Hi all! New poster here and I am SO glad we found you. My husband works in tree trimming and restorative forestry/logging and often encounters flying squirrels. Last week (Thursday) he had his first experience with orphans- one was already dead but he brought the other home for rehab. I've been reading up like crazy but a little paranoid about doing something wrong so it's great to have somewhere to ask questions.

We've named the little guy (gal?) Acorn When he came home Thursday his eyes were still closed but by the end of the day he had opened them so we're fairly confident that he's around 5-5.5 weeks. Feeding guidelines I've found are recommending 5-7% of his body weight every 4 hours, with a longer overnight interval of 7-8 hours. He weighs in at 20 grams. We started him with goat milk from our goats but received the order of Fox Valley 20/50 on Sunday so he is now on formula.

My concerns are that the little guy seems to get hungry in between feedings. He will usually do 1-1.5cc in a feeding and is pretty clear about when he is full and ready to be done. But if I go back and pick him up before the next feeding he's licking my hands, nuzzling and generally looking for a treat. He also hasn't gained any weight in the 4 days he's been here and I'm not sure how quickly we should see a change there.

He is pooping on his own now (yay!) with no sign of diarrhea or constipation. He sleeps a lot and likes his bedding and working down to the heating pad, but when I get him out for feeding he is bright eyed and active until he finishes and goes into a milk-coma. I'm not seeing anything in his demeanor that suggests 'sick' or 'depressed' (I'm no squirrel expert but have a lot of experience with young livestock and watching for subtle signs of problems...) but I really want to be sure we're doing right by him and getting him everything he needs to grow and mature. I stopped at the local feed store today and they were sold out of rodent blocks but I plan to get some of those in his cage to nibble on between formula feedings as well. Any other tips, suggestions or ideas for things we can do for the little guy?