal worms https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/ they have a two week turn around time right now.
    Let him wean himself off the formula the longer he takes it the better off he will be. Less chance of a calcium problem.