Thread: (I hope I知 in the right place) 4 week old sneezing

Hybrid View

Default (I hope I知 in the right place) 4 week old sneezing

I think I posted this in the wrong place before...

I have a 4 week old eastern grey. I致e had him for 24 hours now. He seems to be a stubborn eater. He痴 active. But he sneezes every so often. I don稚 hear any clicking. He seems to make like suckling noises every so often but I知 still paranoid that he could be getting pneumonia. Do baby痴 sneeze often for no reason? I don稚 have any perfumes or scents around him so that wouldn稚 be the reason for his sneezing. Thanks in advance

Default Re: (I hope I知 in the right place) 4 week old sneezing

Yes, they can sneeze often for no apparent reason... but... what is the history? If he fell from his nest, good chance he bumped his head / nose and that may be why all the sneezes. They too often land on their head at this age.

As for feeding, it takes a while for them to get accustom to their new normal. Make certain he is fully hydrated before feeding any formula (what formula are you using?). Most of us give only hydration fluids the first 24 hours after intake.

It helps to be warm, dark and quiet place when feeding. Wrap him up like a burrito in a peice of cloth (fleece or flannel preferred) and if his eyes are open (I assume they are not at this age) cover them also, that will help keep them calm.

Here is a link to a 6 page long primer on baby squirrel care:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

to TSB and ask any questions you might have!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Lecrayolacrayon (09-09-2020)

He was pulled out of a bush by a neighbors dog. (They called us because we found a squirrel the week before and bought everything to foster them). No punctures anywhere. I知 feeding him either fox valley squirrel formula or a pedialyte mixture (literally anything I can get into him at this point) he痴 hydrated from what I致e read (pinched his skin and it bounced right back. Both eyes opened yesterday, he started peeing and pooping on his own literally 30 minutes after his second eye opened.

I can get .5mils in him and then he quits. The most I致e ever gotten into him was 2mil at a time. He痴 only 49grams and I know he should be at least 60 grams at his age. I知 now starting to worry there痴 something else going on that痴 causing him to not want to eat.

I'm very new to this. I found my first every squirrel and a pinky on July 27th, at 12 grams. He was around 52 grams when he was 5 weeks old. I got booster from Henry's to add to his regular formula, and then he started gaining weight fast. I weighed him just now (at 7 weeks) and he is 145 grams!!! I know he is still not at his "ideal" weight, but he looks good (not skinny or thin) and he is healthy... I think maybe sometimes they need to "fix" and regulate before start gaining weight. Again, I'm very new, so, just sharing my experience with my Buddy.

If I can get formula into him I値l def remember that but he痴 almost refusing to eat

Quote Originally Posted by Lecrayolacrayon View Post
    If I can get formula into him I値l def remember that but he痴 almost refusing to eat
    Are you keeping his formula real warm during feeding?
    Squirrel babies like their formula close to hot, a lot warmer then one would a human baby.
    It tends to cool off when feeding unless container is kept in some hot water or on a heat source.
    They do tend to refuse it once it starts cooling down.

Please post a picture of this baby for assessment...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Buddy (09-09-2020)

Is the formula or water or whatever you are feeding warm? I remember my boy used to refuse to drink even if it was slightly warm... he still doesn't like it if it's not really warm. They seem to like it when it's really warm (not hot though).