Thread: Almost back on track? Baby squirrel week two with us. Still not sure of age...

Default Almost back on track? Baby squirrel week two with us. Still not sure of age...

We've had our baby for since Aug 23rd so just a little over 2 weeks. She now (since last Wednesday) eating Fox Valley 20/50. She was very thin when we found her and had gray tint but it didn't look like hair yet.

She pees and poops on her own now (since Day 2 or 3) and she has bottom teeth but eyes still closed. Based on what I've read, her activity level is on track for that of a 4 week old.

The scale came a day after the formula. She was on Saturday 43g, Monday, 48g, and today 56g? I ordered the FV boost last week. It should arrive tomorrow but I'm wondering if she still needs it? About how much should she weigh? Is she behind? Should I still use the Boost when it comes?

She has never had any stomach issues at all so, if she's healthily making up for lost time, I don't know if I want to introduce something that may give her diarrhea or stomach upset.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Almost back on track? Baby squirrel week two with us. Still not sure of age...

If you can post a picture of her that would provide lots of additional information.

Default Re: Almost back on track? Baby squirrel week two with us. Still not sure of age...

Here is one from today. In different shots (poses) she looks different but this one shows her body. Thanks for any help. I'll keep posting weight gains and ask again when the Boost comes whether or not I should use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Also, if you want to see progress from Day 1, the pics are in my profile. They go in opposite order (sorry) but you can see she goes from superskinny and dehydrated to looking better each day.

Helen was older when she lost her mom so I can't say about the weight gain at that stage of development, but she seems to be putting on weight nicely. Maybe some members with this stage of life can comment.

Name:  IMG_20200411_143550.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  170.0 KB

Like you I made do with what I had when I started. I didn't have a scale, I just monitored inputs and outputs and activity level. The more you pay attention to them the more you will learn about what they want and need.

I found this document useful: Stool problems with squirrels.pdf

They are cautious but also very curious. Eventually they will be able to get to just about any surface in the house. They aren't afraid to fall in the process so be sure they are in a place with soft floors. Soft carpet or hardwood floors with some bounce are okay. (That is what I have.) I would avoid tile and concrete, if at all possible.

The first time she dropped to the floor I was a bit appalled. I had put her on a low dresser that I had pulled away from the bed to try to temporarily contain her. The gap was 18". That didn't stop her from trying. Subsequently I put a pad down because I knew she would keep trying.

They will settle for negative attention if they can't get positive attention.

Mine regarded electrical wires as branches and chewed on them if they were in the way. I don't know if she outgrew this phase or my repeatedly redirections have altered her behavior. Yelling at them will only make them more persistent in an inappropriate behavior.

Don't give them any cardboard tubes, toilet paper, paper towel. That led to a terrible, very quick unexpected consequence. She used up one of her lives on that one.

They will try to build multiple nests as they do in the wild. Give them material that you don't mind them chewing up.

When they are young you can take them outside but eventually that is a bad idea because they will run away to seek shelter. Squirrels know that if they stay in the same place out in the open on the ground that something will come eat them. As top predators we are oblivious to this. She won't be trying to get away but just to find a safer place.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

mamaardilla (09-09-2020)

I figured out a lot of behavior problems by reminding myself to "Think like a squirrel." "How is this a behavior that is essential for survival?"

Initially, I put her bed on the floor. Mistake. She has never made a nest on the floor. It is always up somewhere. There are always multiple escape routes and a tight, squirrel sized place where they can hide.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

mamaardilla (09-09-2020)

Correction, second sentence: Maybe some members familiar with this stage of development ...

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

mamaardilla (09-09-2020)

Wink Re: Almost back on track? Baby squirrel week two with us. Still not sure of age...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    I figured out a lot of behavior problems by reminding myself to "Think like a squirrel." "How is this a behavior that is essential for survival?"

Initially, I put her bed on the floor. Mistake. She has never made a nest on the floor. It is always up somewhere. There are always multiple escape routes and a tight, squirrel sized place where they can hide.
    Thanks for the awesome info! I've been stocking up on toilet paper rolls since other sites said she'll play with them later...

I haven't babysquirrel proofed my home yet but I have infant/toddler grandbabies so most of the work is done. And carpet everywhere but the kitchen and garage LOL.

My hubby is a carpenter and is using specs from a website to construct her a nesting box that we will eventually put inside her bigger cage and then, when she's ready, put the nesting box up in the big tree in front (we have like 20-25 squirrels in our yard) and open the cage at the bottom of the tree and watch. And watch. And watch. LOL. We'll see. Right now I keep her little box in the garage because a) it's super warm in there always and b) always quiet (no tv or phones or kitchen noises). She does spend time on me after each feeding. Her eyes still aren't open but she's quite the little snuggler.

Once she has all her hair and doesn't need heat source (I keep house at 74 day/70 night) I may transfer her to our guest room and make it her own until it's time for her to "make her move." Not sure if that is good idea or not so I'll ask for opinions on that when the time comes.

Thanks for your kind words and attention! I guess I'll have a better guess of her age once she opens her eyes. As for her eating etc. she, oddly, eats and then refuses to eat more just about exactly at point that the chart shows so I appreciated your comment about listening to them. Before I even had the scale she was already doing her part but now it's just reassurance that, for her weight, she's eating just fine.

Thanks again!

The hair continues to grow thicker and thicker with time. Mine continued to snuggle for I think a month after the picture I attached. By this I mean by her choice she was somewhere on me all of the time unless she was eating or sleeping. They spend a lot of time in the nest snuggling, even once their eyes open. Their ability to generate their own body heat continues to improve over time.

It is great that your husband is carpenter. She will have first class accommodations all of the way.

I am building a house and Helen's squirrel house has turned into a precision wood working project. Yikes. My head hurts sometimes.

I used to put nuts in my pocket so that I could set one down and be able to leave the room and close the door. Eventually she figured this out. I saw her rolling about with a roll of paper towels and thought: "Maybe that empty toilet paper roll will make a good toy." I quickly grabbed it and stuffed it in my coat pocket so that we could get back to her room as quick as possible before she got into any more trouble. Immediately she dashed down me and dove into the pocket, simultaneously she jammed herself into the roll with her head coming out the far end. She had put herself in a straight jacket and promptly freaked out. She cried and squirmed and fell out of my pocket onto the kitchen floor still jammed into the roll. This all happened in less than 2 seconds. I reached to catch her, but I was too late. If her limbs had been free, such a fall would be no problem. She could have broken her neck. I grabbed her up and tore the roll down the side and she went under the cabinet and refused to come out, not making a sound. I was frantic worrying about a swelling brain injury. Very carefully I unloaded the cabinet and took it apart.

Moral of the story: squirrels can find a million ways to get into serious trouble in very unpredictable ways. They are impulsive.

I think the guest room is a good idea. It will allow her to practice jumping and leaping in a safe environment, not worrying about predators.