Thread: 11 week old wont eat his vegies

Question 11 week old wont eat his vegies

Hi everyone :-) I'm new here. I raised a lot of squirrels in my past but it's been about 30 years .

I have an 11 week-old boy Fox squirrel. I've had him since he was about 5 weeks old. His eyes were open and his ears were closed. I started him on the temporary goat's milk formula until his Fox Valley 20/50 arrived. He is still not weaned and I am overwintering him. He has been on Henry's blocks since he was 6 weeks old and he takes 18 ml Fox Valley 20/50 formula three times a day currently.

I've also been giving him solid foods including rat and mice blocks, green leaf lettuce, Romaine, cilantro, cucumber, sugar snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, avocado, brussel sprouts, and cabbage. I limit the carrots and avacado.

I would also add one piece of fruit per day such as one blueberry or a bite of Apple or banana and would give him half of a pecan OR walnut OR an almond per day.

At first, he liked his veggies but as of the last week and a half, he just isn't interested in any of them so I cut out the fruit and the nuts. He's also not too interested in his Henry's blocks. And won't touch the rat and mice blocks.

In the morning, I give him his formula and then let him play for a while, then I fix his veggies, fresh water and two Henry's blocks. He doesn't touch any of it. Around 3 p.m. I give him formula again, play with him and refresh his veggies. He mostly plays with the vegetables by taking them out of the bowl but doesn't seem to be eating them. By evening he might have eaten one of his Henry's blocks. And he gets formula again around 8 p.m.

Considering I wasn't giving him much fruit or nuts, I thought that by cutting those out, he would go back to eating his veggies and blocks but he seems to want to be a formula baby.

He also gets maple, apple and oak branches with leaves.

Any suggestion to get him to eat his vegies? I know about Henry's picky blocks which would be my next step if he won't eat the regular Henry's but I don't know what to do about the vegetables. I keep buying new things for him to try but he just isn't interested.

He's a very happy, healthy, active boy otherwise.

Default Re: 11 week old wont eat his vegies

It has been my experience that picky eater and hazelnut blocks are liked better than the regular Henrys block. Try cutting out the morning feeding of formula. That should be when he’s hungriest and maybe he’ll be more interested in his block and veggies then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It has been my experience that picky eater and hazelnut blocks are liked better than the regular Henrys block. Try cutting out the morning feeding of formula. That should be when he’s hungriest and maybe he’ll be more interested in his block and veggies then.
    Thank you. I'll try that but I know he'll miss his milk LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Well, its been 2 days and he still doesnt want his vegies. I didnt give him formula for both breakfasts like you suggested. I think he likes being a big bottle baby.